Autopsy vs Eagles - Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

We appeared to be down on energy. We hit hard, chased and tackled (eventually) but at nowhere near the ferocity of recent weeks. I expected a loss but hoped for the full effort of recent weeks, which we lacked as we chased tail (slowly) on the back of WC’s midfield dominance. Stuff it!

Healy reckon LDU is an inside mid...blokes a genius..

Also reckons players in their 2nd and 3rd preseasons should run a lot. Pretty groundbreaking stuff, hopefully the club has him on a hotline for any other training tips.

That was as close to a JLT performance as you could get.
A free shot at the eagles on their deck and when they kicked 6 straight goals in the 3rd quarter unlike * and Brisbane who kicked behinds, well that there is the difference. Our own luck caught up with us today.

This performance was coming though. Has been brewing for weeks and the wake up call came after half time.

Our shot to get 4 points was last week at the Gabba and once Fisher took that away from us, well this trip was always going to be tough.

The Pies felt the effects of consecutive travel against GWS after they travelled to Perth and after playing a close one first up, we did the same. Nonetheless we end up with zero.

You can bet your bottom line Geelong will play a close one tomorrow against Sydney and then get done by Freo in Perth. Guaranteed.

Shithouse fixturing by the AFL as usual.

Again, the only thing I asked for this week knowing a struggle was coming was for our leaders to stand up and again a poor performance. Cunningtons last 4 weeks have been pathetic. Goldstein is giving first use and he is nowhere to be seen.

Ziebell has been deplorable. Has dropped right off again and as captain he just can’t be that flakey barometer. Useless unless he’s going at a 100 miles per hour. Astounding to think he can get away with it.

Atley and Dumont are just going through the motions - and when that happens you to tend to get injured. Since that howler against * Shauns dropped right off and it’s sad to his year end like this.
I mean this group is so predictable and is so ingrained in the Laidleyesque/Scott mantra that as soon as we hit 10th and had a chance to play finals - we bottle the * game and have the Lions steal last week away, effectively killing off our year.

We simply cannot deal with expectation and it’s concerning.

I have no issues with our kids as they develop their craft, but we must do something about the midfield.
I am not convinced on the list at all.
Thompson needs replacing and Goldi is getting on, but it’s our lack of small forwards that alarming.

(WC) Rioli, Ryan, Cripps, Cameron
(RCHM) Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Baker, Higgins, Lambert
(GEE) Ablett, Rohan, Dalhaus, Myers
(BL) Cameron, Rayner, Christensen, Mcarthy

It’s clear the top teams have drafted for this need and we have Zurhaar and Thomas but both aren’t blessed with geniune speed. Gordon ‘Pockets’ Narrier came and went and is one reason why Joyce’s is out of a job. We need to do better. Be better. Get better.

I know this is still Brads team but remarkably, remarkably, the season isn’t over and Rhys has 4 weeks to get something out of the year.

We start 3 games as favorites. Two at Marvel and 1 in Hobart.
We play a faltering Geelong at KP after they play in Sydney tomorrow, then back it up in 6 days time with a game in Perth before coming back to Victoria and playing us with a days less rest.

If Rhys wants the job he wins the next 4, splits the season at 11-11 and who the * knows what happens next.

This. He can be great in the midfield when used in short bursts and in Ganges that suit him.

Yep, people Congo on about his lack of speed and endurance all they want, but Jack is still a very useful barge in the midfield fleet. It's in Seine to suggest he no longer has anything to offer in that capacity. Yukon see that from some of his fine work in there just prior to this current dip in form.

I also find the calls for him to stand down as Captain to be pretty Volga.

The board's resident Nile-ists can be a fickle bunch after a loss.

Another good presser, although I do feel that Rhyce missed a golden opportunity to say - "If the final siren had have blown after Tarryn Thomas' goal, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, people Congo on about his lack of speed and endurance all they want, but Jack is still a very useful barge in the midfield fleet. It's in Seine to suggest he no longer has anything to offer in that capacity. Yukon see that from some of his fine work in there just prior to this current dip in form.

I also find the calls for him to stand down as Captain to be pretty Volga.

The board's resident Nile-ists can be a fickle bunch after a loss.
I thought I'd gotten away with it........

Disappointing to be smacked around the contest again after a few weeks of being stronger in that area. Defence was exposed but couldn't blame them. Also back to a fair bit of horrible disposal, especially handballs to feet. Not the coaches' best day but a lot of that is on players.

Really not at all keen to use travel as an excuse, even having done that trip this week and appreciating its impact - we were playing a team that does it all the time and seems to manage ok.

Defending premiers at home, best 22 fit and tuning up for finals, against middling team going badly enough to sack the coach, hit by injuries, and with half an eye on next year. And that's what it looked like.

I had the sound off and it sounds like a good thing.

From what I saw, Goldy got his hands to the ball, some decent taps, and did some nice follow up at ground level, but his kicking wasn't good - two shots at goal touched becaus they went that low.

We were off but West Coast were excellent. Could have been a 100 point loss to be honest. Not a great game by players and coaches.

Adam Simpson produced the best coaching display I have seen all season, and there was nothing Rhyce could do about it.

He exposed our weaknesses magnificently.

So what does Shaw do in 2020?

I was desperately hoping we would perform well against WCE without Turner and Hrovat.

Mainly because we still had Daw, McDonald, Walker, EVW, Jacobs, Thommo not in the 22.

We have the makings of a good side. One where the smaller forwards could run though the midfield as well.

At the risk of repeating some of the commentary LDU, Ahern, Zurhaar, Simpkin, Thomas need to have about 4 sets of runners preseason.

Four wins and 13 losses in WA this decade.

Bring on the 2020s....
Honestly, how do you keep kids interested in North in WA (and SA)? Barely competitive when we play here (two losses by 20 goals this year) and never had open training under Brad. Has been a dire decade for WA supporters.

Four wins and 13 losses in WA this decade.

Bring on the 2020s....
Honestly, how do you keep kids interested in North in WA (and SA)? Barely competitive when we play here (two losses by 20 goals this year) and never had open training under Brad. Has been a dire decade for WA supporters.

Really tough. Love that one of my kids is a passionate Roo.

We have been luckier in Brisbane, with Boomer’s 400th and some wins, though we have endured some crap in recent times.

All credit to the WA & SA Roos for hanging tough.

Wishing you all many magnificent Shinboner wins from 2020 onwards.

Really tough. Love that one of my kids is a passionate Roo.

We have been luckier in Brisbane, with Boomer’s 400th and some wins, though we have endured some crap in recent times.

All credit to the WA & SA Roos for hanging tough.

Wishing you all many magnificent Shinboner wins from 2020 onwards.
My young fella was copping it at junior footy yesterday and will again at school on Monday. He's constantly being bagged by his class mates about North. I feel guilty for causing that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back