2019 World Cup General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sides like Bangladesh or West Indies are good examples of teams that could thrive in a tournament structure with a smaller group stage but they're both going to struggle when asked to consistently win over 9 matches.

[/QUOTE]

don't we want the best teams that win the most matches to be there when the whips are cracking ?
a round robin tournament sorts out the men from mice and fair enough too.

a group stage pitted against random teams and rankings from 2 years prior , can have a bit of luck involved, likewise with sudden death quarter finals.

don't we want the best teams that win the most matches to be there when the whips are cracking ?
a round robin tournament sorts out the men from mice and fair enough too.

a group stage pitted against random teams and rankings from 2 years prior , can have a bit of luck involved, likewise with sudden death quarter finals.

That's what a league is for - a cup competition is supposed to have some degree of randomness about it - that's the beauty in them.

This might sound silly but I genuinely think a lot of teams think they can bully Bangladesh because not only are they from a spin friendly nation but most of their players are small. Teams with quick bowlers assume they won’t be able to handle it because they don’t bomb sixes everywhere - nothing could be further from the truth

This might sound silly but I genuinely think a lot of teams think they can bully Bangladesh because not only are they from a spin friendly nation but most of their players are small. Teams with quick bowlers assume they won’t be able to handle it because they don’t bomb sixes everywhere - nothing could be further from the truth

Australia better have been paying attention.

How does not giving a **** about West Indies v Bangladesh change if there is 2 groups? You still won’t give a **** about the game anyway...

Groups of 4? So a team could only play 2 games for the entire tournament, yeah that seems worthwhile...

Nothing wrong with the format, just because it comes at a time where the top 3 are light years ahead of the rest doesn’t makes the format wrong. There are times when Pakistan, NZ, Windies and Sri Lanka have been good enough and that would have made for a great tournament. You don’t know how teams form will stack up when deciding on the format. 4 months ago, no one gives Australia a chance, now they’re the 3rd best team

You have 2 groups and it’s still a bore, you know England is topping one and India the other, where’s the excitement? At least here the top teams play each other a couple of times. Adds a bit of interest to their group game seeing how they play it and knowing that finishing first is a big bonus over 2nd

How do you only get 2 group games when you've got 3 opponents?

If you have smaller groups, you're less likely to have effectively dead rubbers. On the contrary, if you're going to have a 10-team round robin, you're much more likely to have more dead rubbers.

The other problem with this format, as has been discussed for the last 4 years, is that it shuts out developing cricket countries, which I don't think is good for the game. We're finally seeing the fruit of the international community's patience with Bangladesh, yet we're denying that to a country like Ireland.

It was probably the most fun match of the tournament I've seen yet.

Did you watch it? Or were you too dismissive?

Nope, I'm pretty limited in what I can watch when I have to be at work by 8am the next day. Even if this weren't pretty much a dead rubber I still wouldn't have been awake to see the run chase.

It was probably the most fun match of the tournament I've seen yet.

Did you watch it? Or were you too dismissive?

Yeah even prior to the match it was an odd call. Two pretty closely matched sides with vastly differing strengths and approach tactically, in a fight for being the first entrant through the semi door should any of the four favourites slip was always going to make for an interesting contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am getting a bit sick of the commentators repeatably bringing up what players did in the IPL. Rashid Khan proves what form in that Indian rubbish means compared to the top level.

Khan has had a horrible world cup and while he isn't quite as effective in ODI's as T20's (something that got mentioned a lot last night if you didn't notice?), his overall record is pretty damn impressive and worthy of talking up. He's not just a flash in the pan.

I did, Bangladesh are building a really solid one day side with some genuine world class players and that this was one game they needed to win if they had any chance of competing for a place in the top 4. They showed positives signs in their win against South Africa, their loss against England was to be expected but with winnable games against Afghanistan and Pakistan to come they could sneak in with a bit of luck. Probably need to upset Australia or India to do it, but if Al Hasan puts in another performance like last night, and gets support from the likes of Das, Mahmudullah and others then anything its possible. If I was Australia I wouldn't be taking these guys lightly, on their day they could cause a huge upset.
In all honesty, just on form shown in this tournament, how huge an upset would it be if they beat us tonight? We've clearly been the 4th and 5th best teams, both have lost our matches to the top 3 and beaten everyone below us. The only difference is that they've played both NZ and England while we've only played India, and they got washed out against Sri Lanka which is why we're 1.5 games clear.

