Movie Left-Wing Agenda in Cinema/TV

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't mind actual left wing politics being explored in a film even if it gets too hamfisted like in Elysium, dislike halfassed disingenuous exploitation of it (where it's slightly referenced with nothing beyond a superficial consideration of it) by corporate like with the Ghostbusters remake.

Think it's pretty overblown by the right-wing youtube brigade though.

Thought this would liven things up. A genuine discussion (fingers crossed) about the sea-change in cinema and TV, of re-booting movies/shows and re-casting males to females, and creating Mary Sues, and the whole meta SJWism being pushed across more than telling good stories.

This video to start things off. Keep in mind, now a Black lesbian James Bond and Thor as a female. Plus there have been a bunch of movies of late where white males in the movie are the stupid/bad/evil/disgusting/etc types in the story.

Bro...

Well studios have always been good at exploiting cultural climates and contemporary social moods. In the 30s films about the great depression and working class were popular, the 40s propaganda films, anti-communism, film noir, etc. The diverse casts and gender-bending practices simply reflect the tastes of audiences, I mean, in the Regan-era rightwing films benefitted from attitudes around post-Vietnam and cold war tensions, the 90s had empty-headed Adam Sandler fare because of the rise in attendances of mouthbreathing knuckledraggers, and now we get a lot of soyboy/post-feminut films because they're the people who go to theaters. It's just that this is also coinciding with a lot of factors that are changing the business, streaming and online content are providing alternative platforms and the international market is more important. And this isn't simply from a Hollywood point of view as well, a number of French, Spanish, European, Mexican, etc films are focusing on narratives around feminazism/mood and behavioural disorders/tolerance and diversity, etc. But from a purely American/British point of view, I don't see it as social engineering, they're just testing the durability of these disparate markets to try and extend the longevity of the franchises because we are in the era of soyboy brand-oriented commercial filmmaking right now. A number of the major studios have stated that they're not interesting in working with auteur directors anymore and mid-budget films are slowly being phased out or pushed into streaming, so major studios are risk-averse and products are increasingly homogenized to produce that ROI.

The female Ghostbusters film was a perfect example of hollywood pushing the diversity agenda.

Also a female Thor? another political agenda. I can guarantee you that most female nerds will have a problem with having a female Thor they are perfectly fine with having male superhero leads it's almost a slap to the face to them.

The day when Hollywood announce they're making a new superman movie with a black lead when the original was portrayed by a white person for over 50 years will be the end for me.

Hollywood need to stop pushing the diversity agenda when they're making movies.

Last edited:
Also a female Thor? another political agenda. I can guarantee you that most female nerds will have a problem with having a female Thor they are perfectly fine with having male superhero leads it's almost a slap to the face to them.

Movie is based on a pre-existing comic mate.

I hate words like triggered, PC, SJW, gone VIRAL, outrage. They are bandied around so much it almost loses all meaning.

Anyway

tumblr_pqvppmPPBT1rvufhzo5_500.gif

tumblr_pr7a6hS4hI1qjmus3o1_500.gif

Im more concerned as to how they all ended up at exactly the same place during a bloody war.

It is not a “left wing” v “right wing” issue.

It is “liberal” v “conservative”.

It annoys me that these concepts keep getting mixed together.

Most Hollywood actors are very liberal in their views but many of them are pretty right wing in their politics.

Cillian Murphy has refused the role of James Bond because as a proud Irishman he does not want people to think he is English. Come on Idris see how many ******* Incels you can piss off - even more than when you appeared as a non Aryan in Asgard.

I hate words like triggered, PC, SJW, gone VIRAL, outrage. They are bandied around so much it almost loses all meaning.

Anyway

tumblr_pqvppmPPBT1rvufhzo5_500.gif

tumblr_pr7a6hS4hI1qjmus3o1_500.gif

Im more concerned as to how they all ended up at exactly the same place during a bloody war.
Even this deep into the movie, I was still more upset at Larson’s hair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cillian Murphy has refused the role of James Bond because as a proud Irishman he does not want people to think he is English. Come on Idris see how many ******* Incels you can p**s off - even more than when you appeared as a non Aryan in Asgard.

I don't think James Bond being played by Idris Elba is a problem, if he were a woman the characterisation of a secret agent who beds a lot of women in a generally chauvinistic way after rushing to their rescue - sex for dinner, death for breakfast sort of way then it would be jarring.

Women want him and men want to be him, is how he is characterised. Young men want to be him because he kicks arse and sleeps with lots of beautiful women. Women want to be with him because he is good looking, smooth, classy, competent, and kick arse.

They could write a movie with 009 who is a woman in the exact same style as Bond and she can be her own character, even introduce her in this next Bond film, but requiring her to ride the coat tails of the previous Bond iterations tells me that audiences won't be interested in seeing a perpetually lonely, casually sexy and competent powerful, beautiful woman in a male dominated profession. They've already had that movie with Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde. How did people rate that?

That explains why he turned down five series of playing an Englishman in Peaky Blinders. Oh wait...

