Who is the best coach in the league at the moment?

Which coach is the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson clearly what a boring question

Said this on the Melbourne board already, he's probably not the best but I think Brad Scott is the most underrated.

I think in terms of quality of results with list available he's been very very good.

Took North to back to back prelims with a good not great list, people use that as the stick to beat him with but he was trying to win a flag, more coaches should try it.
His North side was competitive in almost every game last year an has really rebuilded on the run from those prelims.

Your recruiting department does the trading an drafting an it's up to your coach to get the best out of that list. I'd say he's done that almost every season he's been there.

I guarantee Carlton wouldn't still be one of the favourites for the spoon had he been in charge there rather than 'play kids = success' Bolton

Pointless given everyone will vote for their own (Hence why Hardwick is on par with Clarkson).

It has to be Clarkson - the only alternative might be Fagan.

These 2 can actually change a game around noticeably ans seem to have a gameplan beyond 'give him the ball so he can get it to x'

Voted Simpson, a team with key personnel injuries and outs that wasn't even meant to make finals according to some let alone win the comp speaks volumes to me. Honourable mentions:

Buckley (for obvious reasons)
Clarkson (nuff said)
Dimma

Oh just last year's top 4. What a huge leap.

If you dont nominate your own coach its got some merit, IMHO how could anyone go past Clarkson?

Clarkson has coached two straight sets exits which is something no other coach has done under the current finals format.

Not even Mark Williams achieved that in the early 2000's and his Port Adelaide sides were notorious for choking in finals.

Clarkson has coached two straight sets exits which is something no other coach has done under the current finals format.

Not even Mark Williams achieved that in the early 2000's and his Port Adelaide sides were notorious for choking in finals.

Getting to play finals is not achieved by the majority of coaches, sometimes teams overperform, yet you seem to suggest in Clarkos case, its a negative - perhaps you are right.

Clarkson clearly what a boring question

Said this on the Melbourne board already, he's probably not the best but I think Brad Scott is the most underrated.

I think in terms of quality of results with list available he's been very very good.

Took North to back to back prelims with a good not great list, people use that as the stick to beat him with but he was trying to win a flag, more coaches should try it.
His North side was competitive in almost every game last year an has really rebuilded on the run from those prelims.

Your recruiting department does the trading an drafting an it's up to your coach to get the best out of that list. I'd say he's done that almost every season he's been there.

I guarantee Carlton wouldn't still be one of the favourites for the spoon had he been in charge there rather than 'play kids = success' Bolton

Both Brad and Chris are underrated as coaches imo. Would have Brad slightly ahead as he has gotten heaps out of a pretty average list but Chris also has an excellent H&A record, and I’m not sure you can blame his players shitting the bed in finals on him (Their post-bye record is bizarre though).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting to play finals is not achieved by the majority of coaches, sometimes teams overperform, yet you seem to suggest in Clarkos case, its a negative - perhaps you are right.
The Geelong supporter posts a negative about Clarkson under an alias. Shocked.

Clarkson.

As much as I rate simpson as coach and he has been great at getting the absolute best out of the eagles in regards to game days and the like while he is good he isn't in the same league as Clarko and Clarko's long term results speak for themselves. If you look at the 2019 grand final i'd suggest as much as simpson made some great moves very bad coaching decisions by Buckley are what cost the pies the result.

Hardwick
Invented the small man pressure forward line and brought a rag tag group of role players and champions alike to win an unlikely drought breaking premierhip.The premiership was massive in the sporting world and revealed that Richmond has a massive supporter base that is good for the Afl and football in general.Hardwick has also managed Riewoldt ,Rance and Martin beautifully, ensuring a harmonious club.
Second, I dunno maybe Simpson.

Hardwick’s man management is exceptional. The players love him and even when we were struggling - both on and off the field - his contract extension was celebrated among the playing group. He put emphasis on playing care free and enjoyable football. His relaxed approach was what brought out the best in our playing group. I feel like he changed attitudes towards footballers as he made it acceptable for players and coaches to be open about their feelings and emotions. Lots of deep heart to heart conversations were the catalyst behind our revival in 2017 and Hardwick must be lauded for it. Buckley last year and Don Pyke this year have both adopted the fun and jovial approach that Hardwick also developed. Furthermore, Dimma goes above and beyond what is required of him as an AFL coach. He welcomed Daniel Rioli into his home and is doing the same for another young indigenous footballer named Sydney Stack, who has had a troubled upbringing with domestic violence. From all reports, Stack has settled into Melbourne well and has gotten his life on track plus also managed to land himself a spot on Richmond’s list. For that he credited Dimma. And finally, according to BigFooty, Hardwick made a bunch of spuds + Dustin Martin premiership players, so he mustn’t be too bad of a coach either.

I would have Hardwick and Simpson on par, but overall, you can’t look past Clarkson. He’s one of the greatest ever coaches and I wouldn’t be surprised if he has Hawthorn challenging once more before he pulls the pin on that gig.

1. Clarkson
2. Hardwick/Simpson
3. Longmire

Hardwick’s man management is exceptional. The players love him and even when we were struggling - both on and off the field - his contract extension was celebrated among the playing group. He put emphasis on playing care free and enjoyable football. His relaxed approach was what brought out the best in our playing group. I feel like he changed attitudes towards footballers as he made it acceptable for players and coaches to be open about their feelings and emotions. Lots of deep heart to heart conversations were the catalyst behind our revival in 2017 and Hardwick must be lauded for it. Buckley last year and Don Pyke this year have both adopted the fun and jovial approach that Hardwick also developed. Furthermore, Dimma goes above and beyond what is required of him as an AFL coach. He welcomed Daniel Rioli into his home and is doing the same for another young indigenous footballer named Sydney Stack, who has had a troubled upbringing with domestic violence. From all reports, Stack has settled into Melbourne well and has gotten his life on track plus also managed to land himself a spot on Richmond’s list. For that he credited Dimma. And finally, according to BigFooty, Hardwick made a bunch of spuds + Dustin Martin premiership players, so he mustn’t be too bad of a coach either.

I would have Hardwick and Simpson on par, but overall, you can’t look past Clarkson. He’s one of the greatest ever coaches and I wouldn’t be surprised if he has Hawthorn challenging once more before he pulls the pin on that gig.

1. Clarkson
2. Hardwick/Simpson
3. Longmire

Good point on Dimmas man management. I'd say the Tigers gameplan got picked apart a bit too easily at times 2012-2016, in 2017 along with the new assistants he finally built a plan that was simple but got the best out of the players he had, rather than trying to make the players he had what he thought was the best system. He also gets credit for developing Dusty/Riewoldt/Rance/Cotchin into elite players, it is one thing to bring talented kids into the system but it is entirely another to turn them into genuine superstars.

Good point on Dimmas man management. I'd say the Tigers gameplan got picked apart a bit too easily at times 2012-2016, in 2017 along with the new assistants he finally built a plan that was simple but got the best out of the players he had, rather than trying to make the players he had what he thought was the best system.
This is a good point. Exactly what Simpson did in 2018. He ignored the styles that had won the last few flags and went right, what are our strengths? How best do WE play? The rest is history.

This is a good point. Exactly what Simpson did in 2018. He ignored the styles that had won the last few flags and went right, what are our strengths? How best do WE play? The rest is history.

Its why I've flipped on Goodwin after doubting him a fair bit last year, he has continually recruited players that fit the system he is building to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. Goody has a long way to go but he is going about it the right way now IMO

Back