Enjoy missing the rest of the finals Greene, you scumbag

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussing the decision is a moot point in context however it does highlight the major disparities with tribunal and punishment. Any player fronting the tribunal for eye gouging/misconduct should plead guilty and appeal any suspension on the basis of Greene’s fine.

The tribunal has been a shambles for a long time, this was not really a surprise imo.
I don't think the AFL tribunal is bound by precedent in the same way that the law of the land is.

If they don't like the precedent they can simply ignore it and decide on something else.

If they don't like the precedent they can simply ignore it and decide on something else.

The basis of the fine was a recommendation from a QC reviewing the impact, penalty etc. If you want a fair and impartial system, it has to be in accordance with the rules that state mandatory penalties for specified acts. It could be argued that - forget about the rules because we'll make it up as we go along, which is what we're seeing.

It can be argued that Greene has become a protected player, as opposed to any other rank and file player which doesnt either draw a crowd, or their absence become detrimental to the impact of the game in a particular region (aka Franklin 3 strikes Sydney)

I get what you're saying and a fine of $7500 would be a fair old whack if it was handed out to a rookie who gets far less salary than Greene. However if the point of the punishment is to be a disincentive to repeat the behaviour then a fine of this order obviously doesn't work - as we have seen! - when you're pulling in far in excess of half a million a year

Then you don't get what I'm saying....

(Sorry. Really. I've been around too long to enjoy conflict!)

I agree one million per cent that punishment SHOULD create disincentive, but in real world terms the fine amount is normal.

(ie. No weighting to salary...)

Then you don't get what I'm saying....

(Sorry. Really. I've been around too long to enjoy conflict!)

I agree one million per cent that punishment SHOULD create disincentive, but in real world terms the fine amount is normal.

(ie. No weighting to salary...)
Well we’re obviously not on the same page. I’m not saying it should be weighted to salary either. That’s a slippery slope.

I’m saying a fine is ineffectual and inappropriate in this situation. I was giving one fairly obvious reason why it’s ineffectual.

I get what you're saying and a fine of $7500 would be a fair old whack if it was handed out to a rookie who gets far less salary than Greene. However if the point of the punishment is to be a disincentive to repeat the behaviour then a fine of this order obviously doesn't work - as we have seen! - when you're pulling in far in excess of half a million a year

A suspension from a finals game on the other hand would be different for many reasons, not least that it lets down the club and his teammates who might take a different view of it than if he was fined, especially if it leads to a narrow loss in the next final and the end of the Giants' season.

While I'm sure Greene would rather not have to pay the fine at all I bet he was delighted with the outcome on Monday. It's also very short odds that he'll repeat that sort of behaviour soon enough, probably no later than 2020.

$7,500 is bugger all for 2019.

Remember 1994 when Danny Southern was fined $10,000 for the famous Sumich choke hold?

What would be the equivalent of that in today's money?

Well we’re obviously not on the same page. I’m not saying it should be weighted to salary either. That’s a slippery slope.

I’m saying a fine is ineffectual and inappropriate in this situation. I was giving one fairly obvious reason why it’s ineffectual.

We're on exactly the same page.
A fine is stupid. It needed to be more harsh. Obviously.
However when the fine is the result, it *is* the result.

The tribunal system is fundamentally broken because there is no independent prosecution.

The AFL should not be the prosecuting entity because it has commercial interests that often (if not always) conflict with maximising suspensions.

The AFL attending the tribunal and making no submissions is the perfect demonstration of this.

Can’t wait for the AFL to explain why Tom Hawkins deserves a suspension when he gets it but Greene does not.

“Well, erm, we, you see, um, the two incidents were in, er...hey, look over there! *runs away quickly*”

Channel 7s cameras are so s**t that they could argue you couldn’t definitively tell if he was eye gouging (of course he was) and they could sweep it under the rug. Even with the s**t cameras it’s hard to miss the roundarm to the jaw off the ball.

Channel 7s cameras are so s**t that they could argue you couldn’t definitively tell if he was eye gouging (of course he was) and they could sweep it under the rug. Even with the s**t cameras it’s hard to miss the roundarm to the jaw off the ball.

My point is the AFL will fall over themselves to explain why Hawkins will be suspended (which he probably should be) whilst Greene shouldn’t have been (when he absolutely, 100%, never been more certain of anything should have been).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight’s the night. Plastics out, Greene coathangered or kicked in the nuts again (both if possible), Finlayson to go missing and the rest of the faux tough guys to be sat on their a****.

I don't think the AFL tribunal is bound by precedent in the same way that the law of the land is.

It’s not a court. It’s not bound by anything.

They’ll do as they please when they please.

I for one am shocked that Greene did the exact ******* same thing a week later. Even did the whole looking around for the umpire thing

... I bet he was delighted with the outcome on Monday. It's also very short odds that he'll repeat that sort of behaviour soon enough, probably no later than 2020.
Forgive me for bumping my own post but ... only took 7 days.

This thread isn’t embarrassing. I feel completely comfortable saying publicly that his behaviour is a disgrace to the game and to sportsmanship in general. Sets a poor example for kids coming through as well. Hope he has a shocker this week and they get knocked out. It’s not ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back