Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on that, read the first page of their autopsy thread and start cringing. Every post is an excuse.
Someone wrote in either the Preview or Game Day thread that if Hawks lost, all they'd do is make excuses.

At least we look at the game, criticise aspects of it + players (sometimes too tough on players), but mostly we dissect + discuss the game.

Not sure if this is mentioned further on in this thread (on Page 4 now) but Kennett has thrown some :poo: suggesting the reason the crowd booed Ablett was because he liked Folau's Instagram post. He tried to stir up further drama by saying that Geelong supporters were booing Gaz too! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Then made some quick steps to try to be the 'good guy' by saying that booing is unacceptable + Gaz just kept getting better.

It just seems a blatant attempt to distract from the issue that Hawks lost. Although, Kennett said Hawks' fans don't boo good players 😹😹😹 Who is he kidding? To try to deflect from their loss by stirring up :poo: + saying Geelong supporters booed Ablett is pathetic. Typical Hawks flog!

Why would Geelong supporters boo Ablett? We gave him a standing ovation when he kicked that goal from the Ablett pocket playing for the Suns. I cannot think of a Geelong player who our supporters have booed when playing in the Hoops. We did boo Colbert, because of his poor behaviour leaving Geelong.

Why on earth do the media keep going to him for a comment. He speaks as if he is some benign elder who everyone respects. Some of us have long memories.

Our season so far is a 8/10.
No worries there.

I simply thought we just got the job done. This was an opportunity to trample them.
That's all.
You've revised your position, good. You originally claimed you didn't think anyone would be happy with that effort, "...a pretty bloody poor effort...as flat as pancakes...etc". Now that I assume you've read some of the posters I guess you can see that many are reasonably pleased with that effort, lots to like...Rohan's game, Ablett's game, Blicavs back to form, Stanley kicking goals, Guthrie a solid return, Selwood's third quarter, Sav's mark, Dahl and Miers efforts, etc.

Watching the replay currently, and one thing that stood out was Luke Dahlhaus having a direct hand in 4 second quarter goals.

While he hasn't hit the scoreboard as often as he'd probably like, he's still having a huge impact on it through other areas. It's been a real solid first five weeks from him.
He's been great. At one point in the 3rd I think, the ball came down and bounced close to a hawk, Dal hung back, waited and then pinned him. Hard. great stuff.

We can not drop all the kids for Bews Tuohy Guthrie S Selwood or we will just go back to a crap old side
Why would you make such a suggestion? Tuohy is a lock, however I doubt he will play next weekend he'll need at least one full game in the VFL, Bews is indefinite and best case scenario perhaps 6-8 weeks from even being considered, Scooter is still a few weeks from playing VFL. Constable is already best 22 and will return next week after a rest, Miers probably also best 22 or close and Clark is the best prospect of the lot, while Atkins has been solid. Guthrie is best 22 and returned yesterday with 22 disposals, 4 clearances and a game high of 8 tackles. We were never a crap old side, we were one of the greatest old sides in the history of football.

Why on earth do the media keep going to him for a comment. He speaks as if he is some benign elder who everyone respects. Some of us have long memories.
No idea ATSAM. I’m from NSW, so only know Kennett from AFL, not politics. He’s a politician first, with an agenda. Can’t hack losing, so stirs up irrelevant crap to create a storm in a tea cup.

Well, it's a bit of a worry what the effect of Mitchell, Stratton and Frawley might have had on the game but anyway, you can only beat who they put up. It defies belief that they somehow still had a sniff late in the game after we dominated from late first term to 3qtr time but I guess there has to be some effect from the collective will of BT, Derm, Gill (looking very pissed off at 3qtr time), Eddie and King. Henderson dominated early and it was a good move (was it Guthrie?) by Scott to curb his influence for the remainder of the game. Lots of positives as mentioned by others but especially Rohan, O'Connor, Henry, Atkins and Miers. Real concern is Menagola who somehow just couldn't impose himself when it was needed (and particularly when Danger was scragged out of the middle) and it's then left to the Skipper to do the hard work. Sav continues to frustrate and in a perfect (footy)world would spend a couple of years in the 2s. But as the umpires showed today, never mind a perfect world, we can't even expect a rational world.
Why was Gilligan so shitty?

No idea ATSAM. I’m from NSW, so only know Kennett from AFL, not politics. He’s a politician first, with an agenda. Can’t hack losing, so stirs up irrelevant crap to create a storm in a tea cup.
You're spot on. Any chance to dig at anything anti Geelong or pro P&Ws and he is on the front foot. And the media know he will give them a grab.

But not like Sicily's grab.

Why was Gilligan so shitty?
Clearly was. Script not being followed. Downtrodden undermanned Dawks with heroic coach high fiving his players like he was on speed. Then along come those ******* Cats again. "why don't they just * right off Steve, they were s**t when you played with them?"

Clarks upside far outweighs Bews upside.

It seemed today that every spoil Blicavs made seemed to fall straight to a Hawks player.

But very happy with today. Last quarter I was worried about a repeat of last week, and thankfully we avoided that.

Joel, Gaz x 2 were immense. Stanley was never going to work defensively against McEvoy so I was very happy with how he worked forward to score goals to offset theirs.
Sav needs a break. Would think V WCE who have 2 capable rucks that we would bring Abbott in to make the contests, kick goals, and give backup V WCE. We are lucky Sav was against Roughead at times, because a better ruck today would have pulled him apart.

Miers has a strange kicking style. I noticed during the game his kicking style tends to keep the ball low. It meant he did kick it into the man on the mark once, but when it came off it hits our forwards on the chest and leaves defenders unable to get a hand on it.

