List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they forgot to include McAsey as his name isnt in the guide at all
Yeah you have no idea how much the graphic designer is going to love me saying we have to update the file after the amount of times it would not export and we missed data and had to go back over it again. It's annoying that some of that data just happened to be a first round pick profile. What we'll do it update that, and little things we've found and then send out an update which is the benefit of the email subscription style - so we won't have to send out individual updates for each person that spots things, it can be on the same page. Anything else you spot, just head to my draft board page in the next 24-48 hours or just message me and I'll add it to the list. The McAsey profile is the only "major" issue, but might as well fix up little minor ones that fresh eyes spot.

Yeah you have no idea how much the graphic designer is going to love me saying we have to update the file after the amount of times it would not export and we missed data and had to go back over it again. It's annoying that some of that data just happened to be a first round pick profile. What we'll do it update that, and little things we've found and then send out an update which is the benefit of the email subscription style - so we won't have to send out individual updates for each person that spots things, it can be on the same page. Anything else you spot, just head to my draft board page in the next 24-48 hours or just message me and I'll add it to the list. The McAsey profile is the only "major" issue, but might as well fix up little minor ones that fresh eyes spot.

All good bro. Honestly, its the best draft guide i’ve seen. You guys do an absolute brilliant job, us draft nerds would be nowhere without the work you do

Zero chance of happening, and its a risky strategy, but to get the two best talls in the draft could work. If they both come good its the sort of decision that could really set up the club long term

I'd have no problem at all picking McAsey and Worrell with our first 2 picks. It's not like we'd be over reaching to get them as our picks are pretty well bang on where they're likely to go in the draft. If we're not replenishing our tall stocks now and let them develop in the maggies we'll be in serious trouble long term...

Worrell and McAsey? This tactic depends largely on our odds of getting Lukosius. Only a few people in the world know that. Also depends a bit on how we saw Grundy develop this year. From the outside looking in he showed no capacity to win the ball but was never pantsed as a lockdown defender playing on far more mature bodies. I can't read the likely trajectory of Grundy based on 2019- he is still very raw and speculative.

Macca19 I was wondering at what point you would accept a bid for Mead, saw you did at pick 26.

Who would you have hoped for at 29 if you hadn't accepted?

Macca19 I was wondering at what point you would accept a bid for Mead, saw you did at pick 26.

Who would you have hoped for at 29 if you hadn't accepted?

Sharp and Taylor were the two I was hoping for at 29. Sharp went just before the bid. I thought Taylor would go to North or Adelaide and didn’t feel the other options left were better than Mead.

Very frustrating that Taylor is still there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does the picks/points system work when matching a father-son bid?

For example, if we go into the draft with 4 vacant spots on the main list and take 3 players before Mead using picks 12, 18 and 29, does that mean we have only one live pick to use to match Mead? That is we could only use pick 67 which is only worth 69 points? Or can we still bundle picks?

How does the picks/points system work when matching a father-son bid?

For example, if we go into the draft with 4 vacant spots on the main list and take 3 players before Mead using picks 12, 18 and 29, does that mean we have only one live pick to use to match Mead? That is we could only use pick 67 which is only worth 69 points? Or can we still bundle picks?
We can give up all our picks that have pts attached to them if need bee, plus go into deficit as well.

We can give up all our picks that have pts attached to them if need bee, plus go into deficit as well.

From what I understand we can't go into the draft with more picks than list spots available. So we may not be able to use all the stockpiled 4th round picks, or do I have it wrong? If it is the case, we should try and package some of the later picks with 29 to try and move into mid 20s prior to the draft. Or possibly use 29 trade back to a couple of mid 40 type picks, use one of them to match Mead. Still have a mid 40s pick to look at someone else. It all comes down to when we think the bid on Mead comes.

From what I understand we can't go into the draft with more picks than list spots available. So we may not be able to use all the stockpiled 4th round picks, or do I have it wrong? If it is the case, we should try and package some of the later picks with 29 to try and move into mid 20s prior to the draft. Or possibly use 29 trade back to a couple of mid 40 type picks, use one of them to match Mead. Still have a mid 40s pick to look at someone else. It all comes down to when we think the bid on Mead comes.