Just play the semi finals now, this format would work in T20 cricket where there are more quality teams but not at ODI level.

Sri Lanka, West Indies, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and now South Africa are just not strong enough to go 9 matches at ODI level whereas at T20 level the lankans, pakis and windies excel because they only have to go 20 overs.

If the ICC go with this format again, just back in the same 4 teams making the semi finals unless the weaker nations make up some considerable ground over the next 4 years and by that i mean they are winning at least 60% of series played home and away.

iCC also are to blame for this, they have mostly cut back ODI series between two nations to 3 matches with the odd series at 4 or 5 games and now they are asking these teams to go 9 matches in a world cup, the weak teams just dont have it in them.

4 groups of 4 gives teams 3 games and then off to Qtr finals is the best format IMO. The top 4 teams in the rankings get separated into each group and if they are good enough at World Cup time then they will all make the semi finals, if not then we have one hell of an interesting World Cup, but we all know that is not in the best interests of the top 3 nations is it and we can't have those three nations getting rolled in a group stage now can we I$$ i mean ICC.

Just play the semi finals now, this format would work in T20 cricket where there are more quality teams but not at ODI level.

Sri Lanka, West Indies, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and now South Africa are just not strong enough to go 9 matches at ODI level whereas at T20 level the lankans, pakis and windies excel because they only have to go 20 overs.

If the ICC go with this format again, just back in the same 4 teams making the semi finals unless the weaker nations make up some considerable ground over the next 4 years and by that i mean they are winning at least 60% of series played home and away.

iCC also are to blame for this, they have mostly cut back ODI series between two nations to 3 matches with the odd series at 4 or 5 games and now they are asking these teams to go 9 matches in a world cup, the weak teams just dont have it in them.

4 groups of 4 gives teams 3 games and then off to Qtr finals is the best format IMO. The top 4 teams in the rankings get separated into each group and if they are good enough at World Cup time then they will all make the semi finals, if not then we have one hell of an interesting World Cup, but we all know that is not in the best interests of the top 3 nations is it and we can't have those three nations getting rolled in a group stage now can we I$$ i mean ICC.
I hope you realise why more than 4 teams doing this isn't really possible given the teams in the World Cup only really play against each other in bi-lateral series.

Round robin is over now.

If England win today - and they should comfortably - come Saturday night there will be a 4 point game between India in 4th and Bangladesh in 5th, and India would've played one game less.

Suck s**t ICC.

At least Summer is finally arriving here. Some 30-degree days scheduled for next week which is nice.

I find it interesting people claiming the fact some usually good teams are s**t this year is proof the tournament structure was wrong. How would it be any different under the different structures?

Or is a World Cup only good if a team who doesn’t deserve to make the semis, makes the semis because of the luck of the draw?

Now comes the battle between Australia, India and England to end up in the semi against NZ.

I find it interesting people claiming the fact some usually good teams are **** this year is proof the tournament structure was wrong. How would it be any different under the different structures?

Or is a World Cup only good if a team who doesn’t deserve to make the semis, makes the semis because of the luck of the draw?

Now comes the battle between Australia, India and England to end up in the semi against NZ.

Because tournament organisers should be able to think through potential scenarios and examine what would happen if, for example, four teams were clearly ahead of the pack and what that could result in in different formats.

Pretty much any other structure would've been able to deal with it better than what this format will. It's not bad luck, it's shoddy organisation.

Pretty much any other structure would've been able to deal with it better than what this format will. It's not bad luck, it's shoddy organisation.
Absolute rubbish.

I mean go through the history of the tournament, pretty much every one has had a load of dead rubbers, except for funnily enough 1992!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back