Recommitted Peter Ladhams [re-signed until the end of 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladhams was born in January, 1998. He's 21 years old and is still developing his craft as a ruck. He's also averaging 0.8 goals, 3.9 inside 50s, 2.1 tackles and 0.7 rebound 50s a game in the SANFL.

Preuss was born in June, 1995. He's 24 years old and is close to his ceiling as a ruck.

Ladhams is the reason why Ryder has only been offered a one year deal by us. We'd be the worst list managers of all time if we let him go for a third or fourth round pick. In fact, we'd be the worst list managers of all time if we let him go, period. Not even a first round pick should entice us to trade him.

Ladhams is 21 and has his whole career ahead of him. Greenwood is 27 and is still a bit player in a team that just got demolished by 10 goals.

A third round pick is generous for him.
Good post :thumbsu:

Valuation on Draper is what we as supporters rate him, how important he is to our future plans, and how little we are interested in discussing what he is likely to be traded for, given we don't want or expect him to leave. With the retirement of Lavender, and Bellchambers being over 30 and always injured, Draper is literally all we have to pin our hopes too. McKernan is not a #1 ruck, he plays better forward and is needed there. Zac Clarke is close to useless but better than nothing. Buying the guy we're pinning our hope on is not going to come cheap. If he actually requested a trade I really have no idea what he would be valued at, I suspect the club would do its utmost to make certain it never got to being a discussion. And thus we have supporters saying 'first round pick', and a player manager asking for more money.

Ladhams is also an up and coming ruck of a similar age, but Port don't seem to have a lot of opportunities to offer him at present. They also have loads of talls that can play in the ruck, their #1 ruck is sorted with Lycett still only 26. Two over 30s that can competently play, two more young rucks coming through, and a bunch of others that can play a role there if needed. They will still want to get their value for him, I've never known Port to give away players for peanuts, but the context of that valuation will be on output, not club needs. I don't think Port would be offering Ladhams as much as it will cost Essendon to keep Draper, because all else being equal Ladhams doesn't have the same leverage. The context looks quite different.

I've also opened up Port's 2019 club focus thread if you want to look into their list & how it might be managed this off-season a little more closely.

Well there’s not many examples of 21 year old ruckman being traded in recent years when the average ruckman isn’t fully developed until they are 24+.

Preuss was traded as a 22/23 year old.

There’s also no examples of young ruckman being worth a first or early second round pick.

Think about it for a second.

North could just keep the pick and probably get Luke Jackson who they are comparing to a young Grundy for the same pick in the upcoming draft.

There’s also no examples of young ruckman being worth a first or early second round pick.

North could just keep the pick and probably get Luke Jackson who they are comparing to a young Grundy for the same pick in the upcoming draft.
With way more upside than ladhams

Only if its scott wynd after brownlow.

Valuation on Draper is what we as supporters rate him, how important he is to our future plans, and how little we are interested in discussing what he is likely to be traded for, given we don't want or expect him to leave. With the retirement of Lavender, and Bellchambers being over 30 and always injured, Draper is literally all we have to pin our hopes too. McKernan is not a #1 ruck, he plays better forward and is needed there. Zac Clarke is close to useless but better than nothing. Buying the guy we're pinning our hope on is not going to come cheap. If he actually requested a trade I really have no idea what he would be valued at, I suspect the club would do its utmost to make certain it never got to being a discussion. And thus we have supporters saying 'first round pick', and a player manager asking for more money.

Ladhams is also an up and coming ruck of a similar age, but Port don't seem to have a lot of opportunities to offer him at present. They also have loads of talls that can play in the ruck, their #1 ruck is sorted with Lycett still only 26. Two over 30s that can competently play, two more young rucks coming through, and a bunch of others that can play a role there if needed. They will still want to get their value for him, I've never known Port to give away players for peanuts, but the context of that valuation will be on output, not club needs. I don't think Port would be offering Ladhams as much as it will cost Essendon to keep Draper, because all else being equal Ladhams doesn't have the same leverage. The context looks quite different.

I've also opened up Port's 2019 club focus thread if you want to look into their list & how it might be managed this off-season a little more closely.

3rd rounder is all that's needed to get him over the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ladhams was born in January, 1998. He's 21 years old and is still developing his craft as a ruck. He's also averaging 0.8 goals, 3.9 inside 50s, 2.1 tackles and 0.7 rebound 50s a game in the SANFL.

Preuss was born in June, 1995. He's 24 years old and is close to his ceiling as a ruck.

Ladhams is the reason why Ryder has only been offered a one year deal by us. We'd be the worst list managers of all time if we let him go for a third or fourth round pick. In fact, we'd be the worst list managers of all time if we let him go, period. Not even a first round pick should entice us to trade him.

Ladhams is 21 and has his whole career ahead of him. Greenwood is 27 and is still a bit player in a team that just got demolished by 10 goals.

