2019 Non-Crows AFL Chat #3 - the off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't THE lead author, he was one of ten lead authors (and around 70 contributing authors) of a single chapter (of which there are 14) of the IPCC's third assessment report. Close to a thousand climate scientists worked to author/edit that report, more than a hundred of whom are listed as lead authors of the various chapters. And this report is just one of four sections of the third climate assessment.

The report clearly states within its summary for policymakers that climate change is happening and is a result of human activity. You won't find many of the contributors, besides Lindzen, who deny that.

Lindzen's chapter does discuss difficulties with accurate modeling of some indicators of climate change, but that report is nearly two decades old, and you'll find in more recent reports that most of these uncertainties no longer exist and that, in many cases, older models underestimated the rate at which climate change is occurring and its relationship to human activity.

Lindzen's view has been denounced by the majority of his former (he's been retired for years) faculty at MIT (note K. Emanuel on this list, who also worked on Lindzen's chapter of the third assessment, and has continued to work on subsequent IPCC reports). Lindzen has also accepted money from a major climate-change-denying coal company.

So who is shamefully dishonest here again? But well done for citing a 2UE radio host's blog and then claiming others have weak arguments! Classic Sanders!

I don't visit here much at all anymore, but I haven't forgotten you. Somehow, I'm not even slightly surprised that you're a climate-crisis denier.

You don’t visit because of the weakness of your arguments. Nothing more

Yes, the former head of meteorology. If that is such an important role to you then what does the current head of meteorology at MIT think? Well he thinks there is overwhelming evidence in support of global warming.

Neither of us are climate scientists so both of us can spout "bland rhetoric" as much as we want. Ultimately current scientific consensus is in favour of global warming. Over 97% of climate scientists agree. And that is from ********** NASA!!

Tell me about the 97%

I saw Greg Anderson at South Adelaide FC tonight.

Still has that youthful look. Has not changed 1 bit
I walked past him at the grand final last Sunday, yep he hasn't changed, must be the haircut

The council is not taking the land back. Sport will still continue to be played at the venue with or without the footy club

He was there to support Cove as they had their club get together to rally the troops for the battle to keep the club where it is. He was their 2008 A Grade premiership coach
So why does the bmx club have to relocate then?

I don't believe the BMX club "has" to do anything. Thye may be looking to relocate for other reasons. Bigger venue and more space for themselves?
I was told they were told back in about 2015 they had 5-6 years to find another location.
majors rd was the location they were looking at but need to raise funds for a slip lane.

I was told they were told back in about 2015 they had 5-6 years to find another location.
majors rd was the location they were looking at but need to raise funds for a slip lane.

Possibly, but i was still living in WA in 2015, so may have missed that

Cove Soccer have been looking for a suitable new ground to play at since 2015 too, but nothing has ever been feasible for them due to soil issues etc

Tell me about the 97%
It's a figure arrived at after a survey of peer-reviewed research articles by scientists working in the field. Of the several thousand of these papers that took a definitive position on the cause of global warming, 97% attributed it to human activity.

This survey is supported by several other independent studies, which show this figure to be between 90 and 100%.

This paper summarises and evaluates the findings of these studies if you're interested.

Tellingly, if you adjust the survey sample to only include the most qualified and experienced (based on body of work in the field) climate scientists, the level of consensus increases. In other words, there is a clear, significant correlation between expertise in climate science and an acceptance that this climate crisis is driven primarily or entirely by humans.

Meanwhile, Lindzen's collection of (far fewer) signatures is padded, as other posters have shown, with non-experts and even non-scientists. But sure, that's most definitely a more significant piece of evidence here. Screw the thousands of other contributors to IPCC research reports and the conclusions of the actual report you noted as evidence of Lindzhen's expertise; screw NASA climate data. It's this one guy you'll be hitching your wagon to! You are truly a master of critical thinking!