Out: Parfitt, Esava and maybe a rest for a week for Clark.
In: Constable, Abbott and Narkle. Put CGuthrie in Clarks position.
Cannot fathom why Clark is this week’s whipping boy? He’s only played five games. In the previous weeks he was lauded.

Roos, that’s a great observation about Miers’ kicking, enjoyed reading it.

Cannot fathom why Clark is this week’s whipping boy? He’s only played five games. In the previous weeks he was lauded.

Not sure he's a whipping boy Kitty...he looked a bit flat on the weekend...he's young and going to be a star...and certainly best 22....just seems to me he might need a break this week....charge up the batteries and be ready to take on the speedy Dons the following week.

We will need his pace and run against them...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're spot on. Any chance to dig at anything anti Geelong or pro P&Ws and he is on the front foot. And the media know he will give them a grab.

But not like Sicily's grab.
🤣🤣🤣

Well not in Public, on the ‘G’ in front of 66k people.

I just cringe when I see Kennett + think ‘Thank goodness our club Presidents aren’t utter flogs like him’.

Not sure he's a whipping boy Kitty...he looked a bit flat on the weekend...he's young and going to be a star...and certainly best 22....just seems to me he might need a break this week....charge up the batteries and be ready to take on the speedy Dons the following week.

We will need his pace and run against them...
I’m disappointed at the criticism of Clark in this thread, considering he’s so inexperienced + young. I agree with your comments David, which are fair. I find it a bit fickle to be glowing + then over-critical, in a short time. Give the guy a break, he’s filling in for injured players + working his guts out, so it’s natural to be a little flat. Once he builds endurance, develops/improves skills + has more experience, yes, he’ll be a star + Best 22. One thing I love about Geelong is the way we blood our Kittens. For so many recent years, we’ve been the team with so much youth + I’m really proud of that. We just need to remember some of the not so great early games of our current Premiership veterans, who needed some patience + support 😊

Clearly was. Script not being followed. Downtrodden undermanned Dawks with heroic coach high fiving his players like he was on speed. Then along come those ******* Cats again. "why don't they just **** right off Steve, they were s**t when you played with them?"
🤣🤣🤣 Hilarious! Love your take on it allrighty + all true!

I’m disappointed at the criticism of Clark in this thread, considering he’s so inexperienced + young. I agree with your comments David, which are fair. I find it a bit fickle to be glowing + then over-critical, in a short time. Give the guy a break, he’s filling in for injured players + working his guts out, so it’s natural to be a little flat. Once he builds endurance, develops/improves skills + has more experience, yes, he’ll be a star + Best 22. One thing I love about Geelong is the way we blood our Kittens. For so many recent years, we’ve been the team with so much youth + I’m really proud of that. We just need to remember some of the not so great early games of our current Premiership veterans, who needed some patience + support 😊
I think you might need to read the posts more carefully.
I haven't seen anything but praise for him, and any talk of resting him is just that.

Not really sure he's turn into this week's whipping boy; comments I've been reading in this thread about him are of a similar tone to those made during the JLT series.

He is correctly being credited for his willingness to take the game on, reading of the play when the opposition are on the attack, his speed and that he's showing promise as a line breaking defender, which are all positive attributes.

As for questions over some of his defensive efforts, especially at stoppages in the Hawks forward line - I recall similar comments during the JLT series, and don't think it's about him being this week's whipping boy but rather a reflection of where he's at.

Vast majority of 5-gamers will have areas of their game to work on; for Clark that's his defensive work at stoppages, and I'm betting we'll see that improve by having Scarlett as defensive coach.

He may get the managed treatment this week, a chance to freshen up ahead of a big clash against Essendon back at the MCG - and if he is managed then we need to remember it's the same situation as Constable last week; not a reflection on their most recent game, but rather the need to keep them fresh because we want them for not just the first half of the season but the business end also.

Last edited:
Not really sure he's turn into this week's whipping boy; comments I've been reading in this thread about him are of a similar tone to those made during the JLT series.

He is correctly being credited for his willingness to take the game on, reading of the play when the opposition are on the attack, his speed and that he's showing promise as a line breaking defender, which are all positive attributes.

As for questions over some of his defensive efforts, especially at stoppages in the Hawks forward line - I recall similar comments during the JLT series, and don't think about him being this week's whipping boy but rather a reflection of where he's at.

Vast majority of 5-gamers will have areas of their game to work on; for Clark that's his defensive work at stoppages, and I'm betting we'll see that improve by having Scarlett as defensive coach.

He may get the managed treatment this week, a chance to freshen up ahead of a big clash against Essendon back at the MCG - and if he is managed then we need to remember it's the same situation as Constable last week; not a reflection on their most recent game, but rather the need to keep them fresh because we want them for not just the first half of the season but the business end also.
Saved me some typing, C09.:thumbsu:

I think you might need to read the posts more carefully.
I haven't seen anything but praise for him, and any talk of resting him is just that.
Thanks for your observation Max, I’m happy to be wrong.
Discussion about resting him is fine, look at Chook, looked a bit tired + sore, managed this week. That’s for the best.
Also, I’m protective of our Kittens, perhaps too much. I can criticise players, but on the whole, like a Mum, I want them all to succeed ☺️☺️☺️

Thanks for your observation Max, I’m happy to be wrong.
Discussion about resting him is fine, look at Chook, looked a bit tired + sore, managed this week. That’s for the best.
Also, I’m protective of our Kittens, perhaps too much. I can criticise players, but on the whole, like a Mum, I want them all to succeed ☺️☺️☺️
Agree 100% Kitty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back