List Mgmt. 2018-19 DFA & SSP Period (Midseason Draft after Round 10)

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange. AFL running with a list of ruckmen available in mid season draft. No mention of Jeremy Goddard, revisited the list of nominees, and he is not on it. Yet a couple of days ago I went over the list, and he stood out among it. Part of my post on Draft thread. List has definitely been modified.

We’re won’t draft a mature aged player

Barass, in all your wisdom you are telling us that even with pick 1 and an open list spot we will not be giving someone a crack at the mid season draft?!!?!?!

Surely the club would be foolish not to, its like getting free spins at the pokies then just walking away from the machine

Barass, in all your wisdom you are telling us that even with pick 1 and an open list spot we will not be giving someone a crack at the mid season draft?!!?!?!

Surely the club would be foolish not to, its like getting free spins at the pokies then just walking away from the machine

sounds to me more like he's saying we won't be drafting an older player... but rather someone who fits with our key age demographic. Perhaps targeting a 19 - 21 year old?

If you went through every draft there has always been a gun mature age (over 19) player in each draft, surely one will bob up for us.

Yep, but it is a matter of who gets to them first.
I will be interested how many players are retired in a couple of weeks time to help their own club out fill their spot with someone much younger. Surely Jordan Lewis is a prime pick to be a candidate. With Roughead dropped he might be worth putting boots up too. Be nice if Levi did for us but I understand he will want to go on as long as he can. Sandilands, McVeigh and Scott Selwood are some others. I reckon by the time draft comes around almost every club will get involved.

I'm not sure about using the mid season draft to draft a youngster, if they were good enough they'd have been drafted proper. Mid-season draft seems like more an opportunity for mature-age recruits to get a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe someone they think will be high on the draft list come November. Tipping a lot of teams will do this.
Don't think there's usually many overlooked kids picked up in the first 40 or so picks, if at all.

Don't think there's usually many overlooked kids picked up in the first 40 or so picks, if at all.
Yeah but some do improve after missing the draft. Probably one of the reasons they drafted Finbar, if he had of played another year of U/18s he may rise up the draft list.

Yeah but some do improve after missing the draft. Probably one of the reasons they drafted Finbar, if he had of played another year of U/18s he may rise up the draft list.
It highlights the problems of not having club under 19's.
I know the Premier league still have their youth academys and that is a great system.

Kyle Dunkley playing for Bulldogs VFL this weekend.

Sydney keen asked the AFL if they still had father son rights.

Could be either Blues or Swans depending who has earlier pick.

Whats his kicking like? Does he kick like a Dunkley?

It highlights the problems of not having club under 19's.
I know the Premier league still have their youth academys and that is a great system.
Used to love the U/19s, as a teenager we left home at 7 30am walk about 6 ks watch all the games and get home at about 7 30pm. As i got older 7 30pm became very late.

Kyle Dunkley playing for Bulldogs VFL this weekend.

Sydney keen asked the AFL if they still had father son rights.

Could be either Blues or Swans depending who has earlier pick.

Whats his kicking like? Does he kick like a Dunkley?
From what I've heard/seen, his kicking is really not great, but maybe not as dogshit as Josh. Also yet to prove himself as an accumulator (i.e. Josh got 36 disposals on the weekend, and it doesn't look like Kyle is capable of that kind of output yet). Either way, I doubt Kyle makes it past both Carlton and Sydney because he definitely has huge potential - would have been one of those 2nd round mature agers if he lasted until the main draft this year I think

So we're treating it like a free shot at the best top aged draftees.

Thats how we should treat this IMO. Let’s get someone who will grow with the list.

Whether we finish bottom or 15th it’s not about this year. There are plenty of talented 19-20 year olds who needed an extra year or two too mature. Kelly’s and Barlow’s don’t come around as often.

From what I've heard/seen, his kicking is really not great, but maybe not as dogshit as Josh. Also yet to prove himself as an accumulator (i.e. Josh got 36 disposals on the weekend, and it doesn't look like Kyle is capable of that kind of output yet). Either way, I doubt Kyle makes it past both Carlton and Sydney because he definitely has huge potential - would have been one of those 2nd round mature agers if he lasted until the main draft this year I think
So he can’t kick and does not get much of it yet ... why are clubs interested ? ...

Yep, but it is a matter of who gets to them first.
I will be interested how many players are retired in a couple of weeks time to help their own club out fill their spot with someone much younger. Surely Jordan Lewis is a prime pick to be a candidate. With Roughead dropped he might be worth putting boots up too. Be nice if Levi did for us but I understand he will want to go on as long as he can. Sandilands, McVeigh and Scott Selwood are some others. I reckon by the time draft comes around almost every club will get involved.

Do we not get first crack as we are on the bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back