Votes: 137 56.8%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 93 38.6%
  • Nathan Broad

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s happened to Shai? I’d rather put games into him than Weller tbh. He didn’t even get a jlt game??
He played well in the VFL practice game, in the midfield.

He has come back noticeably bigger in the shoulders, chest, hips and thighs. Big summer on the weights, which would have affected his running capacity. He'll work into the season, IMO.

This is a bit of a roast, but Dusty needs to stop cruising. Enough is enough. How will we compete with the best midfields of the competition when our best midfielder is doing what he did in Round 1 and basically most of the preseason? We are heading into three match-ups (Collingwood, GWS at SSS and Port Adelaide at AO) that were a part of our 5 losses last year, so this needs to change.

We simply need our best players to be our best players and a top 3 midfielder of the competition to perform like he is a top 3 midfielder.

This is a bit of a roast, but Dusty needs to stop cruising. Enough is enough. How will we compete with the best midfields of the competition when our best midfielder is doing what he did in Round 1 and basically most of the preseason? We are heading into three match-ups (Collingwood, GWS at SSS and Port Adelaide at AO) that were a part of our 5 losses last year, so this needs to change.

We simply need our best players to be our best players and a top 3 midfielder of the competition to perform like he is a top 3 midfielder.
Seems as though he’s carrying his form from last season into this season.

Round 1 jank. I only start worrying when he can't get his hands on it.

Ease up on the Dusty bashing. He got us a flag. He can cruise around for the next 5 years for all I care. R1 a few FUps, but he will always give you 25+ and some sublime passes that make you shake your head at the skill level. Don't expect 3 votes from Dusty every week. Let's focus on the next wave of youngsters with elite potential.. Higgins, Balta and Rioli.

Having watched parts of last nights Geelong v Collingwood match, I think that Geelong may have discovered the early blueprint to beating the Pies.

The Cats were structured extremely well defensively, which negated the biggest advantage (imo) that the Pies have, speed in the forward line. If Elliot can stay healthy, with De Goey, Stephenson and others like Josh Thomas going through there, that’s a difficult forward line to match up on.

Geelong seemed to structure themselves in such a way that negated the open spaces in front of the ball to not allow the Collingwood forwards to use their pace. Albeit lucky on some occasions, they also did a reasonable job on keeping control of the footy, and not allowing the Pies’ counter attack so dominant at the back end of last season.

My match-ups would be:

Astbury —> Cox
Grimes —> De Goey
Vlastuin —> Elliot
Broad —> Mihocek
Stephenson will be our hardest match-up, and likely Houli or Short gets the nod.

However, if Garthwaite is still lacking some match fitness after Achilles soreness, the match against Collingwood is one where he probably isn’t as required as others. For this reason, I’d bring in Markov or Menadue (I would select the former, which means it’ll be Brandon Ellis) over Garth. Can always swing Balta back if required. Garth to come in round 3 against Giants.

Therefore:
Ins: Markov
Out: Rance

Some thought to Baker in for Butler as well. But I’m prepared to give Butler one more week.

Markov is a spud.

I also watched the vfl game. He wasn't good.

Ellis was easily our best and will come in if they want a mid / small replacement. Otherwise it's a choice between Balta and Garthwaite.

Round 1 jank. I only start worrying when he can't get his hands on it.
The reason why his performance is becoming urgent is because the teams we play in the next three weeks were responsible for 3/5 of our losses last year. We are probably going to lose to some teams that we beat last year, so we need to beat some teams we lost to in order to maintain our position or even go one or two better.

Having watched parts of last nights Geelong v Collingwood match, I think that Geelong may have discovered the early blueprint to beating the Pies.

The Cats were structured extremely well defensively, which negated the biggest advantage (imo) that the Pies have, speed in the forward line. If Elliot can stay healthy, with De Goey, Stephenson and others like Josh Thomas going through there, that’s a difficult forward line to match up on.

