Autopsy Round 9, 2019: Collingwood v St.Kilda *Bruce 100th, Savage 150th, Young debut*

Remove this Banner Ad

again i never said that! can you tell me where i said we should sack the entire football club...
Now you're just being pedantic. Doesn't it get tiring having to discuss the workings of the entire football club after every loss?

We switched off in the last quarter and lost the game.

Favourable schedule in the second half of the season - if we don't make finals from here I'll be right here with you.

I wonder how long some here have been St.Kilda supporters. Just expecting greatness. Entitled to it.

Go support a team favoured by the league like Collingwood, Essendon or West Coast.

I really think Newnes is at the crossroads. Not sure we can get better with him in the team.

Parker needs to take the simple, first option more often. Tries to do too much a lot of the time.

Need some players back in the back half of the year to get some wins.

Newnes remains unsigned & is a free agent. Club will probably let him walk to hopefully get a second round compensation pick

I don't meant to be spamming comments here, but I'm curious what this game would have looked like with Hanners playing? As much as I love the guy, I'm not sure he would have helped us win. What we need is a forward who can crumb. Gresham has proven he can crumb like the best of them but the coaches seem to think he's a midfielder. I'd like to see him in the forward line.

Parker has slipped under the radar here.

He's been putrid the last couple of games, barely getting a touch and when he does he tries to do too much with it thinking he is LeBron and turns it over.

A classic case of a player drinking his own bathwater after getting hyped up after a few good games, needs a spell in the VFL like Long to get a reality check.

I don't meant to be spamming comments here, but I'm curious what this game would have looked like with Hanners playing? As much as I love the guy, I'm not sure he would have helped us win. What we need is a forward who can crumb. Gresham has proven he can crumb like the best of them but the coaches seem to think he's a midfielder. I'd like to see him in the forward line.
The same one player will do * all.

Players 25 and over that played today:
Ross, Newnes, Brown, Sav, Kent & Bruce

Players 25 and over that played well today:
Sav (maybe) ...

Enough with potting young players who fall off a cliff in the second half trying to implement a high intensity / effort, low reward game-plan (because they are gassed and have little to show other than being 'in the game').

Today these 6 senior players collectively provided SFA leadership and effort after 3/4 time (and not much before it either). More broadly, I am also not sure any of them could hit the broad side of a barn by foot twice in a row.

For me, the young kids are mostly doing their jobs and holding us together! IMO those 6 (5 of which have played over 100 games), should be the main target of our frustrations.

Desperately missed the leadership of Steven, Hanners, Carlisle, Geary, Robbo and JWebb today, with Bruce, Ross, Newnes, Brown, Kent & Sav ably demonstrating they are not even close to filling this void!

Last edited:
Watters set us back. We didn't improve at all. The jury is out on Richo, but I'm starting to think a succession plan would be most ideal. If Ratten is up to it, have him step up. I'd hate to think we'd bring in a new coach from elsewhere who wants to up-end everything.
Jury is not out on Richo
Just biding the time till his contract is out

Nothing is going up change until we see two.more elite mids. Simples.

Structures are good IMO. Entire are rubbish because of ordinary players.

Put some silk in there and will look a different team.

Got smashed in the trade thread but the club should and will make some hard calls.

The silence around Acres is as loud as his absence in the game. And many more like him.

There will be gradual improvement, but in the end their class won them the game... Class that we don't have.
Yep - simple fact is that if we had Pendles and Sidebottom and they had Ross and Newnes we would have won in a canter.

Actually I was pretty happy with effort because I understand that Richo is coaching a side that lacks quality and unfortunately it shows in the lack of skills and class.

End result is that the i50 entries that are very very rarely to the advantage of our forwards.

Personally I thought it was great effort - add a fit and firing Steven and Hannebery and we'd be finals chance.

Watters set us back. We didn't improve at all. The jury is out on Richo, but I'm starting to think a succession plan would be most ideal. If Ratten is up to it, have him step up. I'd hate to think we'd bring in a new coach from elsewhere who wants to up-end everything.
Our awful drafting strategy of picking flankers to become mids has been appaling. 7 drafts not 1 star mid. Only at stkilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you're just being pedantic. Doesn't it get tiring having to discuss the workings of the entire football club after every loss?

We switched off in the last quarter and lost the game.

Favourable schedule in the second half of the season - if we don't make finals from here I'll be right here with you.

