Cripps Bontempelli Kelly - The soon-to-be big 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm so tired of this debate. As far as I'm concerned if Bont is 100% fit, and returns his goalkicking accuracy to 2015/2016 levels(srs wtf is causing this), he puts a gap in this draft and probably becomes the best in the league. Just a freak of a footballer now that he is back to around 65% midfield time like he was in 2016. Past 2 years we played him forward for structural reasons, and probably because he was too injured to play mid.

But anyway they both sit 1 and 2 on the coaches votes so this is a good call by the OP. It looks like they're about to take over this league. I don't really care if people think cripps is better or if he actually is better, because as carlton supporters will say as long as we have one of them playing for us, we're luckier than 16 other teams.

Last edited:
I'm so tired of this debate. As far as I'm concerned if Bont is 100% fit, and returns his goalkicking accuracy to 2015/2016 levels(srs wtf is causing this), he puts a gap in this draft and probably becomes the best in the league. Just a freak of a footballer now that he is back to around 65% midfield time like he was in 2016. Past 2 years we played him forward for structural reasons, and probably because he was too injured to play mid.

But anyway they both sit 1 and 2 on the coaches votes so this is a good call by the OP. It looks like they're about to take over this league. I don't really care if people think cripps is better or if he actually is better, because as carlton supporters will say as long as we have one of then playing for us, we're luckier than 16 other teams.

Yup! And this is exactly what I'd be saying the last few years if I had Martin and/or Danger.

Cripps’ disposal efficiency is padded by meaningless handballs, and his kicking efficiency is helped by short safe kicks.

Bont breaks the game open with his disposals. Cripps can win 30 disposals every week for all most coaches care.

It’s cute how Carlton fans think I’m the only one acting like a flog when they act like dickheads in every thread.

Goal kicking at AFL level is mostly mental. A lot of us on this forum, I'd guess, can reliably kick from 30 out in practice or just mucking around with mates.

None of us practice as much as the AFL players do, and few of us are as physically gifted as them.

Bont's set shot results have nothing really to do with ability or technique. Once he kicks a few, the jitters will be gone and he'll be back to normal. I just hope he doesn't use the game against us to do so.

The best Carlton player I've seen is Greg Williams. When I watch Cripps I see a huge man who wins plenty of the football, but I virtually never see the ingenious disposal that was standard fare for Williams. Cripps ''one wood'' is great, but the hurt factor in his disposals is well below the greats who've played the game. It's rare for me to be blown away by something Cripps does on the football field.

Bontempelli on the other hand has an incredible footy IQ. He's just a better ''footballer''. He's over injuries that have plagued him the last year or two and I look forward to seeing his year pan out.

This is no slight on Cripps who's a great player. But surely older Carlton fans can remember the sheer brilliance of Williams and compare those memories with what they see with Cripps. It's chalk and cheese.

If we're talking about disposal then Kelly is miles ahead of the other two. Dude is the best kick (maybe second behind Whitfield) in the comp, especially flat out. He's also very reliable on his non-preferred foot. The other two can win the ball just as well but when it comes to getting rid of it I'm taking Kelly every single time.

If we're talking about disposal then Kelly is miles ahead of the other two. Dude is the best kick (maybe second behind Whitfield) in the comp, especially flat out. He's also very reliable on his non-preferred foot. The other two can win the ball just as well but when it comes to getting rid of it I'm taking Kelly every single time.
I actually think Bont's kick inside 50 is best in the league. Would love him played off a HFF, being able to take the mark (due to size) and then finding one of our big dudes lace out or to their advantage.

Kicking for goal and the rest of field kicking, I'd take Kelly, agreed.

I actually think Bont's kick inside 50 is best in the league. Would love him played off a HFF, being able to take the mark (due to size) and then finding one of our big dudes lace out or to their advantage.

Kicking for goal and the rest of field kicking, I'd take Kelly, agreed.
I can see your perspective, in any case, Cripps is definitely the worst of the 3. Obviously I'd take any of them at North in heartbeat though, all guns who are far and away better than anything we have, and quite a lot of other teams too.

lol, you don't know much about football dude.

Proven time and time again. But Cripps has kicked two goals this year so he must be...

Anyone seriously thinking Cripps’ kicking is above average, let alone near Bontempelli, is seriously struggling. Cripps is a solid kick around the average mark for an AFL footballer. If Bont took Cripps options when kicking he’d never miss a target.

Cripps would get nowhere near the targets Bont can hit

Another one. Please read the stats above. This year he is better.
Look kid, there's more to kicking ability than any stat will tell you. If kicking efficiency was all that mattered, all those defenders who only ever do safe chip kicks would be rated the best in the league.

The Bont has demonstrated he can execute kicks with a high degree of difficulty on a consistent basis, Cripps has not.
Last I checked, bombing the ball 50m to a contest is considered an effective kick, the same way hitting a target lace-out on an angle is. That alone undermines the statistics you're riding so hard.
I can tell you're very emotionally invested in this, but you're kidding yourself if you genuinely believe Cripps is a better kick than Bont. Better in other areas? Sure, but not kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is he better. Based on people’s opinion. How is that so when the data suggests different. What rubbish. Opinion is for click bait. These are facts. Cripps is a better kick than bontempelli. Particularly at goal.

Cripps has more scoreboard impact. He’s better around the ball, in the middle, kicking, scoring. He has more elite characteristics than bontempelli. He has less below average characteristics. The only thing bontempelli is better at is uncontested play which Cripps has improved the gap between the two but it’s not his go because he’s more around the coal face. Bontempelli has gone backwards over the last couple years. Cripps has only further improved. He also gets to carry around an extra 8kg around with him.

