Autopsy vs Eagles - Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not a new thing - it's happened repeatedly - will Shaw react? - will he make a statement that Bard couldn't and drop one of these blokes?

The problem is who will you replace them with?

Our major problem is Plan Aitis, when it doesn't work then it is pretty much not going to work for the entire game and the better teams are better at changing things up and turning games before they get too far out of hand.

That being said, teams have s**t games, our s**t games on the road to Perth and Adelaide are far too common though.

I think the new coach, whomever it may be, needs to address the consistency of effort and pressure. Teams will always have bad games, the difference between good and bad teams is the frequency and severity of the drop between the good and bad footy. Under Brad our bad games were too common and the variance too wide.

Some of our mids have very exploitable weaknesses, like the lack of speed and endurance. It is part of the reason we have such a s**t record against GC despite them being largely dog s**t for so long, too fast, too much run. This kind of weakness is hard to fix without changing personnel.

When Yeo ran down the wing and Kennedy kicked his 3rd, Simpkin busted his arse to keep up with him but Dumont gave up before Yeo even took off. Dumont is symptomatic if where we are as a team. He’s good is real good but doesn’t have the hunger to be real good all the time.

Starting on a positive, we won the 2nd and 4th qtrs by 1 point.....

Shame we lost the other 2 by 50.

After some soft 1st qtr moments Ahern was good, Goldy improved as the game went on but his tap outs to his feet s**t me to tears. Dumont and Polec dug in for some solid numbers but weren't overly effective, Marley was solid under immense pressure and Zurhaar is a flat out beast who is adding more and more polish to his career grows.

Midfield in general were absolutely pantsed, our 3 most enior players in particular were bloody awful. Garns... sheesh mate, really?

Durdin picked the wrong game to play like an under sized L-plater..... Thompson out busting a nut and Tarrant will unlikely EVER play that badly again.

6 solid weeks of bloody solid footy, stiff V *, stiffer again in Brissy then off to play red hot eagles in Perth; toys are definitely staying in the cot for now.

Still confident we've seen enough from Shaw to give him a crack, 2 or 3 years is fine with me.

Double down on the kids from here on, see what you need to Rhys and start you're own legacy.

Definately built into the game. He was racking it up early but doing a hell of a lot wrong. Overall he could certainly have been better, especially with his defensive work (positioning/running), but for his first game back there he gets a nice fat tick for mine.
Exactly. First game at half back.

I think he needs to be a forward who pinch hits in the middle, he was moving in 2nd gear between the arcs, he just has no tank. He is covering ground but he is going at a speed where he wont fatigue too bad and that means he isn't a good option when we try and move the ball.

It is why he looks like a reasonable mid when we can create stoppage after stoppage, he doesn't need to gut run back and forth.
This. He can be great in the midfield when used in short bursts and in Ganges that suit him.

If Ryan was in
Comprehensively beaten. In every aspect.

Matchups simply did not work, especially in the back half. Ryan on Ahern for example, Durdin was on Kennedy for far too long but then Tarrant was getting out marked multiple times. We just can't seem to put a handle on Kennedy, ever.

Our tackling was deplorable, seemingly non-existent. Numbers were low, intensity wasn't there. We played 1 good quarter of footy and that was the 2nd, which even then the best was in the dying minutes.

Goldsteins kicking is putrid, barely any penetration, fumbling, didn't make any impact until the game was over anyway. I'm over it.

And I told you so, anyone who was so gung-ho over bringing Garner in is eating crow, it should've been Hosie and you all know it, even in a belting against Carltons VFL team today he still was one of the best on ground kicking multiple goals meanwhile Garner is wasteful, and not team oriented. I'm done waiting for Garner to 'arrive'. Mason Wood for as long as we've waited on him has a genuine crack and has a right to play in the team and plays great games. Garner is in the rear view mirror for this clubs future.

Trent Dumonts decision making is the absolute pits, and clearly cannot run a ground as wide as Optus, or keep accountable to his opponent.

And that's where Eagles beat us, as any sensible team would, spread hard and run out the game first and you'll beat North any day of the week on a ground like that, with kicking as accurate as theirs and with running capacity as good as theirs. There is no winning, we lack pace, we can't play to wide grounds effectively and we can't get back quick enough going both ways. Essendon did the same albeit faster.

The last 2 weeks I can cop, even the Brisbane one for as rigged as that was, because it was a genuine effort and a gameplan was followed. Today we didn't follow it, it seemed disorganised, little manning up, and just no cohesive movement for nearly the entire game.

Chalk it down as Rhyce's first genuine non-competitive loss and he'll hopefully learn alot from that, its hard to know whether Simpson just knew what were gonna do to a T or the players just didn't listen to Shaw, as for the first time he looked visibly frustrated & confused.
If Ryan was on Ahern, that was a massive win for us, Ahern had 27 possessions and AFL ratings had Ryan as the 4th worst player on the ground.

To start we need to find some experience mids with pace...at least 2 all we have are 1 pace plodders...Thomas excepted..
Thomas has zero pace, tested vey poorly at the combine in that area. He certainly makes up for that in other ways though....1st 2 yards are in the head as they say....

If Ryan was in
If Ryan was on Ahern, that was a massive win for us, Ahern had 27 possessions and AFL ratings had Ryan as the 4th worst player on the ground.

AFL ratings are junk and meaningless. I don't care about what he did offensively which was albeit good, I liked his efforts today but this is him as a defender.

