Toast Brett Ratten - New Senior Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright saints fans, here's why this signing matters.

Before today, I've never felt any excitement or anticipation when we appoint a new coach. Typically, I feel we always make the wrong appointment, and/or the process we follow is a flawed one.

Just look at the last 20 yrs, through our own approach, we've made coaching St Kilda seem like those taking it on were doing us a favour, that we are a charity case, when really they should be feeling priveledged and honoured to coach our great club.

As a fan, I had a hard time getting behind all those coaches because I never trusted their motivations. Also, communication from those guys was just pathetic, sometimes even disrespectful.

Crazy to think, Richo is my favourite coach since Alves and Sheldon. Low bar I know, but at least he was relatable, and you knew he wasnt driven by ego and he had genuine care for the club and its people.

So onto Ratts. Initially, my support of his candidacy wasn't a result of confidence in his coaching ability, but it was due to me hating the other candidates.

However, every time he's spoken, he's just continued to impress me. And it culminated in today's press conference, where I was genuinely moved by what he said and how he said it. For the first time, we actually have a coach that wants to be here, who understands how important the club is to so many people. Finally, we have someone who feels proud and priveledged to coach the saints.

That's why today was a good day, folks.

Well said mate.

I really liked his press conference, especially when he answered one of the questions along this line "It's been a long time since this club has won the last premiership and I want to hold the next cup for the players and supporters".

Last edited:
Alright saints fans, here's why this signing matters.

Before today, I've never felt any excitement or anticipation when we appoint a new coach. Typically, I feel we always make the wrong appointment, and/or the process we follow is a flawed one.

Just look at the last 20 yrs, through our own approach, we've made coaching St Kilda seem like those taking it on were doing us a favour, that we are a charity case, when really they should be feeling priveledged and honoured to coach our great club.

As a fan, I had a hard time getting behind all those coaches because I never trusted their motivations. Also, communication from those guys was just pathetic, sometimes even disrespectful.

Crazy to think, Richo is my favourite coach since Alves and Sheldon. Low bar I know, but at least he was relatable, and you knew he wasnt driven by ego and he had genuine care for the club and its people.

So onto Ratts. Initially, my support of his candidacy wasn't a result of any confidence in his coaching ability, but due to me hating the other candidates.

However, every time he's spoken, he's just continued to impress me. And it culminated in today's press conference, where I was genuinely moved by what he said and how he said it. For the first time, we actually have a coach that wants to be here, who understands how important the club is to so many people. Finally, we have someone who feels proud and priveledged to coach the saints.

That's why today was a good day, folks.

I actually got goosebumps during his message to the members.

Well said mate.
I really liked his press conference, especially when answered one of the questions along this line "It's been a long time since this club won the last premiership and I want to hold the next cup for the players and supporters".
I actually got goosebumps during his message to the members.

Seriously, it felt like he was talking directly to us, instead of at us. I cant remember anyone as effective in their messaging as him. He made me beem with pride just by talking for 2 minutes. I reckon if the club called me at that moment id probably sign up for 10 yrs. lol.

Look at his excitement, ffs! It's beyond infectious.

Anyway, I'm not usually the type to get excited or optimistic. But damn, after listening to him i actually have hope now. At the very least, i know he'll do the right thing by the club, and fans will be included in the whole journey.

Last edited:

Nothing against Richo. Great bloke and good coach. But I just got sick of his monotone, tow the company line, over use of words like “strong” “positive”.

Ratts is a fair better media man and far more relatable to far more people. Speaks naturally and honestly but with emotion. Love it.

Plenty out there in social media land that think we did....
I swear they just want to complain for the sake of it.

F*CK them. Let them cry...it's not like they can do anything about it...a few hashtags here & there, a few thumbs down. Virtual space is a platform of cats, opinions & pr0n. I rather reality.

Nothing against Richo. Great bloke and good coach. But I just got sick of his monotone, tow the company line, over use of words like “strong” “positive”.

Ratts is a fair better media man and far more relatable to far more people. Speaks naturally and honestly but with emotion. Love it.

Liked Richo as a bloke ...for a guy that has been part of a lot of clubs coaching setups the issue
I had was he was unbelievably poor tactically particularly against teams that use the ball well by foot.

Eg Adelaide / Sydney / Richmond ... teams that rebound of half back kill us.
Geelong outnumbering behind the ball just continually kicked to the ball to them .

