Preview Round 6 vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Port have fast players.

That's our kryptonite.

We've been under fire sure but I just do not see anywhere near enough being able to change to win this game.

We'll struggle to win enough of it in the middle.
We'll struggle to be clean enough when we do get it.
We will be wayward I front of goal.

It'll just be another nail into the Brad Scott coaching coffin.

We'll show more effort and that is what the presser will be about.

Port have fast players.

I reckon it's a bit more fundamental than that even mate.

Port can maintain possession better than we can.

Virtually all other AFL sides can maintain possession better than we can.

Last edited:

Do you think if we ditch Brad Scott alone, all will be good in the world again?

Depends who you replace him with. I wasn’t a huge fan of Laidley at the end, and looking at Scott, he has a lot of similarities. Both can come up with game plans to beat sides but if the other team changes anything they need another week to respond. They are also too process driven and play favourites.

I want someone at the presser saying something like “we will have a good look at the players and give them every opportunity to show us what they can do so we can put together a competitive team that can really challenge the best teams.”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Depends who you replace him with. I wasn’t a huge fan of Laidley at the end, and looking at Scott, he has a lot of similarities. Both can come up with game plans to beat sides but if the other team changes anything they need another week to respond. They are also too process driven and play favourites.

I want someone at the presser saying something like “we will have a good look at the players and give them every opportunity to show us what they can do so we can put together a competitive team that can really challenge the best teams.”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
For all their faults Laidley was a great tactician and a hard arse with the players and Brad brought stability and a great media guy when we needed it. We were pretty much on our knees when he came.

We almost got the two coaches backwards. Brad would’ve been great after the Carey, Pagan years and Laidley would be a great coach now.

For all their faults Laidley was a great tactician and a hard arse with the players and Brad brought stability and a great media guy when we needed it. We were pretty much on our knees when he came.

We almost got the two coaches backwards. Brad would’ve been great after the Carey, Pagan years and Laidley would be a great coach now.

Interesting point.

Looking forward to us implementing the 'chip the ball around the defensive 50, turn it over and the concede a score to a loose player in the forward half' game plan.

Looking forward to us implementing the 'chip the ball around the defensive 50, turn it over and the concede a score to a loose player in the forward half' game plan.

I'm not. I'll be bloody annoyed if that happens.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Denies the stress, however his demeanor and status with his hands close to his body with a closed body language suggest otherwise! Looks like he has lost sleep with heavy eyes!... hasnt learned his lesson.. lmac straight in? Ya kiddin right?

By the way, dont tell me the score, I dont want to know

Credit where credit is due. I'm on the sack Scott bandwagon, but he has 100% identified the issue here being centre bounce setup.

And I'm glad that he has acknowledged it and is willing to adapt to something that's clearly not working.

What I don't like about his analysis is that, rather than taking responsibility for our strategy at centre bounces - we saw when I went through some of them how there appears to be very clear instruction for how Brad expects our mids to position themselves at centre bounces - that Brad instead tends to subtly imply that he thinks it's the players' fault. "We're just not defending them well enough." Not, "our setup at centre bounces is exposing us to scores against us when we lose first possession, and is allowing the opposition to affect our disposal with pressure when we win first possession," but "we [i.e. the players] are at fault."

Perhaps I've underestimated how good his analytic football mind is. But I've also underestimated how bad his people management skills are. The video with Swallow where he puts it all back on the leadership group to build confidence in a fringe player, the video here where he rightly identifies what is losing us games but tends to subtly blame the players (who he has developed) for it...is not a good look and sure as hell isn't going to help with our intensity.

If this issue has been addressed and is able to be corrected this week, I'm tipping we'll push Port close.

Port by 8 points.

I'm so sick of this idea that Ziebell in the midfield solves our centre bounces, let alone clearances.

Its just an excuse to get an underperforming captain into the game by virtue of positioning. We've already seen him in the midfield, it happened in the GF matchup and he was woeful. Got completely run off his legs.

I'm so sick of this idea that Ziebell in the midfield solves our centre bounces, let alone clearances.

Its just an excuse to get an underperforming captain into the game by virtue of positioning. We've already seen him in the midfield, it happened in the GF matchup and he was woeful. Got completely run off his legs.

Absolutely

******* joke that Zeebs is seen as a midfielder

He is just out of form he is not a midfielder

"Anytime a side gets put under the blowtorch a bit, we tend to respond and we tend to react; it's just pride, you want to bounce back and represent your team well," Hinkley told SEN SA Breakfast.

"They're a high-quality team, they haven’t had the start they would have wanted, but I'm sure Brad and the boys over there are working towards trying to turn that around very quickly; we just don't want them to do that this Friday night at Adelaide Oval.

"Our responsibility is to turn up and play the same style of football that we've played, I think, reasonably consistently for the first five weeks of the seas
Eerily reminiscent of a North presser right before a shock loss.

Credit where credit is due. I'm on the sack Scott bandwagon, but he has 100% identified the issue here being centre bounce setup.

And I'm glad that he has acknowledged it and is willing to adapt to something that's clearly not working.

The issue with the centre bounces is that we don't have people in there with both pace and tackling intensity. We get first hands often enough, but when we get it, we get caught. When the opposition gets it, they get out into space we can't get it back.
- Cunnington is a bull, but very very slow and can't put pressure on anyone he can't reach.
- LDU has great burst pace for an inside mid, but his defensive game/application and second efforts are very poor.
- Ziebel is currently Cunnington without the good bits.
- Higgins is not defending.
- Polec is only half-hearted defending
- Dumont is only ok defending and not quick.
- Anderson is great, but we only have one of him. No surprise we look a whole lot better when he is there.

Ironically, this is after a big investment into our midfield and we have supposedly the best mid-depth ever with patent weaknesses at both ends.
This is not going to be fixed with any clever new positioning around the ball. The problem is the cattle on the park.

Zurharr into the ruck it is...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back