List Mgmt. 2019/20 Trade/Delist/Re-sign Predictions/Opinion (now with TRADE RADIO)

Remove this Banner Ad

We're going to need to replace at least 8 list spots this offseason.

Currently we have what 4 picks before 100 (after CEY compo)
So we need to obtain another 5 really so that we're not using the last picks in the draft.

Betts - likely 2020 and very late
Greenwood - may not get one at all the way things are tracking
Keath - 30+
Jenkins - may not get one at all the way things are tracking

So where are these extra picks coming from is the question?
We should be getting Frampton, for a late pick. We'll probably also be promoting Murphy (and possibly Butts). That reduces it to 6 draft picks required.

As you've noted, we already have 4 picks. We'll also get picks for Betts, Greenwood, Keath and Jenkins. That should leave us with sufficient picks to fill our list at the draft, without having to delve into the dark realms of picks in the 100+ region.

Not all elite players are from early first rounders though.
Depends on a number of factors, some players that have had the potential to become elite have probably not been coached properly, riddled with injuries, etc. Just the luck of the draw in some cases.
As I said..."The best chance of getting an elite player is with a pick inside the top-5. You might get one later in the draft, if you're lucky, but the best odds are definitely in the top-5 picks."

He doesnt strike me as a winger.
But that said I havent seen a lot of him.
Pretty sure he played mostly half forward/wing in the SANFL for Central Districts last year, at least in a lot of the footage I watched he did?

ad victoriam would know...

Mate, they've got a shedload more collateral to play with than us when it comes to their actual talent base....reckon that might have just a little bit to do do with their boldness.
Probably a fair call. Almost a nonchalant level of boldness from them at times, and you’re right it would certainly have a lot to do with what they’re list managers know they have in the bank.

But still, I do think we could be bolder in executing our moves! Fingers crossed for the next 6 days

Probably a fair call. Almost a nonchalant level of boldness from them at times, and you’re right it would certainly have a lot to do with what they’re list managers know they have in the bank.

But still, I do think we could be bolder in executing our moves! Fingers crossed for the next 6 days

When you keep replenishing your list with top 10 picks each year it takes a little pressure off.

They're benefitting from good drafting and good development.

Exactly not many clubs can do what they do trade out former 1st round picks and in some cases get higher 1st round picks back to keep replenishing their list with elite young talent, not to mention their Academy zone has been a goldmine for them.

When you keep replenishing your list with top 10 picks each year it takes a little pressure off.

Also cashing in on 24 year olds had wildly more currency then even 27 year olds.

Listening to trade week you would think Keath and Greenwood were pensioners at 27.

That line got real fine in the last 2 years

We're going to need to replace at least 8 list spots this offseason.

Currently we have what 4 picks before 100 (after CEY compo)
So we need to obtain another 5 really so that we're not using the last picks in the draft.

Betts - likely 2020 and very late
Greenwood - may not get one at all the way things are tracking
Keath - 30+
Jenkins - may not get one at all the way things are tracking

So where are these extra picks coming from is the question?
Talk GWS will trade for Sauce to prevent impact their Compo pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the ridiculous way the AFL set them up has helped just a tad with that as well.

I reckon the ridiculous way the AFL set them up has helped just a tad with that as well.

Yeh but Gold Coast got the same, and look where they are.

They made smart decisions with what they were given.

Remember though they are yet to win a flag so lets not get too upset about how they were set up.
Put it this way. This is their what 6th season? The crows won the grand final in their 6th or 7th season.

Yeh but Gold Coast got the same, and look where they are.

They made smart decisions with what they were given.
You sure about that, without checking I'm sure I've read plenty of articles where GWS got more generous concessions than the GCS? No doubt they've handled it far better, that's certainly indisputable.

As I said..."The best chance of getting an elite player is with a pick inside the top-5. You might get one later in the draft, if you're lucky, but the best odds are definitely in the top-5 picks."
Statistically you're correct. But you can't just apply that logic to every draft year. If the players after Rowell, Anderson and Green are all rated/projected similiarly then it makes sense to split 4 to double dip.

I’m not too fussed about Hately. I’ve mentioned him and Caldwell. People saying no chance are ignoring the circumstances now.

We (and Melbourne) have got GWS over a barrel. We can lock them out of the first round of this draft, even though they have pick 6 now.

They will take Green, that is a given, but if they want another top 4 player from this draft then they must come through us.

They can say no way are they giving up Hately/Caldwell/Insert any name here, all they like. That is great. But they can forget about Kemp, Flanders, or whoever else they want unless they kiss the ring. That is now in our control. Who is better, the guys they have, taken at 11 or 13 or this years guy at 4?

It really boils down to how big a cnuts we are willing to be. Have a look around the other clubs and how they behave. Maybe time to stop being nice guys.

We are not obligated to make some sort of deal with them and not bid on Green. We are completely within our rights to shut up shop on pick 4 and bid on Green. What are they going to do about it. They might not want to give up Hately or Caldwell. Fine. But say good bye to pick 6, which they have just made worth less than picks 12 and 18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back