Geelong seemed to structure themselves in such a way that negated the open spaces in front of the ball to not allow the Collingwood forwards to use their pace. Albeit lucky on some occasions, they also did a reasonable job on keeping control of the footy, and not allowing the Pies’ counter attack so dominant at the back end of last season.

My match-ups would be:

Astbury —> Cox
Grimes —> De Goey
Vlastuin —> Elliot
Broad —> Mihocek
Stephenson will be our hardest match-up, and likely Houli or Short gets the nod.

However, if Garthwaite is still lacking some match fitness after Achilles soreness, the match against Collingwood is one where he probably isn’t as required as others. For this reason, I’d bring in Markov or Menadue (I would select the former, which means it’ll be Brandon Ellis) over Garth. Can always swing Balta back if required. Garth to come in round 3 against Giants.

Therefore:
Ins: Markov

Some thought to Baker in for Butler as well. But I’m prepared to give Butler one more week.
Geelong park the bus against strong sides. They don’t care if they get dominated in general play because they don’t allow many scoring opportunities. They get numbers behind the ball and kill it off pretty quickly once it gets into their defensive fifty. Scott has them clogging up the spaces well. They then hit you on the counter. I hope we defend as well as them next week.

It’s pretty much impossible to replace Rance because he is basically two players
It will come down to what the coach’s deem more important depending on who we are playing aginst week to week
If they want a more attacking back line maybe Ellis, Marcov or Menadue or if they want a traditional defender who can keep a forward accountable and getting the ball into a more attacking players hands it would be Garthwaite (when fit)

Last edited:
Shattered about Rance but if we want to be a top 4 team we need to have the depth to back it up.

Time for the young boys to step up. What better way than being thrown in the deep end. It will only help us grow as a team.

#gotiges
gonna finish 3rd now due to loosing rance

cats will be second LOL

always doesn't try against s**t teams. hopefully bog next week against colonwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully. Remember when he split Carlton apart in Round 1 2017 though after the Carlton banner had a go at his hair cut? That was amazing.

need to pay off trelol to say something bad about him in the media this week he will fire up and get 39 disposals 5 goals

Its round 1 lmao. I don't want our best player peaking in round 1

blokes injured

Out: Gastro
In: Good health

Seriously though, bring in runner to replace Rance as Collingwood only have one real tall although Mihocek, Elliott and De Goey can all mark the ball.
Cox - Astbury
Mihocek - Vlaustin
De Goey - Grimes
Elliott - Broad

In: B Ellis

Its round 1 lmao. I don't want our best player peaking in round 1
That was when we where s**t and had to prove ourselves. Now eyes are focus on fnials.
Nobody told him to peak in Round 1 and I certainly don't ask that of him. It's that him coasting in games is starting to become a frequent occurrence, meaning that this Round 1 game of his is not an isolated incident. If it was then I'll leave it as an aberration like I am doing with Jack Riewoldt's performance, who did not have his best game on Thursday.

We just don't have the midfield depth to handle this. I think he will change soon and hopefully we see him back to his best very soon.

Nobody told him to peak in Round 1 and I certainly don't ask that of him. It's that him coasting in games is starting to become a frequent occurrence, meaning that this Round 1 game of his is not an isolated incident. If it was then I'll leave it as an aberration like I am doing with Jack Riewoldt's performance, who did not have his best game on Thursday.

We just don't have the midfield depth to handle this. I think he will change soon and hopefully we see him back to his best very soon.
Effort and desire were there, IMO.
His last quarter was influential, however, his decision making was very ordinary.

Been thinking about the pies game. The more i think about it, Out: Rance, In: Ellis.
We will go for more outside run and carry to match the pies. Our existing backline matches up with the pies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So who is going down back if Ellis comes in?

B: Short Astbury Grimes
HB: Houli, Vlaustin, Broad.
Ellis can play wing/HB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back