A third round pick is generous for him.

You don't really have a choice if he wants to go though.

And you cant offer him the main ruck role because Lycett has it.

I love it when people comment on players they’ve never seen play before.

We’ll either resign Ladhams or move him for an early second. He can play forward as well not just a pure tap ruckman. Gets around the ground great and is extremely mobile.

Why is a 27 year old midfielder being compared to a 21 year old ruck/forward. Sam Draper comparisons make a lot of sense for value but a 80th or so ranked mid in the league in the back end of his career... we may as well start comparing Bryce Gibbs value to Reilly O’Brien,.

And you plan on getting an early 2nd how? You have no leverage to get that.

And you plan on getting an early 2nd how? You have no leverage to get that.

For the fact he’d more than likely want to stay anyway. Was a Port supporter when he grew up and absolutely loves the club so it would take a big money offer and/or starting gig role to lure him away.

Ruck’s don’t get the starting role until they are 24+ anyway so unless there’s big coin being offered he’d be happy enough staying to develop himself for a few years and then take over from Lycett who will be 30 when Ladhams is 24 and ready to go.

If North don’t offer big coin and/or a good trade to Port he’ll happily stay with us.

The money is the worry as North could easily come out and offer a 3 x 400k offer and we’d have to trade him. However, the big coin indicates good value as well meaning we’d know North really want him and could be leveraged as such. A 3rd rounder is nothing for a guy we rate massively internally (Brogan said he has the best left handed tap work he’s ever seen) and is at a club he loves.

You don't really have a choice if he wants to go though.

And you cant offer him the main ruck role because Lycett has it.

Everyone has a choice.

What you're failing to understand is that this draft doesn't exactly have a wealth of tall players/rucks in it. The value of draft picks ebbs and flows in comparison to the players available. That's where the leverage comes from - besides, Peter has shown enough as a resting ruck in the forward line to say that he could work in a two ruck system. At the moment we've got Howard playing that role, but Howard has played most of his career as a defender.

What players are available past 40 in this draft that are of the same value to a team as Ladhams? None. We don't need draft picks anyway - we've got Jackson Mead coming in as a father/son, and he'll get bid on somewhere in the late first/early second round. If we had another second round pick it would just get diluted and all the fourth round picks we acquired for this draft to match the bid on Mead would be meaningless.

If Ladhams goes, it's because he's decided that he's only ever going to be a ruck and not a ruck/forward. And it'll be for players or future draft pick/s.

But I'll bet he stays.

Talk of first rounders on the Port board are pure fantasy.

I'd say a 3rd or 4th rounder at best.

He's played about 12 quality games at SANFL level and 2 AFL games.

He's also out of contract.

Preuss was contracted last year and had shown alot more at AFL/VFL level and was a similar value.
I have not looked - but are you serious?..Some port fella was on the hugh greenwood thread saying he was a 3rd rounder at best..if that is the case, Ladhams is a pick 100 + going by that logic
A ruckman that is yet to play a game is worth a first round pick, yet Hugh Greenwood, a very solid midfield player is lucky to be worth a 3rd round pick?

The fu**?

There was one poster who said he would only let ladhams go for a 1st rounder.

That’s not exactly the “talk of 1st rounders on the port board” you’re misleading this gullible bunch with.

two involving carlton (not recent) warnock to us for a second, third and forth with something later coming back (bleaugh).

hampson to richmond for a mid 20s pick i think.

two involving carlton (not recent) warnock to us for a second, third and forth with something later coming back (bleaugh).

hampson to richmond for a mid 20s pick i think.

Warnock was over a decade ago, ruck value has certainly changed. Even then, he had played 21 games in his first two seasons for Freo.

Hampson is largely irrelevant to the discussion, he was traded in his 8th season as a 26 year old and after playing 70 games.

Warnock was over a decade ago, ruck value has certainly changed. Even then, he had played 21 games in his first two seasons for Freo.

Hampson is largely irrelevant to the discussion, he was traded in his 8th season as a 26 year old and after playing 70 games.

as i said, not recent and more importantly bad trades, probably some of the ones that changed ruck values.

Rhys stanley was pick 20ish from what i recall when he went to geelong?

as i said, not recent and more importantly bad trades, probably some of the ones that changed ruck values.

Rhys stanley was pick 20ish from what i recall when he went to geelong?

Another viewed as massive overs even at the time, yet Stanley still had 58 AFL games on the board, not 2.

McKernan is the best Essendon have in the Ruck right now. Bellchambers wont retire untill next year. going from last years Intra-club hitout, McKernan Beat TBC in the ruck.

Another viewed as massive overs even at the time, yet Stanley still had 58 AFL games on the board, not 2.

Probably Nankervis is the most recent and appropriate example. Same sort of age and similiar level of experience, in fact Nank had shown a bit more. 3rd - 4th rounder is about right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back