I don't visit here much anymore because I don't often have a lot of time to waste reading nonsense from angry, middle-aged trolls like yourself. As someone who isn't due to die before the worst of the predicted consequences of climate change eventuate, however, I do feel obliged to clear up a few things about the unjustifiably irrational nonsense you, and the clowns agreeing with your posts, apparently believe. Not to convince you, because, as we've all seen time and time again, once your prejudices have led you to a conclusion, all the evidence and logical reasoning in the world won't sway you. No, I'm just hoping those who haven't taken the time to stay informed won't waste their time reading the bullshit you've written about this particularly important topic.

This isn't an issue that has been hijacked by "woke Millenials" or even Greta Thunberg (who, for the record, isn't representing herself as someone who fully understands the science - she is simply taking the very reasonable position that perhaps we should listen to the people who do!). It was hijacked long ago by certain politicians, multinational companies and partisan media agencies almost all of whom have one thing in common: they directly profit or personally benefit from the sale of fossil fuels. Unfortunately, they managed to convince enough village-idiots like yourself that this issue had some sort of significant debate surrounding it within the scientific community, and so we're now in position that the changes that we as a species must be making, are simply not being made fast enough to save us. Nice job! I suppose you also agree with the top scientists of the reputable Philip Morris group who told us all that smoking is great for your health!

How does this relate to footy? Well, A: Sam Newman is pathetic hypocrite, and B: given what the IPCC has predicted for Australia's rainfall in the upcoming decades (hint: far, far more irregular, leading to periods of intense drought, broken by intense rainfall resulting in wide-spread flooding), we might be struggling to keep grass on our ovals moving forward.

Go Giants.

It's a figure arrived at after a survey of peer-reviewed research articles by scientists working in the field. Of the several thousand of these papers that took a definitive position on the cause of global warming, 97% attributed it to human activity.

This survey is supported by several other independent studies, which show this figure to be between 90 and 100%.

This paper summarises and evaluates the findings of these studies if you're interested.

Tellingly, if you adjust the survey sample to only include the most qualified and experienced (based on body of work in the field) climate scientists, the level of consensus increases. In other words, there is a clear, significant correlation between expertise in climate science and an acceptance that this climate crisis is driven primarily or entirely by humans.

Meanwhile, Lindzen's collection of (far fewer) signatures is padded, as other posters have shown, with non-experts and even non-scientists. But sure, that's most definitely a more significant piece of evidence here. Screw the thousands of other contributors to IPCC research reports and the conclusions of the actual report you noted as evidence of Lindzhen's expertise; screw NASA climate data. It's this one guy you'll be hitching your wagon to! You are truly a master of critical thinking!

I don't visit here much anymore because I don't often have a lot of time to waste reading nonsense from angry, middle-aged trolls like yourself. As someone who isn't due to die before the worst of the predicted consequences of climate change eventuate, however, I do feel obliged to clear up a few things about the unjustifiably irrational nonsense you, and the clowns agreeing with your posts, apparently believe. Not to convince you, because, as we've all seen time and time again, once your prejudices have led you to a conclusion, all the evidence and logical reasoning in the world won't sway you. No, I'm just hoping those who haven't taken the time to stay informed won't waste their time reading the bulls**t you've written about this particularly important topic.

This isn't an issue that has been hijacked by "woke Millenials" or even Greta Thunberg (who, for the record, isn't representing herself as someone who fully understands the science - she is simply taking the very reasonable position that perhaps we should listen to the people who do!). It was hijacked long ago by certain politicians, multinational companies and partisan media agencies almost all of whom have one thing in common: they directly profit or personally benefit from the sale of fossil fuels. Unfortunately, they managed to convince enough village-idiots like yourself that this issue had some sort of significant debate surrounding it within the scientific community, and so we're now in position that the changes that we as a species must be making, are simply not being made fast enough to save us. Nice job! I suppose you also agree with the top scientists of the reputable Philip Morris group who told us all that smoking is great for your health!