Little snippets of what Ratten said are the clue , said game style lacking ( advised it will be different next year )
Also said our ball use was poor all year said this has to be corrected by either different personnel or
educated last week can’t continue.

Against having more effort than the opposition Richo’s master plan.

View attachment 741627

Im NOT A PRETTY MAN BUT WHEN I LOOK AT THESE THREE I JUST HOPE THEY PRODUCE RESULTS BETTER THAN WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE ...THEY LOOK LIKE MONTY PYTHON'S MEANING TO LIFE MEETS MAD MAGAZINE IN THE MIDDLE.......FACES ONLY A MOTHER WOULD LOVE..HA !!

But which one would you A) Marry. B) Shag. C) Friend zone.

View attachment 741627

Im NOT A PRETTY MAN BUT WHEN I LOOK AT THESE THREE I JUST HOPE THEY PRODUCE RESULTS BETTER THAN WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE ...THEY LOOK LIKE MONTY PYTHON'S MEANING TO LIFE MEETS MAD MAGAZINE IN THE MIDDLE.......FACES ONLY A MOTHER WOULD LOVE..HA !!
Finnis doesn’t really look like Cleese however it makes for a funnier pic 😃

HOW MUCH DOES RATTS ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE ALFRED E. NEUMAN ? AND MAT FINNIS REMINDS ME MORE OF GENE WILDER AS WILLIE WONKA ............ ANDREW BASSAT AS LEANING TOWARD A STAN LAUREL FROM LAUREL AND HARDY IF ANYTHING... BIT THAT IS A GREAT PIECE OF ARTWORK DR SPACEMAN....LOL

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was over the moon last year when Rats was appointed an assistant coach, but now to finally see him get the main gig at the saints I'm rapt!

We couldn't have picked a better candidate that was available

LOVE the way he speaks with emotion and truth, he just seems like the most genuine bloke going round

Welcome Rats to the gig I for one am right behind you for the next three years

Always thought Brett was hard done by at Carlton. Have watched him since then and thought it would be good to see him get another crack at a senior coaching gig. I couldn't be happier that he's been appointed as our new coach. From what i can see with how he carries himself etc, I like the bloke. I think his time under Clarkson is hugely important. I have no doubt he's the man to take us forward.

Good luck Ratts... and well done Saints

Bring on 2020

Just love the emotive way that Ratts speaks, be it in the members presser, or the conference, the humble respect for the opportunity he has been given, the obviously footy IQ that he possesses, I've totally bought in, and can't wait to see what we can achieve in this era of our great club! :)

Sorry to intrude, but I have to say how pleased I was to see Ratts get the top job with you, I don't think he will let you down. If your list management and administration are up to scratch then I would expect to see significant improvement. Just because he is one of natures gentlemen I don't think you will see he is soft. Good luck.

View attachment 741627

He'd never win a beauty contest, but that's okay, just win some football matches. and keep that smile next year.

Congratulations to the old boy.

Gentleman of the highest integrity and pretty bloody good at his job.

Thrilled to have him appointed as was his destiny once he was brought in last year.

Process followed by the club, and I note that given what the other two clubs did, there is probably a lack of quality candidates put there.

Get on board for 2020! The new era has begun...

I remember being blown away listening to Clarko in an interview this year. He was talking about what drives him as a coach. His response was “I want to achieve success for guys like Wingard, Scully, etc who trusted me & came to the club to win a flag.” Point being, it was never about him. Gee it impressed me.

Watching the coaching announcement press conference for the first time earlier this morning I saw a similar theme coming from Ratts. It was never about him. It was about the club, including staff & players, the fans & his family. Great quality.

Congrats Ratts.

The task is to win more games and get into finals- over to you Ratts.

He mentioned interesting stat that puts into perspective on Friday nearly the same number of set shots
as West Coast (2 difference ) Eagles have scored over 200 points for the year more than the Saints for nearly
same amount of attempts.

He mentioned interesting stat that puts into perspective on Friday nearly the same number of set shots
as West Coast (2 difference ) Eagles have scored over 200 points for the year more than the Saints for nearly
same amount of attempts.

Wait until next year when we have no Bruce. 30 plus goals gone and next best is Parker on 16. We are going to struggle to kick 40 points a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back