Preview Round 1: GWS vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Sunday 24/03/2019 @ 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expected Baguley to be left out but I also understand the logic of selecting him. If he doesn’t perform he’ll be out within a few rounds, and probably for good.

I think he’s a guy who needs match fitness to get moving. The last couple of years he has looked 120 years old through Feb and March but by April some pep has returned.

Let’s see if he can pull that trick one more time..

Do people really think that Baguley was good last year? There was evidence he was cooked in 2017, he was absolutely done in 2018, and yet he is still getting games in 2019. He was one of our worst performed players in the JLT series.

The best statistical measures we have for analysing AFL footballers (the 'AFL Player Ratings') suggest that Baguley was our least effective player last year, among players with more than seven games played. Third least effective among players regularly in line for selection, ahead of just Laverde and Daniher. He was around 40% less productive per possession than his small forward peers, Fantasia and Walla, which would make him one of the least effective small forwards in the league. Running around pretending to put on pressure doesn't make you an effective footballer nor does it warrant a position in the best-22.

That Baguley was selected in round one speaks to the mediocrity that has become ingrained in not just the footy club but also its supporters. We are basically playing one man short and people on here support that decision.

Kicked 20 goals last year as a defensive fwd on that not he stays in the side.

I understand the thought process behind thinking we're better off in the longer term by moving on from Baguley, but claiming he didn't do a pretty decent job of the role demanded of him last year seems like a reinvention of history to me.

I was #1 on the get Baguley out of the side and retire him when he was playing in defense but the truth is he consistently kicked goals last year once he switched up forward and laid plenty of tackles.

Its not embracing mediocrity to play the guy that's available and best prepared to play the role. Everyone just thinks playing him will enhance our chances of winning. For the record against GWS last year he kicked 3 goals.

As the year goes on I'm hoping we see Begley take over that position but he'll need a bit more time coming back from his knee. Looks in ripping shape though and he's the one with the potential. Mosquito and Ham aren't ready yet.

Agree about Bags. He plays a pressure game and he's a coach's pet. He kicks goals, but of course he needs to clean up his disposal. Definitely the right choice for round one. You can't replace him with any of our young'uns right now. Bags is just unfortunately required in the team right now.

I don't agree with all the Baugley hate up forward. We aren't going to wins games unless we defend first with good forward pressure. Baugley does this week in week out and still kicks goals. Even if he doesn't lay tackles he is always pressuring and I read a stat that I think that he had the most high intensity sprints for us last season which illustrates a high work rate that maybe Laverde doesn't have yet as a forward. When he was in defence last season he was cooked and I was wanting him gone for good but in the short term till Laverde and Begley bang the door down in the VFL I'm happy for him to be in the team as a role player that complements the match winners we have elsewhere.

Also Parish not be selected is not the end of the world. He clearly had a great pre season but JLT form was sub par hence why Guelfi was named instead. Can see him back in the team within the first month of the season if VFL form is good

I don't mind Baguley being in the team. Senior player. Could play back if needed too (if there are injuries). Even go in the midfield for a bit to apply some tackling pressure. Keep him in.

Seems like some people are gonna have their dead dad get SLEDGED

Also Parish not be selected is not the end of the world. He clearly had a great pre season but JLT form was sub par hence why Guelfi was named instead. Can see him back in the team within the first month of the season if VFL form is good
Guelfi's JLT form wasn't great either. Neither was Baguley's.

Do people really think that Baguley was good last year? There was evidence he was cooked in 2017, he was absolutely done in 2018, and yet he is still getting games in 2019. He was one of our worst performed players in the JLT series.

The best statistical measures we have for analysing AFL footballers (the 'AFL Player Ratings') suggest that Baguley was our least effective player last year, among players with more than seven games played. Third least effective among players regularly in line for selection, ahead of just Laverde and Daniher. He was around 40% less productive per possession than his small forward peers, Fantasia and Walla, which would make him one of the least effective small forwards in the league. Running around pretending to put on pressure doesn't make you an effective footballer nor does it warrant a position in the best-22.

That Baguley was selected in round one speaks to the mediocrity that has become ingrained in not just the footy club but also its supporters. We are basically playing one man short and people on here support that decision.

It's long been held that as a "pressure forward" you're not actually expected to do anything.

Any good performance is just a bonus.

Why limit a team that way?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Devon Smith must be a pressure forward.

What does Devon Smith have to do with it?

We haven't played players like Kommer and Josh Green?

It's a whipping boy thing. Or have you given up that Devon Smith one?

I'm not going to play the game except to say that it is noted that people do actually remember what is posted so I'll take comfort in that.

I have whipping boys too Bruno. It’s ok to admit it.

Centre clearances will be huge this season. Giants were 3rd in differential last year, we were 7th, however Ward and Shiel were 2 of the top 3 for them in this regard last year. If we can clamp down on Cogs, it will be huge.
Taranto and Hopper are pretty handy in the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back