Warren mundine, a running joke

Remove this Banner Ad

So remind me, there can't be quotas for women in the Liberal Party as all pre-selection must be done by merit.

Unless you're Warren Mundine. Or Craig Kelly.

The Libs are going to implode post election if they can't get their s**t together, which one doubts they can.

So remind me, there can't be quotas for women in the Liberal Party as all pre-selection must be done by merit.

Unless you're Warren Mundine. Or Craig Kelly.

The Libs are going to implode post election if they can't get their s**t together, which one doubts they can.

How about quotas for Indigenous Australians? Or maybe quotas is a dumb idea.

How about quotas for Indigenous Australians? Or maybe quotas is a dumb idea.
Abbott wanted permanent indigenous representation in the senate which was an idea of merit.

Abbott wanted permanent indigenous representation in the senate which was an idea of merit.

Source please.

And why do you think a race based policy is better than a system of merit? Are there any other races you want inclusion in the senate for?

Source please.

And why do you think a race based policy is better than a system of merit? Are there any other races you want inclusion in the senate for?
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...idea-whose-time-has-come-20190121-p50sna.html

So what was Abbott’s big idea? According to Pearson, as prime minister in September 2014, Abbott suggested to him that a block of Indigenous seats in the Senate might be the “simplest” solution to the question of representation.

Arguing for 'merit' based inclusion in a thread about a Lib candidate parachuted into a seat without merit is not the strongest hand here. When has merit been the overriding factor in politics?

TBF, Mundine's not going to win- didnt the Libs only hold it with a 0.7% margin last time

This is a perception based selection.

There will be probably something said along the lines by Sco Mo of:
"I understand the Aborigines are upset about Jan 26, and the Liberal Party understands this, but we have been actively seeking to improve our relations with Aborigines, hence why we are running Warren Mundine in this seat".

So what was Abbott’s big idea? According to Pearson, as prime minister in September 2014, Abbott suggested to him that a block of Indigenous seats in the Senate might be the “simplest” solution to the question of representation.​
The idea surfaced in The Australian the next day in a report that dismissed it as impractical. Pearson himself thought it delusional to imagine this being more easily passed in a referendum than an advisory council. Abbott himself soon backed away.​

So this was it? LOL

So what was Abbott’s big idea? According to Pearson, as prime minister in September 2014, Abbott suggested to him that a block of Indigenous seats in the Senate might be the “simplest” solution to the question of representation.​
The idea surfaced in The Australian the next day in a report that dismissed it as impractical. Pearson himself thought it delusional to imagine this being more easily passed in a referendum than an advisory council. Abbott himself soon backed away.​

So this was it? LOL
You wanted a source, I gave one. Are you able to put partisanship aside and discuss the issue maturely?

Arguing for 'merit' based inclusion in a thread about a Lib candidate parachuted into a seat without merit is not the strongest hand here. When has merit been the overriding factor in politics?

I thought I was responding to a question about quotas for women in the Liberal Party. It seems to be a big deal for the ALP to appoint people based on quotas rather than merit.

I thought I was responding to a question about quotas for women in the Liberal Party. It seems to be a big deal for the ALP to appoint people based on quotas rather than merit.
I think the overall issue in that instance is a push to increase representation in parliament to sometime more akin to the population in general (e.g. 50% women) and quotas are but one method to achieve that aim.

Many in the Libs believe the current approach isn't working, and the problem seems set to get worse given the resignations plus the rumours about Bishop vacating after the election due to her distaste at the candidate who would replace her if she resigned now.

Looking across the chamber in both houses merit seems in short supply - if you want a more partisan example, consider Glen Drury's career.

You wanted a source, I gave one. Are you able to put partisanship aside and discuss the issue maturely?

When you stated that 'Abbott wanted permanent indigenous representation in the senate' it was really a thought bubble that went nowhere.

I'm still waiting on a reply to my question.

And why do you think a race based policy is better than a system of merit? Are there any other races you want inclusion in the senate for?​

Notice this bloke pops up again
Very ambitious and I mean VERY

Ex president of the ALP ( 1 year lol) 3 rd on the senate seat , bitter and salty
Picked up 30 prices of silver and worked for Abbott

Bolt report used him for balance , which shows the level of bias on that station ( us style)
His own show on sky news
Treat his opinions as a grain of salt , disgrace to all first Australians and their off spring as explained by his second wife who certainly has more class than him
Amazing he's running for libs being Gerald Henderson son in law,I'm surprised it's taken so long

BOTTOM OF THE Barrell
Who's next jones and hadley

Owned and evil , ex president of the uranium society , no vested interest right

Loves god though and his deep pockets
Sound familiar ?