How does this relate to footy? Well, A: Sam Newman is pathetic hypocrite, and B: given what the IPCC has predicted for Australia's rainfall in the upcoming decades (hint: far, far more irregular, leading to periods of intense drought, broken by intense rainfall resulting in wide-spread flooding), we might be struggling to keep grass on our ovals moving forward.

Go Giants.
Not to mention we haven’t been in an El Niño cycle for a long time and experiencing drought, I hate to think how things will be when we are in the middle of an El Niño cycle in the near future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is that it’s an issue that had been politicised behind the reach of the science behind it.

What’s worse is you have a bunch of woke millennials who blindly parrot everything they hear to seem even more woke in the woke olympics

Consider this: 500 of the worlds most eminent scientists wrote to the UN to have a depoliticised debate on the subject

Letter 1

Your Excellencies,

There is no climate emergency
A global network of more than 500 knowledgeable and experienced scientists and professionals in climate and related fields have the honor to address to Your Excellencies the attached European Climate Declaration, for which the signatories to this letter are the national ambassadors.

The general-circulation models of climate on which international policy is at present founded are unfit for their purpose. Therefore, it is cruel as well as imprudent to advocate the squandering of trillions on the basis of results from such immature models. Current climate policies pointlessly, grievously undermine the economic system, putting lives at risk in countries denied access to affordable, continuous electrical power.

We urge you to follow a climate policy based on sound science, realistic economics and genuine concern for those harmed by costly but unnecessary attempts at mitigation.

We ask you to place the Declaration on the agenda of your imminent New York session.

We also invite you to organize with us a constructive high-level meeting between world-class scientists on both sides of the climate debate early in 2020. The meeting will give effect to the sound and ancient principle no less of sound science than of natural justice that both sides should be fully and fairly heard. Audiatur et altera pars!

Please let us know your thoughts about such a joint meeting.

Letter 2

There is no climate emergency

A global network of 500 scientists and professionals has prepared this urgent message. Climate science should be less political, while climate polities should be more scientific. Scientists should openly address the uncertainties and exaggerations in their predictions of global warming, while politicians should dispassionately count the real benefits as well as the imagined costs of adaptation to global warming, and the real costs as well as the imagined benefits of mitigation.

Natural as well as anthropogenic factors cause warming

The geological archive reveals that Earth’s climate has varied as long as the planet has existed, with natural cold and warm phases. The Little Ice Age ended as recently as 1850. Therefore, it is no surprise that we now are experiencing a period of warming. Only very few peer-reviewed papers even go so far as to say that recent warming is chiefly anthropogenic.

Warming is far slower than predicted

The world has warmed at less than half the originally-predicted rate, and at less than half the rate to be expected on the basis of net anthropogenic forcing and radiative imbalance. It tells us that we are far from understanding climate change.

Climate policy relies on inadequate models

Climate models have many shortcomings and are not remotely plausible as policy tools. Moreover, they most likely exaggerate the effect of greenhouse gases such as CO2. In addition, they ignore the fact that enriching the atmosphere with CO2 is beneficial.

CO2 is plant food, the basis of all life on Earth

CO2 is not a pollutant. It is essential to all life on Earth. Photosynthesis is a blessing. More CO2 is beneficial for nature, greening the Earth: additional CO2 in the air has promoted growth in global plant biomass. It is also good for agriculture, increasing the yields of crop worldwide.

Global warming has not increased natural disasters

There is no statistical evidence that global warming is intensifying hurricanes, floods, droughts and suchlike natural disasters, or making them more frequent. However, CO2-mitigation measures are as damaging as they are costly. For instance, wind turbines kill birds and bats, and palm-oil plantations destroy the biodiversity of the rainforests.

Policy must respect scientific and economic realities

There is no climate emergency. Therefore, there is no cause for panic and alarm. We strongly oppose the harmful and unrealistic net-zero CO2 policy proposed for 2050. If better approaches emerge, we will have ample time to reflect and adapt. The aim of international policy should be to provide reliable and affordable energy at all times, and throughout the world.

