Autopsy Roast & Toast vs North Melbourne Rd 11, 2019, & Changes for Geelong rd 12

Best players vs North Melbourne

• Ryan Garthwaite

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • David Astbury

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dylan Grimes

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Nathan Broad

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Shane Edwards

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Bachar Houli

Votes: 139 80.3%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Dion Prestia

Votes: 56 32.4%
  • Kamdyn McIntosh

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Jason Castagna

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Dan Butler

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Dustin Martin

Votes: 135 78.0%
  • Tom Lynch

• Noah Balta

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Ivan Soldo

• Trent Cotchin

Votes: 52 30.1%
  • Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Sydney Stack

Votes: 117 67.6%
  • Liam Baker

Votes: 63 36.4%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Josh Caddy

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

last year we survived those games
but with Rance & Short missing from the back line
Nank from the mid's
and Riewoldt from the forwards
there was a big element of our leaders and play shapers

when things are going well we've covered those guys

Butler looked fresh and particularly sharp but we didn't seem to use him much
maybe he was leading too soon or to the wrong spots ...
I can see him giving us a real boost against the Cats

I get how good nank is, but particularly in the centre square, he rarely gets hits to advantage, which means we don't get clean clearances, and our mids aren't that good there anyway. Our biggest issue is contested ball, and we are only just hanging on with our other systems to cover this poor area of our game. Have a look at how our centre clearances was v the hawks. Havent seen that in a long time for us. I get that Nank is good around the ground, but again he has hardly taken any contested marks this year. I just think there is an area we need to get better at.
If you know your not going to get a hitout too advantage you can set up for it far easier than a 50/50 contest.Our issue is Dimma's refusal to play a tag on the best oppo's midfield.Soldo did well against an aging McEvoy until injured and ceglar but against noef his around the ground stuff was nowhere near what Nank provides.

When you consider with Rance, Cotchin, Grigg, Reiwoldt, Nankerveris and Lambert have been missing for large periods of time we will have been playing each week with 800-1000 games less experience than last year. As good as the kids have been that isn't sustainable over an entire season...reckon we'll get beaten by Geelong this week...but still pleased with how our season is going. And with the development of the kids the future looks bright.

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

last year we survived those games
but with Rance & Short missing from the back line
Nank from the mid's
and Riewoldt from the forwards
there was a big element of our leaders and play shapers

when things are going well we've covered those guys

Butler looked fresh and particularly sharp but we didn't seem to use him much
maybe he was leading too soon or to the wrong spots ...
I can see him giving us a real boost against the Cats

We are not really missing Short at all imo.

Houli is in top form and Stackman is without doubt a much better all round player than Short.

We are not really missing Short at all imo.

Houli is in top form and Stackman is without doubt a much better all round player than Short.
Agree with this 100%. I honestly can't see Short coming back into the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bachar Houli picked up one coaches vote this week - only Tiger to get a vote and Dustin Martin up for goal of the year for this week on the AFL site up against Raynor from the Lions and Sheed from the Eagles.

Yeah we were 6-1 without him. I’m just saying he’s getting on and slowing down, he needs to play more time forward.

We were 17 - 5 last year with him, I would say being 6-1 is the fact that generally we are well drilled unit. Cotch is only 29, he's no dinosaur, to say that Ross is more important is ridiculous. If you're basing this on a sub-par performance this game (which i agree he had), I think that has more to do with the fact he was on the sidelines for 7 weeks. Probably needed to play a half of VFL before this game, but clearly the club wants to fast track him for Geelong.

I hope we play Astbury on Hawkins, not Garthwaite.

Best defender on their best forward let's not muck around
Imagine if Dimma leaves Garth on Hawkins all game. Will get monstered. Unless he feels Garth is better than Astbury already. Or maybe he's decided to just go with the baptism of fire appoach and give him the key forward every week.

Admittedly it would be better to see him vs a big forward that doesnt flop and flip over with incidental contact. Also want to see him back himself to clunkna few. If he's just going negate and nothing else, he'd want to keep his opponent to under 3.

We were 17 - 5 last year with him, I would say being 6-1 is the fact that generally we are well drilled unit. Cotch is only 29, he's no dinosaur, to say that Ross is more important is ridiculous. If you're basing this on a sub-par performance this game (which i agree he had), I think that has more to do with the fact he was on the sidelines for 7 weeks. Probably needed to play a half of VFL before this game, but clearly the club wants to fast track him for Geelong.
Yeah I’ve just seen signs of him slowing down, hes copped a lot of hits over the years and was never quick to begin with. Happy for him to prove me wrong

can see it now...elbows Ablett to run around collecting a record number of disposals with noone marking him and then smash one of our blokes in the head and get off Scott free...

All good points. I wonder how much game value we would get out of Stacky running with Tim Kelly. I know Stacky would benefit enormously in the short term, but could he quell someone like Kelly who seems to have large influence on the Cats momentum?
we have to tag both kelly and elbows...if we dont we are dead set dunces.

Back