Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with Brisbane is a disfunctional forward line, its not Adams or Bailey or Ainsworth like some people here have suggested.
The problems have been apparent all year but have been papered over with an easy draw playing mostly lesser opposition.
The problems are as follows,
1 Cant take a contested pack mark.
2 Cant take a contested one on one mark
3 Cant kick straight from set shots. (Huge problem)
4 Cant lock the ball in when it goes to ground
5 Dont pressure the defence nearly enough to cause turn overs
6 Over reliant on one small forward to kick a bag every week
7 Far to reliant on midfielders drifting forward to kick goals.

Until these problems are rectified we will never be able to mix it with the big boys.Bring on the trade and draft.

Anyone else frustrated by Robbo's game? Not sure if he was injured from the start of the game but kept overcomnitting to contests and going to ground letting them out the back.
I reckon he was carrying something , really strapped up , but at least he was trying to quell the momentum by applying some physical pressure . They're a tough team to stop once they have some run, he made a few blues but his endeavour was outstanding.

The problem with Brisbane is a disfunctional forward line, its not Adams or Bailey or Ainsworth like some people here have suggested.
The problems have been apparent all year but have been papered over with an easy draw playing mostly lesser opposition.
The problems are as follows,
1 Cant take a contested pack mark.
2 Cant take a contested one on one mark
3 Cant kick straight from set shots. (Huge problem)
4 Cant lock the ball in when it goes to ground
5 Dont pressure the defence nearly enough to cause turn overs
6 Over reliant on one small forward to kick a bag every week
7 Far to reliant on midfielders drifting forward to kick goals.

Until these problems are rectified we will never be able to mix it with the big boys.Bring on the trade and draft.

Dysfunctional forward in the highest scoring team this season.....

Watch the Richmond press conference if you can. Made me feel a lot better about tonight and our side.
Hardwick’s response regarding Grimes staging was poor to say the least. I’d be disappointed if Fagan didn’t call out his own player if one of them staged to such an extent or carried on with such unsportsmanlike like behaviour if posed with a similar question.

The worst we've played since playing Carlton.
Umpiring was a disgrace, but not the deciding factor. That said, when you playing poorly, to have opportunities ripped from you, really stings. Hippie's mark and Dusty's throw were terrible. Getting pinged for holding the ball, when there was no prior opportunity was also a killer.
Lions were beaten by 3 teams tonight; Richmond, the umpires and themselves.
Pretty deflating, but I half expected it. Watching Richmond and Collingwood, it's plain to see they are a different level, and we're still some way off.

Just finished watching.
Honestly can't think of anything positve about that performance. I probably will in a few hours but that was just awful.
There was so many plyers that had stinkers inc but not limited to: Cameron, Hippy, McStay (yes he got a goal but he missed one that was 30m out which ended up being a 12 point turnaround), Adams, Martin, Big O, McCarthy etc.

Umps really ****ed us, not the reason we lost but they directly contributed to quite a few goals against us. Martin throw, Chrstensen hit high, Hippy mark just to name a few.

Lot of people said we would lose due to inexperience and that is exactly what happened. The amount of misses was just pathetic.

Also, l thought Hodge was fantastic, much better than the majority of our players but he also directly cost us a goal early on. Should have had an easy mark on the def 50 boundary, fumbled and cost us a goal.

Rayner looked great early on, looked damaging but didn't get a great deal of it. Needs a massive pre-season.

Edit: Also thought our 1st quarter wasn't very good. We had 4 goals or something but we should have 7 or 8. I knew that with all the dominaton and we were only up by 2 goals it would come back to bite us. Exact same thing happened last year vs Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dysfunctional forward in the highest scoring team this season.....
This has been mentioned a lot throughout the season but the bulk of the goalscorers are small forwards and midfielders drfting forward, not McSTay, Big O and Hippy who don't take enough grabs, lead etc ... which has also been mentioned throughtout the season

Just finished watching.
Honestly can't think of anything positve about that performance. I probably will in a few hours but that was just awful.
There was so many plyers that had stinkers inc but not limited to: Cameron, Hippy, McStay (yes he got a goal but he missed one that was 30m out which ended up being a 12 point turnaround), Adams, Martin, Big O, McCarthy etc.

Umps really f’ed us, not the reason we lost but they directly contributed to quite a few goals against us. Martin throw, Chrstensen hit high, Hippy mark just to name a few.

