Warren mundine, a running joke

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Fukushima was 2011
iu
And yet...

1548324083738.png

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesc...-deathprint-a-price-always-paid/#2f9f079649d2

Statistically, four times the people are killed installing solar panels on rooftops yet you peddle fear about one of the safest power sources of them all. You point to a freak accident involving the fourth strongest earthquake in recorded history (an seismological event that will never occur in Australia) and a soon-to-be decommissioned reactor as evidence of failure, while ignoring the hundreds of reactors around the world which have operated for years without incident.

Our failure to embrace safe, affordable and reliable nuclear power has helped lead us to the embarrassing situation where AEMO knows there's going to be a blackout tomorrow and there's nothing they can do about it. And people like you, those who spread falsified and exaggerated misinformation, should bear some of the blame.

It is not 1980 anymore.

I think Fukushima was 2011
iu
That is a wave height amplitude map from the tsunami. It was peddled by morons after the earthquake as some sort of "radiation distribution" map because there was no evidence to back up their wish list of wild claims. Plz try to avoid the same stupidity.

Fukushima with hindsight is a triumph of mankind. Conceived, designed and built within 25 years of the first nuclear blast. Incredible achievement. Naively positioned however in possibly the worst place imaginable it suffered the largest recorded earthquake, then quickly smashed by one of the largest recorded tsunami's. Two of the worst imaginable apocalyptic events in quick succession and yet human toll = 0. Nothing but a quarantine and long cleanup required. If it wasnt an obselete design with backup generators at or below sea level it could have been back up and operating within months or even weeks.
There can be no better confirmation of the safety of nuclear power. The jury is not out anymore.

Yes, if you were an anti nuke CAMPAIGNER during the 80's or since you have been proven to be a moron and luddite in the extreme. The most regressive stupidity we have seen for 50 years in a nation with a stable craton and huge reserves. We rejected clean safe reliable energy on the basis of what ? Singing a song and banging on a tambourine.

I wonder if those campaigners will ever take at least partial responsibility or admit they were IN FAVOUR of and actively sponsored high emission power generation. The same moronic element is still kicking around amongst the poorly educated and naive.

That is a wave height amplitude map from the tsunami. It was peddled by morons after the earthquake as some sort of "radiation distribution" map because there was no evidence to back up their wish list of wild claims. Plz try to avoid the same stupidity.

Fukushima with hindsight is a triumph of mankind. Conceived, designed and built within 25 years of the first nuclear blast. Incredible achievement. Naively positioned however in possibly the worst place imaginable it suffered the largest recorded earthquake, then quickly smashed by one of the largest recorded tsunami's. Two of the worst imaginable apocalyptic events in quick succession and yet human toll = 0. Nothing but a quarantine and long cleanup required. If it wasnt an obselete design with backup generators at or below sea level it could have been back up and operating within months or even weeks.
There can be no better confirmation of the safety of nuclear power. The jury is not out anymore.

Yes, if you were an anti nuke CAMPAIGNER during the 80's or since you have been proven to be a moron and luddite in the extreme. The most regressive stupidity we have seen for 50 years in a nation with a stable craton and huge reserves. We rejected clean safe reliable energy on the basis of what ? Singing a song and banging on a tambourine.

I wonder if those campaigners will ever take at least partial responsibility or admit they were IN FAVOUR of and actively sponsored high emission power generation. The same moronic element is still kicking around amongst the poorly educated and naive.
Thread is about Mr Mundine and his love of Nuclear let him be upfront and explain to his electorate that he wants a plant down the road

So Turnbull had to be rolled because he'd wanted to be a Labor Senator but a former President of the ALP who also wanted to be a Labor Senator is now OK because ...

What about those mega beings purported to be sitting underneath nuclear plants absorbing the radiation then, huh? Yes Godzilla will help us but at what cost to our cities when they clash?

Hmm, these two sentences start making real sense every day re Federal ICAC proposed by this government.