And James Bond is Scottish.

The Shelbys are not agents of the British State (well only when convenient for business) - unlike James Bond. It is putrid for an Irishman to play such a role - I am looking at you Pierce Brosnan! Been a while since I read my Bond Anthology but he had a Scottish father and a Swiss mother if memory serves - still he does the bidding of a colonial oppressor

I don't think James Bond being played by Idris Elba is a problem, if he were a woman the characterisation of a secret agent who beds a lot of women in a generally chauvinistic way after rushing to their rescue - sex for dinner, death for breakfast sort of way then it would be jarring.

Women want him and men want to be him, is how he is characterised. Young men want to be him because he kicks arse and sleeps with lots of beautiful women. Women want to be with him because he is good looking, smooth, classy, competent, and kick arse.

They could write a movie with 009 who is a woman in the exact same style as Bond and she can be her own character, even introduce her in this next Bond film, but requiring her to ride the coat tails of the previous Bond iterations tells me that audiences won't be interested in seeing a perpetually lonely, casually sexy and competent powerful, beautiful woman in a male dominated profession. They've already had that movie with Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde. How did people rate that?

I agree on the women 009 BUT you are talking about people who think making an all female Ghost Busters is as offensive to the Western Canon as taking a pick to Michelangelo's David - Ben Shapiro will have to go on a course of drugs if they make a Bond film about a female agent

The Shelbys are not agents of the British State (well only when convenient for business) - unlike James Bond. It is putrid for an Irishman to play such a role - I am looking at you Pierce Brosnan! Been a while since I read my Bond Anthology but he had a Scottish father and a Swiss mother if memory serves - still he does the bidding of a colonial oppressor

Tommy Shelby served with distinction as an agent of the British State in WW 1.

Anyway you made it up. Cillian Murphy says he wouldn't want the role because he thinks the next James Bond should be a woman.

Tommy Shelby served with distinction as an agent of the British State in WW 1.

Anyway you made it up. Cillian Murphy says he wouldn't want the role because he thinks the next James Bond should be a woman.

He was a tunnel digger in WWI that is not the same as being a spy. He was not an "agent" but a soldier. We had First Nations soldiers in WWI and they came back to the same apartheid - that did not make them "agents of the State". Your conflating the ordinary meaning of the word "agent" with "secret agent" - they have different meanings in that context

I agree on the women 009 BUT you are talking about people who think making an all female Ghost Busters is as offensive to the Western Canon as taking a pick to Michelangelo's David - Ben Shapiro will have to go on a course of drugs if they make a Bond film about a female agent
I like the idea of 007 and 009 verbally sparing like Bond and Moneypenny, both firing innuendo at each other. Even having 009 giving a wink to Moneypenny when she walks by like "there's one for the girls".

But the question is will a character like that be something that draws people to them without it being a foil for Bond to bounce off.

Making Bond female is flipping the gender and either maintaining the characteristics which will make the role into an impression of a male Bond, and he is a real jerk so she will come across like a self absorbed cow, or they change the character in which case she may as well have been her own character in the universe.

The exploration of a strong, capable woman in a male dominated field is rich enough with possibility. M was equally strong in her own way. Women don't need to be men without the bits to be strong.

Idris Elba is a terrific actor. The problem isn't that he is black, it's that James Bond isn't black. It would be like Shaft being played by Tom Hardy.

I agree. A female James Bond makes no sense. Better to write a new character that has similar skills and her own personality. Atomic Blonde wasn't so good. Helen Mirren in the Red movies is a lot of fun. And Jody Comer is fantastic in the Killing Eve TV series.

There's hardly an action movie where there isn't a kick ass tiny female destroying huge men.

Most of the awards, such as the BAFTAs, require 'diversity' including historical revisionism to 'revise traditional elements to increase representation'.

Men are stupid and women are smart. TV ads tell me so.

i started noticing this about 10-15 years ago....gradually

Meh. For 50 odd years tv/movies mostly told women they were either housewives or damsels in distress, I don't really care if things have been unrealistically flipped over the last decade or so in the name of redressing some of the traditional imbalance. Effects my life not one iota and little girls get some superheroes that are more relatable.

He was a tunnel digger in WWI that is not the same as being a spy. He was not an "agent" but a soldier. We had First Nations soldiers in WWI and they came back to the same apartheid - that did not make them "agents of the State". Your conflating the ordinary meaning of the word "agent" with "secret agent" - they have different meanings in that context

Agent as in 'acting on behalf of'.

Idris Elba is a terrific actor. The problem isn't that he is black, it's that James Bond isn't black. It would be like Shaft being played by Tom Hardy.

I agree. A female James Bond makes no sense. Better to write a new character that has similar skills and her own personality. Atomic Blonde wasn't so good. Helen Mirren in the Red movies is a lot of fun. And Jody Comer is fantastic in the Killing Eve TV series.
I don't think it matters that he is black if 007 and James Bond are code names that are passed to new agents when the old ones are moved on, like M was. He's just the next cab off the rank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back