Lot of people said we would lose due to inexperience and that is exactly what happened. The amount of misses was just pathetic.

Also, l thought Hodge was fantastic, much better than the majority of our players but he also directly cost us a goal early on. Should have had an easy mark on the def 50 boundary, fumbled and cost us a goal.

Rayner looked great early on, looked damaging but didn't get a great deal of it. Needs a massive pre-season.

Edit: Also thought our 1st quarter wasn't very good. We had 4 goals or something but we should have 7 or 8. I knew that with all the dominaton and we were only up by 2 goals it would come back to bite us. Exact same thing happened last year vs Collingwood.

I'm honestly at a loss on the Hipwood mark, he gets his hands on it but it lands directly on the grass.. he didn't get under it, they never get paid.

I'm honestly at a loss on the Hipwood mark, he gets his hands on it but it lands directly on the grass.. he didn't get under it, they never get paid.
Nah, he marked that, watched it a few times. Arms were under it, gets paid every day of the week, not sure why this wasn't maybe unsighted or something

Watched it a few times , it never even touched the deck imo , ended up between his legs . But whatever we can go on about the umpiring till the cows come home ,it's done now ,we've got to get ourselves up for a tough opponent next week. They'd have to be thinking we're vulnerable.

We can't be making changes at this stage . It's important that we keep ourselves up for it.

Not one angle on the coverage showed the ball making direct contact with the grass so unless the umpire saw an angle we didn’t (which anything’s possible given the amount of obvious things they missed all night) or you saw at the ground, I’m not sure how you say that.

I’m probs going to go into the trade tread over the next few days to have a chat about things we need if we want to beat a team like Richmond. We’re too Charlie-centric at the moment amongst other things.

I think you may have a valid point, if you are saying we are one-dimensional relying to heavily on charlie and r therefore predictable . I would tend to agree with you ,so good point. I would like to see some other focal points so we are harder to read for their defenders ,when we go forward. Variety is the spice of life they say.

Brisbane is basically Warner and Richmond is Broad the way things are. It was such a domination after 1st quarter l hope we don't have scars for next game. Fagan has got big job on his hands as GWS looked fantastic today. First and foremost, need to do some goalkicking practice.
Who is gonna replace Robinson?

Tigers played a great game. Dusty is hitting his stride at exactly the right time.

I thought we battled hard. Lots of mistakes in the little things that the tigers just capitalised on.

I also thought that we honestly played a really good first half, other than the goalkicking. After that point, scoreboard pressure really started to creep in. We should have been in a position where that was what they were experiencing.

We should keep our heads up. Our performance was a lot better than the final score showed. Against the best team in the league, we won on most stat lines. It was just our dreadful goalkicking compounded with their unbelievable goalkicking that really put the pressure on.

Umpiring was dreadful, but I can understand Tigers feeling pretty hard done by too. I would've been absolutely filthy if I was a Tigers fan after that Stef Martin 50m for example.

No lions commentators for our home final? But richo is boundary rider? Where was lynchy? Or was it all about the visitors?

Seems as though the afl and channel 7 barracking to get the tiges over the line for more ratings and more money..how conspiracy theory of me. Even the umps were doing their best to make sure the tiges are ok

Brisbane is basically Warner and Richmond is Broad the way things are. It was such a domination after 1st quarter l hope we don't have scars for next game. Fagan has got big job on his hands as GWS looked fantastic today. First and foremost, need to do some goalkicking practice.
Who is gonna replace Robinson?
That's a big question because he's exactly what we need against GWS.

I guess Keays or Matho are the options. Presuming they would never roll the dice on Cutler who isn't like for like.

I think you may have a valid point, if you are saying we are one-dimensional relying to heavily on charlie and r therefore predictable . I would tend to agree with you ,so good point. I would like to see some other focal points so we are harder to read for their defenders ,when we go forward. Variety is the spice of life they say.
The fact we waited as long as we did to make a change with our forward set up was disappointing too. Hardwick’s decision to exploit our defence by shifting Martin forward was genius and is the type of move we rarely make.

We rarely if ever go for a left field move other than just shuffle the forward line between Rayner, Christensen, Cameron, McCarthy, McStay, Hipwood and McInerney. It’s predictable. Hell, move Andrews to full forward or a Mitch Robinson or even Jarrod Berry, guys that are good overhead marks.

Back