To guard against the Commission being used as a kangaroo court, Mr Morrison said only the Law Enforcement Integrity Commission could conduct public hearings.
The Commissions would not be able to operate retrospectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remind me again when Australia had it's last 9.0 earthquake and 100ft high tsunami?
Are the voters less scared of nuclear because we havent ?
Doesnt have to be that, could be any other unforeseeable event
"Black Swans Theory"

Im very happy for Mr Mundine to sell nuclear power to his electorate and the rest of Australia

Last edited:

The clean up cost is around US$200B and the latency period for thyroid cancer in particular is over a decade. If that's a triumph, we'll build the plant next to you.

You can't mitigate all the risk. And when something goes wrong (and we have two top shelf * ups in the last 40 years to look back on), it's an actual disaster.

I don't know Jack about this, and I'm too lazy to do the research, but are Thorium reactors any safer if the s**t hits the fan?

I don't know Jack about this, and I'm too lazy to do the research, but are Thorium reactors any safer if the s**t hits the fan?
Yes and they have been proven in the US but rejected because there was no weapons capabilities from the waste.

Chinese bought the intel from the US on them and are in the process of developing them
Still a long way to go

The other plus is

Cambridge scientists published a tantalising study in the Annals of Nuclear Energy in February showing that it is possible to "achieve near complete transuranic waste incineration" by throwing the old residue into the reactor with thorium.

In other words, it can help clean up the mess left by a half a century of nuclear weapons and uranium reactors, instead of transporting it at great cost to be encased in concrete and buried for milennia.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance...ail-for-clean-nuclear-power-from-thorium.html

Last edited:
Yes and they have been proven in the US but rejected because there was no weapons capabilities from the waste.

Chinese bought the intel from the US on them and are in the process of developing them
Still a long way to go
So, we have the largest reserves of Thorium in the world. Why in the hell aren't we at the forefront of fast-tracking the technology and building the bloody things?

I did some reading about it years ago - the advantages are that you can effectively use spent fuel rods so helps waste storage. There are some pretty heavy duty gammas emitted by the by products in the U232 decay chain. It has a shorter half life (69 years) but the flux of the isotope is much higher as a result

The isotope 232U has another very important feature. 232U has a relatively short half-life of 68.9 years, and therefore the specific activity of 232U is much higher than specific activity of the isotope 238U. In addition the decay chain of 232U produces very penetrating gamma rays. The most important gamma emitter, accounting for about 85 percent of the total dose from 232U after 2 years, is thallium 208, that emits gamma rays of 2.6 MeV which are very energetic and highly penetrating. These intense radiations make handling of fissile 233U or reprocessed uranium contaminated with 232U far more dangerous than conventional fuels.

https://www.nuclear-power.net/nuclear-power-plant/nuclear-fuel/uranium/uranium-232/

I did some reading about it years ago - the advantages are that you can effectively use spent fuel rods so helps waste storage. There are some pretty heavy duty gammas emitted by the by products in the U232 decay chain. It has a shorter half life (69 years) but the flux of the isotope is much higher as a result

The isotope 232U has another very important feature. 232U has a relatively short half-life of 68.9 years, and therefore the specific activity of 232U is much higher than specific activity of the isotope 238U. In addition the decay chain of 232U produces very penetrating gamma rays. The most important gamma emitter, accounting for about 85 percent of the total dose from 232U after 2 years, is thallium 208, that emits gamma rays of 2.6 MeV which are very energetic and highly penetrating. These intense radiations make handling of fissile 233U or reprocessed uranium contaminated with 232U far more dangerous than conventional fuels.

https://www.nuclear-power.net/nuclear-power-plant/nuclear-fuel/uranium/uranium-232/
I didn't really understand a lot of that. However my question was more to the point of a Fukashima type event, would the consequences be similar?

I didn't really understand a lot of that. However my question was more to the point of a Fukashima type event, would the consequences be similar?

I don’t know, but one of the issues of conventional nuclear power is waste storage. You bury in concrete for tens of thousands of years and cross your fingers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back