People like you who state opinion and (oh other people think the same as me) rubbish is what’s wrong with sports media these days. Back up your opinion. My grade 8 science kids can do it surely you can too.
How can you say Cripps has more scoreboard impact when his career tally is 37.48? Compared to Bontempelli's 101.89?

How is you stating your opinion any different from mine? You ruined any credibility you had when you stated Cripps has more scoreboard impact without even bothering to back up your claim. Here's a thought, stop being a hypocrite.

Cripps is an inside beast who can dominate at the coal face.
Bont does both although is more outside, but makes things happen and his scoring & attacking related stats are a lot higher.

They are not directly comparable, other than being midfielders from the same draft year & similar size/weight.

Look kid, there's more to kicking ability than any stat will tell you. If kicking efficiency was all that mattered, all those defenders who only ever do safe chip kicks would be rated the best in the league.

The Bont has demonstrated he can execute kicks with a high degree of difficulty on a consistent basis, Cripps has not.
Last I checked, bombing the ball 50m to a contest is considered an effective kick, the same way hitting a target lace-out on an angle is. That alone undermines the statistics you're riding so hard.
I can tell you're very emotionally invested in this, but you're kidding yourself if you genuinely believe Cripps is a better kick than Bont. Better in other areas? Sure, but not kicking.
If that’s the case then why is bontempellis kicking efficiency around 50%. It means the short kicks he goes for misses half the time. I don’t care if you think he’s a better kick. The stats say this year he’s not doing very well at kicking. Maybe he should stick to kicking to long contests. Btw. Don’t call me kid. I’m not one. I have kids. I teach kids.

Maybe a better thing to say is according to statistics Cripps is a better kick than bontempelli. Cripps is aware of his weaknesses in this area and he has rectified them. He does go for tough kicks. He is constantly taking short inside optionsunder pressure as gd always is. He’s argudbly under more pressure kicking than bontempelli is as he plays for Carlton.

I watch every dogs or Carlton games and all I see is bontempelli having trouble kicking. Maybe his hip injuries are having an impact. Cripps on the other hand is having a much better season with his kicking. Despite only going at around 70%. It’s much improved. He looks more confident and yes he does get opportunities to kick to longer teammates who mark it. Is it a sign of Cripps improved kicking or our improved forwards marking ability. McGovern and McKay are both top 15 for contested marks.

How can you say Cripps has more scoreboard impact when his career tally is 37.48? Compared to Bontempelli's 101.89?

How is you stating your opinion any different from mine? You ruined any credibility you had when you stated Cripps has more scoreboard impact without even bothering to back up your claim. Here's a thought, stop being a hypocrite.
Yeah sorry I should of used score launches. Both him and bontempelli are classified as elite in this category but Cripps much higher. I changed the wording which obviously means an entirely different thing. Bontempelli does have more scoreboard impact but Cripps has closed the gap since last year. For all other stats I referenced see afl site for stats pro.

B4B3157E-88AF-49B0-9ECF-1D2063AEAA7E.png

Says your opinion. Not his statistics.

This season. Disposal efficiency is 66% (Cripps 71%) and his kicking efficiency is 54% (Cripps 58%). Every man and his dog on here bags Cripps for his disposal use stats to back it up but say nah bomtempelli is amazing the stats lie. Bull ******* s**t.
Who would have thought that Bonts kicking efficiency percentage would be lower when Bont is averaging an extra 230 metres gained a game on what Cripps is doing. How unbelievable is it that kicking long compared to kicking short like Cripps couldn’t potentially effect your %:eek:

Mitch Wallis 9th 😂😂😂😂😂😂 wtf
It’s based on champion data improvement. It’s on a rolling 40 game scale. So I’m guessing it has something to do with him just about getting to 40 consecutive games after his serious leg injury

Who would have thought that Bonts kicking efficiency percentage would be lower when Bont is averaging an extra 230 metres gained a game on what Cripps is doing. How unbelievable is it that kicking long compared to kicking short like Cripps couldn’t potentially effect your %:eek:
Well to educate you on the matter. Every kick that goes beyond 40m is not counted against disposal efficiency and is given an effective kick. So this actually makes bomtempelli look worse btw.

It’s based on champion data improvement. It’s on a rolling 40 game scale. So I’m guessing it has something to do with him just about getting to 40 consecutive games after his serious leg injury
Ahhh champion data. The stat that had Aaron Francis as elite last year. Haha. Hilarious.

FWIW I couldn’t give a s**t what a few carlton supporters think of Bont. It’s another disgraceful start to the year for them with nothing else to hang their hat onto their 0-3 start. Not even Charlie Curnow looks like he gives a f**k this year. How long until they want a Naughton vs Curnow thread ?

Ahhh champion data. The stat that had Aaron Francis as elite last year. Haha. Hilarious.
What’s the alternative. The opinion of panels that constantly get RS and AA choices wrong. Lachie Neale an example. Priddis another. Data measures our sport. It’s constantly evolving and as more and more measures are included it makes the data more smoothly align with talent and opinion. There’s plenty of stat padders out there but Cripps is definitely not one of them. You stick to your opinions. I’ll stick to my opinion but attempt to back it up with data. Surely going at 50% by foot is concerning.

FWIW I couldn’t give a s**t what a few carlton supporters think of Bont. It’s another disgraceful start to the year for them with nothing else to hang their hat onto their 0-3 start. Not even Charlie Curnow looks like he gives a f**k this year. How long until they want a Naughton vs Curnow thread ?
We’re 0-4. Naughton is better than curnow right now. Stats say that. So does mosts opinion. He’s having a knightmare. I think he needs a week or two off to recover from his obvious ailments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back