Racist!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't have a system of merit now - that's the point.
The system works well in NZ where they have permanent Maori representation in the senate, and if we have a plethora of indigenous organisations that could be merged/combined to provide a real voice that seems to be getting drowned out by competing interests.

As for the 'other races' comment, surely you can see that indigenous Australians have unique circumstances?

I think the overall issue in that instance is a push to increase representation in parliament to sometime more akin to the population in general (e.g. 50% women) and quotas are but one method to achieve that aim.

Many in the Libs believe the current approach isn't working, and the problem seems set to get worse given the resignations plus the rumours about Bishop vacating after the election due to her distaste at the candidate who would replace her if she resigned now.

Looking across the chamber in both houses merit seems in short supply - if you want a more partisan example, consider Glen Drury's career.

I think you are talking about the equal outcomes vs equal opportunity debate. Equal outcomes would mean you have to make a judgment on each 'diversity group' in society then bump people into positions based on quotas of race, gender, sexuality, disability, hair colour etc. It's impractical and fundamentally immoral to assign positions of power based on subjective classifications.

Kelly O'Dwyer wasn't a great talent but got ahead by being female. She's now claiming to be a victim because she's female. OK.

I think you are talking about the equal outcomes vs equal opportunity debate. Equal outcomes would mean you have to make a judgment on each 'diversity group' in society then bump people into positions based on quotas of race, gender, sexuality, disability, hair colour etc. It's impractical and fundamentally immoral to assign positions of power based on subjective classifications.

Kelly O'Dwyer wasn't a great talent but got ahead by being female. She's now claiming to be a victim because she's female. OK.
Equality of access to opportunity is something I believe most sides want, but does outcome at least in some part help inform how well that access is applied?

Again, given the pre-selection shenanigans of the major parties and dodgy preference deals for the independents and minor parties (the Reason Party in Victoria begin a notable exception) we aren't exactly departing from a situation where merit is an overriding consideration anyway.

The system works well in NZ where they have permanent Maori representation in the senate, and if we have a plethora of indigenous organisations that could be merged/combined to provide a real voice that seems to be getting drowned out by competing interests.

As for the 'other races' comment, surely you can see that indigenous Australians have unique circumstances?

How many Senate Seats for Indigenous Reps? 1? 2?

How are they chosen? 1 nominated by the opposition and 1 nominated by the government?

The difference between here and NZ is really interesting. Firstly, I don't think there should be permanent Maori representation in government.

But there's much more of a cultural amalgamation in NZ than here. For example, it's a big thing to do the haka whether from Maori, European or mixed.

No. Every 'race' has unique circumstances.

The difference between here and NZ is really interesting. Firstly, I don't think there should be permanent Maori representation in government.

But there's much more of a cultural amalgamation in NZ than here. For example, it's a big thing to do the haka whether from Maori, European or mixed.

Well for the avoidance of doubt, nobody is proposing this for anyone other than the original inhabitants of Australia.

Only Indigenous Australians can point to a continued presence on this continent for more than 250 years.

How many Senate Seats for Indigenous Reps? 1? 2?

How are they chosen? 1 nominated by the opposition and 1 nominated by the government?
In the NZ example they hold elections but that is a more established system with a greater number of senators than Australia would likely commit to.

I'd imagine advocates would request 2 senate seats as that most closely matches the ~3% indigenous population. You would assume that the senator(s) would become a proxy spokesperson for indigenous affairs, noting that like every other group of people in the country the population is made up of people with different ideas and competing interests.

In the NZ example they hold elections but that is a more established system with a greater number of senators than Australia would likely commit to.

I'd imagine advocates would request 2 senate seats as that most closely matches the ~3% indigenous population. You would assume that the senator(s) would become a proxy spokesperson for indigenous affairs, noting that like every other group of people in the country the population is made up of people with different ideas and competing interests.

How do you account for/counter the likely ideological swing to the Left that these 2 seats will cause?

dont think i need to explain statements.

soft

I'll answer it.
Nothing i'd said previous to your statement indicated i was " offended " , you just wanted to have a ping , which is fine as long as you don't talk nonsensical s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back