Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed that it’s sold as being a home for the women’s side and not for the men . The article talked about Lions AFLW deo but didn’t mention the years of work swan and others have put in . Anyway good to see this finally happen
Lol.

You do realise we are actually only able to do this because of the AFLW side right? The whole Springfield project was dead in 2014 as no funding from state/fed govt was forthcoming, let alone the $30mil that was actually needed to fill the funding gap. Not only was it a no-go, but it was never even vaguely close to getting up - it was a battle to even get AFL House to contribute $5mil to the original plan.

Springfield only seriously came back on the agenda and became a vaguely viable plan for govts to look to support once we got the AFLW licence, AFLW & womens sport had a boom AND when we had the AFLW Grand Final venue drama that ending up costing the state a few million. So yeah, pretty fair they're crediting the women's side for this result for the club.

Well, this calls for a celebration.

JdEVWlHriVMjPCPLKeVlKLLqbNU=.gif

Really great day for the club and the supporters but after so long and so many instances where we seem like it was over the line only to fall apart that now that we've finally got everything secured I just feel more relief more than joy or anything.

Players have got to be stoked as well. They now know that they are getting a new training base.
Our off-field setup looks amazing right now and usually success happens once the off field stuff gets right.
Greg Swann, Chris Fagan and David Noble have been and will be huge. Add onto the fact that we have finally got a new training base (in 2021) plus arguably the team with the most talented youngsters in the league. Everything is set in place, we just need to continue developing now.

I was the opposite, 9 months ago, and was very skeptical about what seemed to me to be mixed messages around funding. I presume this is still contingent on State funds, which were less clear.

Now, I am far more concerned about the politics. This country cannot put up with another term of LNP, Morrison, Dutton et al.
I just watched a news report, stating that Liberal Party research "reveals" that the Australian public have deep concerns with Labor's economic plans. This was reported as factual news, compelling viewers to believe they really should be, while Morrison mocked the apparently ridiculous concept of making those who should, pay more tax.

Sorry for dragging politics into this thread, but the bigger picture here is that not only are those reporting this "announcement", giving Scomo an undeserved hero's cheer, but punters are actually swallowing the narrative that Scomo has saved us with a commitment made by others, nearly a year ago.

I'll leave it there.
Yay, go Scomo.

Keep ya politics to yourself. Not the forum for one eyed political rants.

Last edited:
With Queensland being a mad Rugby League State, this is great news for the AFL in general and the Brisbane Lions Club and fans.
$70 million is some serious funding and way more than the Brisbane Broncos received a few years back.

Broncos Breakup of Funds
Federal Government $6.8 Mill
Brisbane Broncos Ltd $20.4 Mill
Total $27.2 Mill

I recall the State Government basically donated the Land (some old TAFE buildings were pulled down) for a $1 a year grandfather lease so $value not known??.
Link to Government site for those figures if anyone wants to check.

https://minister.infrastructure.gov.au/mcveigh/releases/2018/february/jm028_2018.aspx

So it has taken a while and still some time to go. Maybe it will coincide with our next Premiership.
We can only hope, especially at this time of the season.
So congratulations to all concerned past present and future until it's completed.

Well that will kill the academy, imagine trying to get your kid from Redlands to Springfield on a Wednesday arvo by 6pm. I get the Women's footy for a home ground, even though Coorparoo would be ideal. I don't get the logic in it.

That is what the train is for. One of the easiest commutes in Brisbane I would think. Redland >> Roma ST >> Springfield.

Any how. Hooray at last:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I think we can take it that the club were happy for the pollies and others to portray this as an AFLW initiative, even if that is playing somewhat loosely with the truth. There are no votes for Scomo in throwing money at the Brisbane Lions per se. And reality is, but for the AFLW and community elements of this project, it would never have gotten off the ground. Who cares, as long as our footy club gets the training and admin base it so desperately needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is what the train is for. One of the easiest commutes in Brisbane I would think. Redland >> Roma ST >> Springfield.

Any how. Hooray at last:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Doubtful the demand is there for it, but existing infrastructure could allow you to run special 'football' trains on the GC/Cleveland lines direct to Springfield without having to go all the way into town.

Lol.

You do realise we are actually only able to do this because of the AFLW side right? The whole Springfield project was dead in 2014 as no funding from state/fed govt was forthcoming, let alone the $30mil that was actually needed to fill the funding gap. Not only was it a no-go, but it was never even vaguely close to getting up - it was a battle to even get AFL House to contribute $5mil to the original plan.

Springfield only seriously came back on the agenda and became a vaguely viable plan for govts to look to support once we got the AFLW licence, AFLW & womens sport had a boom AND when we had the AFLW Grand Final venue drama that ending up costing the state a few million. So yeah, pretty fair they're crediting the women's side for this result for the club.

Completely agree. Without the AFLW final fiasco we never would have got the support needed to get this over the line. Finally getting away from having to split training between the Gabba and other venues and being less dependent on Stadiums Qld will be such a big thing for us both in a performance sense and financially.

Great day for the club and I'm very happy the AFLW girls will finally get a permanent home.

Wonder if the base has the ability to upgrade in future years so it can remain state of the art
Anything can be upgraded if you have the money. It allegedly has some scope for expansion which for me is the bigger issue, although there will no doubt be limitations. In that regard I'm curious as to whether the second playing field shown in the drawings is planned for now or later. Could be a bit tight on scheduling if only one oval is available for the men, women, and third party use.

You'd absolutely hope so, given that some other club's new training bases will be undergoing further significant upgrades in the coming year(s).
At what point does the law of diminishing returns kick in though? Other than the dick measuring contests that the big clubs will undoubtedly engage in, there will be a point where it is more about refinement than upgrade.

Well that will kill the academy, imagine trying to get your kid from Redlands to Springfield on a Wednesday arvo by 6pm. I get the Women's footy for a home ground, even though Coorparoo would be ideal. I don't get the logic in it.

It'll only be the 17's & 18s training there. The others, I'd imagine, would continue the practice of breaking into regional groups. There might be some scope for more training there, but they're not going to move all age groups to Springfield.

The point about peak hour is still valid. Perhaps they might adjust the time for kids training there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back