I wonder how long some here have been St.Kilda supporters. Just expecting greatness. Entitled to it.

Go support a team favoured by the league like Collingwood, Essendon or West Coast.

no i'm not. you were passively aggressively posting about how i wanted the entire football club sacked. more than once in here. so i told you it was wrong and asked you to show me where i said that... which you didn't answer.... like i don't think i could be anymore direct in my question there and you came back with this...

so is that the tone we want here? lets just open it up to a mountain of s**t posts passively aggressive ridiculing each other! that sounds like fun!

the reality is the discussion on how our club is going is going to be discussed after a loss. it's been 8 years since finals. this is the 5 season under the current leadership of finnis. the 5th season under richo who has the worst win loss record of any coach to coach over 100 games. a coach who had his contract extended early. as the season goes on and if our ladder position does not improve, the talk will get stronger. that will not go away.

expecting greatness. i don't think anyone is expecting greatness. they're just expecting something. making finals isn't great. but it's something. winning finals is good. making and or winning a grand final is great. don't confuse expectation with entitlement. the club set the expectation. so now we are entitled if they're held to it?

as for the last sentence. that's a good one! i like it. we should make it part of our next membership drive.

Just so demoralising. Work so hard for three quarters, not take chances, then blown away like nothing when the game is on the line, reminding us how far we are from it really.

For me....it was incredibly demoralising/deflating.

Pre game I and most I was with thought a 7-8 goal margin even with 2 the Pies outs.

The second qtr was quite deflating....all the misses.....as we all know the football playbook states that it normally comes back and bites you....guess what!

Incredibly we were close at 1/2 time and 3/4 time.

And that's what was so dissappointing....that close and totally collapse in the last....was very hard watching that last 1/4.

It reminded me of a game against them around 2001/2002 at the G....held them and led by a bit and totally collapsed in the last.

Only 2 highlights for me again today.....Young and Marshall.

How about that mark outside 50 and the ensuing goal.......that WAS exciting stuff.

Time for ross and newnes to move on. Make way for the new breed. Put Acres in the guts with Langlands coff and clarke. The problem with ross is he cant play anywhere else. Never rated newnes ever. Steele meh hes another b grader.

I know this wont happen but i need to know theres some hope. What we have now is going nowhere.

I hope we give the likes of White, Hind and Rice a crack next week against Carlton.

We've got nothing to lose, what we're doing isn't working, we might just kick more than 80 points if we try something different.

i think we play it safe. we won't want to lose. we'll back the same in. thinking that 3/4 of what we produced should be enough to kill carlton.

Time for ross and newnes to move on. Make way for the new breed. Put Acres in the guts with Langlands coff and clarke. The problem with ross is he cant play anywhere else. Never rated newnes ever. Steele meh hes another b grader.

I know this wont happen but i need to know theres some hope. What we have now is going nowhere.

newnes is spending more time forward. which he did last year, which we have since learned was due to him being under done. phillips, billings are on the wings.

so maybe the positional change for newnes isn't working or he's not 100% fit.

Kicking at goal is part of the game. We fix that we will be closer. Best team won but....
Wtf with in the back? Fix the rule.

no i'm not. you were passively aggressively posting about how i wanted the entire football club sacked. more than once in here. so i told you it was wrong and asked you to show me where i said that... which you didn't answer.... like i don't think i could be anymore direct in my question there and you came back with this...

so is that the tone we want here? lets just open it up to a mountain of **** posts passively aggressive ridiculing each other! that sounds like fun!

the reality is the discussion on how our club is going is going to be discussed after a loss. it's been 8 years since finals. this is the 5 season under the current leadership of finnis. the 5th season under richo who has the worst win loss record of any coach to coach over 100 games. a coach who had his contract extended early. as the season goes on and if our ladder position does not improve, the talk will get stronger. that will not go away.

expecting greatness. i don't think anyone is expecting greatness. they're just expecting something. making finals isn't great. but it's something. winning finals is good. making and or winning a grand final is great. don't confuse expectation with entitlement. the club set the expectation. so now we are entitled if they're held to it?

as for the last sentence. that's a good one! i like it. we should make it part of our next membership drive.
Fair enough mate I can't be bothered with it

Good teams make the most of their ascendancy (Collingwood 4th Q), poorer teams don't (St Kilda 2nd). Other than that, we matched them!

A good learning curve today for the guys. We can't drop our bundle and lapse in games like we did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back