Women's Footy AFLW Crows in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the club articles for our new players

It's really nice having such a settled and high-quality starting 21, which has allowed us to trim the fat and bring in so many new players.

With eight new draftees, you'd have to assume at least a few of them are going to make it! The only issue they'll have is trying to find a place in the 21.

Nice mix of youth and experience as well, a couple of players in their mid-20s, along with a bunch of teenagers as well.

I felt the same at the game, that it was the last time we would see her on the field.

But I have to remind myself that most females have literally waited their whole lives to not only play top level Aussie rules, but to play Aussie rules at any level.
After only 3 seasons (really only 2 in Erin's case as she missed most of last year with injury) I am sure most would do all they can to get back on the field regardless of age.
I am confident we will see Erin in 2020 :)
She's that good that if she's at 50% performance she's an average player!

To save you all from following the draft tomorrow, here's who we are picking

Montana McKinnon (South)
Jaimi Tabb (WWT)
Chelsea Biddell (West)
Madi Newman (West)
Najwa Allen (Norwood)
Courtney Gum (GWS)
Caitlin Gould (Glenelg)
Nicole Campbell (South)

Munyard will go to Victoria, with bulldogs picking her up if she slips through

Now that's a good strike rate

It's really nice having such a settled and high-quality starting 21, which has allowed us to trim the fat and bring in so many new players.

With eight new draftees, you'd have to assume at least a few of them are going to make it! The only issue they'll have is trying to find a place in the 21.

Nice mix of youth and experience as well, a couple of players in their mid-20s, along with a bunch of teenagers as well.

We should be aiming to have 3-4 debutants, I'd expect these 18 year olds to have much better skills than some of the older players given the junior pathways available to them.

That'd mean players like Mules, A. Foley, Forth, and Li would be at risk from our GF side, on top of that McCormick gone and maybe no return for Scheer or Phillips. Oh and Martin injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ruck dilemma will be interesting next year. Hopefully Metcalfe will be back, Jess Foley obviously gunned it up this year, and now we have two ruck-capable players (including our first pick) taken in this draft. All coached by a ruck, as well.

Will we aim to play two of them? Jess Foley was originally expected to be a key position player, will we move her after such a dominant season in the ruck?

I'm not UTD on this, so can someone tell me why the dogs have 4 of the top 10 picks, and Brisbane have 15-17, etc.

Was there a trade period I missed or is it about the new teams coming in?

I'm not UTD on this, so can someone tell me why the dogs have 4 of the top 10 picks, and Brisbane have 15-17, etc.

Was there a trade period I missed or is it about the new teams coming in?

To do with expansion clubs coming in and some trades - Brennan left the Dogs, and Brisbane got a lot of the GC picks because of their players moving to that team.

is there a fixture list yet? Or still arguing about the season length etc?

No fixture as yet until the CBA is signed off. Which also means there is no set date for start of pre-season either. Clubs are waiting on that and until then players are not allowed to train with the clubs.

Thanks. Our sport is becoming more like the US.
You mean run by an incompetent organsiation that advertised the AFLW draft as starting at 10.40 am EST and it actually got underway over half an hour later? Do not allow this lot near a chook raffle.

But I have to remind myself that most females have literally waited their whole lives to not only play top level Aussie rules, but to play Aussie rules at any level.
After only 3 seasons (really only 2 in Erin's case as she missed most of last year with injury) I am sure most would do all they can to get back on the field regardless of age.
I am confident we will see Erin in 2020 :)

Not sure if I have the wrong end of the stick with your comment but there has been a womens footy comp in SA for over 20 years.

Females haven't had to wait their entire lives to play footy.

It certainly has become more popular since the AFLW has started - my local club are demolishing the grandstand/club-rooms next month to build ones that have more change rooms to accommodate the large number of female teams we have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back