And defensively he doesn't account for his opponent as much as he should, who was much quicker than he was when he got loose, which he did play often as very loose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Yeo ran down the wing and Kennedy kicked his 3rd, Simpkin busted his arse to keep up with him but Dumont gave up before Yeo even took off. Dumont is symptomatic if where we are as a team. He’s good is real good but doesn’t have the hunger to be real good all the time.

Seen him do this a few times and wonder where this thought of Dumont being our only gut runner comes from. Sure he jogs listlessly up and down the field all game when others are buggered but been guilty on more than a few occasions of not putting in the hard yards when a contest can be influenced.

Thomas has zero pace, tested vey poorly at the combine in that area. He certainly makes up for that in other ways though....1st 2 yards are in the head as they say....

Disagree he has zero pace. He is quicker than he tested and how he looked at times last year. However, no he is not a speedy player or a line breaker but he has enough pace to affect the play both offensively and defensively. His closing speed is actually pretty solid. Ahern also has some good acceleration. What we lack is the line breaking speed that challenges opposition setups and creates chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

AFL ratings are junk and meaningless. I don't care about what he did offensively which was albeit good, I liked his efforts today but this is him as a defender.

And defensively he doesn't account for his opponent as much as he should, who was much quicker than he was when he got loose, which he did play often as very loose.
Ryan didn't have a great game by any means , 9 posessions, 1 goal and 0 tackles. For Paul to get 27 possies in his 1st AFL game as a half back against a player of Ryans calibre with the amount of ball in West Coasts forward half that counts as a major win for Paul and NMFC IMO plus a great coaching move by Shaw. Most of his teammates were soundly beaten. For me, what half backs do offensively is extremely important. Because If you don't use the ball well and you don't make good decisions its coming straight back in with all the defenders out of position. If you think otherwise fair enough.

Disagree he has zero pace. He is quicker than he tested and how he looked at times last year. However, no he is not a speedy player or a line breaker but he has enough pace to affect the play both offensively and defensively. His closing speed is actually pretty solid. Ahern also has some good acceleration. What we lack is the line breaking speed that challenges opposition setups and creates chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I agree. I think there might have been mitigating circumstances to his poor testing though don't recall what the reason was. To the eye, he looks average, not fast or slow. But he makes up for that by being evasive and clean. His ability to to time his runs when tackling make him effective defensively.

Seen him do this a few times and wonder where this thought of Dumont being our only gut runner comes from. Sure he jogs listlessly up and down the field all game when others are buggered but been guilty on more than a few occasions of not putting in the hard yards when a contest can be influenced.

Not long after I posted that he was lined on Gaff on the wing for a centre bounce, they both went in different directions as soon as the ball was bounced. That has to be under instruction though? Wouldn’t get away with it otherwise.

That was a flat performance.
Defense....got absolutely hammered all day. Ahern could be better suited to being a defender, but needs to be more accountable.
Tarrant had a dog day afternoon
Durdin, just disappointing
Marley, tried hard all day
J. Mc, poor
Pittard...went missing
Midfield......yep it was tough on the young kids, Thomas and LDU.but they showed real promise

Higgins ....poor
Cunners at least kept trying.
Jed has had better
Goldy was ok
Polec....worked hard on the wing and created options
Dumont just ordinary
Forwards weren't copping the best feeds
Larkey worked hard all day
Ben needs to toughen up
The Bull was tough and good in the air
Mase, did some good, but faded out
Jy..and Jz. went missing.
Garner...very unimpressive.

They carved us up all over the ground, but there a class act. It looked like we were tired from the beginning and nobody really stepped up.
Fitness and clean disposal were lacking, but those things can be fixed. We need to look at our lack of speed on the spread.

Off season needs to see BB being fed Raw tofu or something and toughen him up.
Thompson was missed today so clearly we need another year out of him.
I would like to have a look at Hosie so get him in, he seems to bring a bit of grunt to the forwardline.
All's not lost, we have some good players to come back from injury next year so back to the drawing board.

Just under 2 minutes to go in the 3rd and Healy says “Just looking a bit weary aren’t they North Melbourne. They’ve got some young guys there and a I think a few of them should take a leaf out of Willies book. Go away in the preseason, get yourself rock hard fit so you can run as hard as your competition can run”

I think Healy’s right about our young blokes getting fit, but using Willie Rioli as an example? Bloke would struggle to do a runner from a cab.

oh and lets not forget about that f@%#wit Gerard healy. you can guarantee he does not want Taz in the AA team. his comment that he isn't even in the picture is just putrid. although Taz had a game he would want to forget, he has been a colossal this year and thoroughly deserves to be in the team.

he is such an egotistical prick and his hate for north is so evident, that if I ever meet him, I would just go up to him and whisper in his ear, "you do know you have a hole in your wig"? I bet the paranoia would settle in very quickly for that half bald flog.

It was pretty funny when he said Goldstein might have been winning hitouts but Hickey was dominating in hitouts to advantage. Then they showed the stats - Hickey had exactly ONE hitout to advantage to that point in the game and Goldstein had half a dozen.

Must be the first bloke to ever have a stinker too, cos Healy reckons it means he's not much chop.

Taz had a stinker but honestly half those goals he could do sfa about. Our midfield got smashed so the defenders never stood a chance. That turn over kick across the ground just about put an end to his AA jacket.

All that aside, since Cunners slight drop off, Taz would be favourite for our BnF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back