Our advice to political leaders is that science should strive for a significantly better understanding of the climate system, while politics should focus on minimizing potential climate damage by prioritizing adaptation strategies based on proven and affordable technologies.
The undersigned ECD Ambassadors

But yes let’s all listen to a ******* school girl 😇

Really, who are this scientists - perhaps wait and see.

Yes, CO2 is required for plants but it isn’t that simplistic.

Come the middle of this century, those still living (and I’ll guarantee most of this 500 will be dead and buried) will b3 saying what the * were they thinking.

Climate deniers belong with the flat earthers.

Really, who are this scientists - perhaps wait and see.

Yes, CO2 is required for plants but it isn’t that simplistic.

Come the middle of this century, those still living (and I’ll guarantee most of this 500 will be dead and buried) will b3 saying what the fu** were they thinking.

Climate deniers belong with the flat earthers.
Flat earthers are also a modern phenomenon.

People becoming scared of people they think know more than they do.

That’s all very general, and dare I say hopeful.

Firstly no one even says that 97% of scientists agree there is a climate emergency

The story, insofar as it is alleged to be true, is that 97% believe climate change is at least partly anthropogenic

[/i] however the 97% that people like you just lap up is bogus.

Let’s look at where it came from, which woke numpties like you have never bothered to consider.

(1)

The “97 percent” statistic first appeared prominently in a 2009 study by University of Illinois master’s student Kendall Zimmerman and her adviser, Peter Doran. Based on a two-question online survey, Zimmerman and Doran concluded that “the debate on the authenticity of global warming and the role played by human activity is largely nonexistent among those who understand the nuances and scientific bases of long-term climate processes” — even though only 5 percent of respondents, or about 160 scientists, were climate scientists. In fact, the “97 percent” statistic was drawn from an even smaller subset: the 79 respondents who were both self-reported climate scientists andhad “published more than 50% of their recent peer-reviewed papers on the subject of climate change.” These 79 scientists agreed that global temperatures had generally risen since 1800, and that human activity is a “significant contributing factor.”

(2)

A year later, William R. Love Anderegg, a student at Stanford University, used Google Scholar to determine that “97–98% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field surveyed here support the tenets of ACC [anthropogenic climate change] outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.” The sample size did not much improve on Zimmerman and Doran’s: Anderegg surveyed about 200 scientists.

And finally (3)

the most suspicious “97 percent” study was conducted in 2013 by Australian scientist John Cook — author of the 2011 book Climate Change Denial: Heads in the Sandand creator of the blog Skeptical Science (subtitle: “Getting skeptical about global warming skepticism.”). In an analysis of 12,000 abstracts, he found “a 97% consensus among papers taking a position on the cause of global warming in the peer-reviewed literature that humans are responsible.” “Among papers taking a position” is a significant qualifier: Only 34 percent of the papers Cook examined expressed any opinion about anthropogenic climate change at all. Since 33 percent appeared to endorse anthropogenic climate change, he divided 33 by 34 and — voilà — 97 percent!

When David Legates, a University of Delaware professor who formerly headed the university’s Center for Climatic Research, recreated Cook’s study, he found that “only 41 papers — 0.3 percent of all 11,944 abstracts or 1.0 percent of the 4,014 expressing an opinion, and not 97.1 percent,” endorsed what Cook claimed. Several scientists whose papers were included in Cook’s initial sample also protested that they had been misinterpreted. “Significant questions about anthropogenic influences on climate remain,” Legates concluded.

Now I’m not denying climate change, or anything like that.

I am sceptical of this climate emergency angle.

There are real questions about the quality of the models and their ability to predict effectively enough to drive policy to he extent they are being relied upon

climate emergency is pure politics.

Those studies that don’t fit the narrative seem to sink without a trace

And then there is the professor Phil Jones scandal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back