Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That comment from Judd was surprising.

What do they define as needing training wheels...is that the biggest hint yet we're after someone with head coaching experience like Clarkson/Lyon/Scott/Voss?
There's been quite a lot of rumours and media linking us to those 4.

Those guys were all untried assistants once...Hawthorn went through a process and landed Clarkson. Geelong did the same with Chris Scott, WC with Simpson etc. Sure there's a lot of fails as well including Bolton, but i'd like to think we'll still consider untried assistants if they have the right pedigree, and not dismiss them completely due to not wanting someone requiring 'training wheels'...we should consider everyone.
i'm not sure of the wisdom of going after experienced coaches. surely the time for that was when the rebuild started, not now.

If you could land clarkson or lyon then great because they're proven as elite coaches, but hiring b scott or voss would be an absolute disaster IMO.

What do they define as needing training wheels...is that the biggest hint yet we're after someone with head coaching experience like Clarkson/Lyon/Scott/Voss?
There's been quite a lot of rumours and media linking us to those 4.

Those guys were all untried assistants once...Hawthorn went through a process and landed Clarkson. Geelong did the same with Chris Scott, WC with Simpson etc. Sure there's a lot of fails as well including Bolton, but i'd like to think we'll still consider untried assistants if they have the right pedigree, and not dismiss them completely due to not wanting someone requiring 'training wheels'...we should consider everyone.
I think that our preference is an experienced head coach. But like you, I hope they don't rule out all untried assistants.

Another I would look at is Marty Mattner. Premiership player at Swans, hard yards as player, and in gutsy fashion led Sturt to two flags. Is he even being interviewed?

Absolutely. Coached Sturt to two flags and a 5th place in his three years. Were the best drilled team in the SANFL over the three years, emulating a Swans style game plan.
If a rookie coach is being considered, Mattner should be shortlisted.

Not really. Bolton has "grown" the kids. Time for experience to extract wins from the squad and make us more competitive - and keep us motivated and competitive.

They won't say anything if the person we're talking is currently employed at another club like Lyon & Voss...not until their teams' season finishes.

Recent history says otherwise.

Bolton was announced in August yet stayed with the Hawks until the end of their season.

not necessarily as the senior coach

Again, Roos has ruled himself out as being a senior coach ever again.

Last edited:
i'm not sure of the wisdom of going after experienced coaches. surely the time for that was when the rebuild started, not now.

If you could land clarkson or lyon then great because they're proven as elite coaches, but hiring b scott or voss would be an absolute disaster IMO.
I think that our preference is an experienced head coach. But like you, I hope they don't rule out all untried assistants.
Not really. Bolton has "grown" the kids. Time for experience to extract wins from the squad and make us more competitive - and keep us motivated and competitive.

Recent history says otherwise.

Bolton was announced in August yet stayed with the Hawks until the end of their season.

Again, Roos has ruled himself out as being a senior coach ever again.

I'd be very disappointed if the club has already ruled out inexperienced coaches that need 'training wheels' as Judd called it...though i'm not sure how they'd categorise that...does anyone who hasn't been a head coach before fall into that? Would be a small pool of candidates if so.

The last few premiers all backed untried assistants...
WC - Simpson
Richmond - Hardwick
Bulldogs - Beverage
Hawthorn - Clarkson

Chris Scott can obviously coach, Fagan doing good things so far at Brisbane.

Bolton didn't work out but there will be someone else out there.

Lyon has not received an offer.. he’s interested and so are few others.Stay tuned exciting times ahead.

Thanks b70.

Good to hear confirmation that we are an attractive destination now for coaches...our vacancy would be a highly sought after position.

Traditional big VIC club, we're doing well off the field, key posts have been filled with competent people, hard list work has already been done.

Liddle mentioned us being an attractive proposition in the presser of Bolts' sacking, and i also read between the lines that not many top aspirants actually wanted the job last time around...they would have known it would be a hard slog given where our list was at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been discussing this with a friend and it still seems to me that we don't have the best hierarchy across our football department.

There seems to me still to be too large a disconnect between Coach & List Manager.
In fact the whole mechanism just doesn't doesn't seem to be ideal.

The list is the List Managers and the Coach largely has to suck up what he gets delivered to him.
The coach who should be a good manager of young men/women also has to have the tactical nous to maximise situations on game-day.

Just all seems out of whack to me. Is there a better way?
A method where a Manager/Head of Football, employs the Head Coach of Training, a Game-Day Tactical Coach, A List Manager and all supporting coaches.
This Manager then dictates what type of players the club requires....What type of training will be implemented....What the desired game play will be etc etc

An overseer and Manager of the whole football department. The one that puts all the pieces together and has the ultimate say.
Well, ultimate until his methods don't work an the whole gets discarded and starts up again.

Poor Bolton never had a chance.
SOS had it over him, Walls was a plant and Bolton was paralysed in the coaches box. It's not right.

Have been discussing this with a friend and it still seems to me that we don't have the best hierarchy across our football department.

There seems to me still to be too large a disconnect between Coach & List Manager.

The list is the List Managers and the Coach largely has to suck up what he gets delivered to him.
The coach who should be a good manager of young men/women also has to have the tactical nous to maximise situations on game-day.

A method where a Manager/Head of Football, employs the Head Coach of Training, a Game-Day Tactical Coach, A List Manager and all supporting coaches.
This Manager then dictates what type of players the club requires....What type of training will be implemented....What the desired game play will be etc etc

An overseer and Manager of the whole football department. The one that puts all the pieces together and has the ultimate say.
Well, ultimate until his methods don't work an the whole gets discarded and starts up again.

SOS had it over him, Walls was a plant and Bolton was paralysed in the coaches box. It's not right.
If we get Lyon I think that disconnect might be necessary. He didn't do too well when he meddled with the recruitment at the Saints.

If we get Lyon I think that disconnect might be necessary. He didn't do too well when he meddled with the recruitment at the Saints.

That would depend on the role though.
Who would want Lyon is the Football Manager? as coach, he'd sit under the football manager and the football managers instructions.

It makes for a whole new structure and one established coaches wouldn't appreciate at all.

That would depend on the role though.
Who would want Lyon is the Football Manager? as coach, he'd sit under the football manager and the football managers instructions.

It makes for a whole new structure and one established coaches wouldn't appreciate at all.
Would he want or need a footy manager? Maybe an administrative assistant.

The club has offered Ross Lyon a God father offer, which he has knocked back at this stage. Lyon would prefer to stay in Perth.
#Bluemour
Lyon has not received an offer.. he’s interested and so are few others.Stay tuned exciting times ahead.

I feel like mum and dad are in a fight and I don't know whose side to take....

Into his 4th year with a talented young list is not having a chance? Not sure it wasn't just a case of lacking game day nous. As for the coach having a say in list management, I'd argue it would largely depend on the coach. Ratten for instance was poor in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back