It's been explained before, but Lienert and Ladhams aren't upgraded until after all live picks are used.

So we have five live picks.

It's been explained before, but Lienert and Ladhams aren't upgraded until after all live picks are used.

So we have five live picks.

But if we draft 3 players before a bid for Mead does that mean we can only use two picks to match because those are the only live selections left?

In 2016 the AFL changed the bidding system to stop clubs from stockpiling late picks to match earlier bids. Activating so called hidden picks.

From The Age:

The AFL has ruled that the number of selections a club holds going into the national draft must match the number of vacant spots on their primary list.

But if we draft 3 players before a bid for Mead does that mean we can only use two picks to match because those are the only live selections left?

In 2016 the AFL changed the bidding system to stop clubs from stockpiling late picks to match earlier bids. Activating so called hidden picks.

From The Age:

The AFL has ruled that the number of selections a club holds going into the national draft must match the number of vacant spots on their primary list.

We lost Pick 71 (Sam Gray) when we picked up Buzza as a DFA. We've still got 12 (replacing Howard), 18 (replacing Frampton), 29 (replacing Trengove), 66 (replacing Johnson), 67 (replacing Broadbent) and 68 (replacing Ryder). 6 live picks.

Because Lienert and Ladhams are rookie upgrades, they don't count until after live bidding has finished. So we can use 12 to replace Howard, 18 to replace Frampton, 29 to replace Trengove and then use 66, 67 and 68 to pick up Mead (and it would cost us 200 points or so on next years second round pick) before Lienert and Ladhams get upgraded and take the last two list spots.

7 players went out. Buzza, 12, 18, 29, Mead, Lienert and Ladhams makes it 7 players coming in.

We lost Pick 71 (Sam Gray) when we picked up Buzza as a DFA. We've still got 12 (replacing Howard), 18 (replacing Frampton), 29 (replacing Trengove), 66 (replacing Johnson), 67 (replacing Broadbent) and 68 (replacing Ryder). 6 live picks.

Because Lienert and Ladhams are rookie upgrades, they don't count until after live bidding has finished. So we can use 12 to replace Howard, 18 to replace Frampton, 29 to replace Trengove and then use 66, 67 and 68 to pick up Mead (and it would cost us 200 points or so on next years second round pick) before Lienert and Ladhams get upgraded and take the last two list spots.

7 players went out. Buzza, 12, 18, 29, Mead, Lienert and Ladhams makes it 7 players coming in.
We started 2019 with a list of 40+4 rookies+2 Cat B rookies= 46
The official rookies were Ladhams, Lienert, Hewett and Cox.

I reckon Ladhams and Lienert officially were upgraded on 31st October with the first list lodgement not after the draft, and they get paid their new contract rate from 1st November

So we are 40 - Broadbent, Trengove, Johnson,Frampton, Howard, Ryder, Sam Gray = 33 + Ladhams Lienert upgraded + Buzza = 36
+ 4 rookies - Hewett - Lienert upgrade = 2 rookie spots to file
+ 2 Cat B rookies -

However the rules do allow the club to delay the upgrade.
2019 AFL rules

10.11 (a) A Club may apply to the AFL to transfer a Player or Players from its Rookie List onto its Primary List:

(i) on the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 6.1 by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33. In which case, the Club shall forfeit its last selection or, if more than one player, its last and each previous draft selection at the National AFL Draft Selection meeting.

(ii) in the case of a Category B Rookie, under Rule 26.1(b); or

(iii) at any time between the National Draft Selection Meeting and the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 7.1, if a Player’s name has been deleted from that Club’s List under Rule 7.6 by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33.

Given we have already signed Ladhams and Lienert to new contracts, Ladhams late in this season, and Lienert last year we gave him a 2 year deal, 2019 on the rookie list and get some cap exemption on his base salary up to $80,000 and 2020 he would be on the main list, I doubt we have the option to delay the upgrade until after the National Draft.

But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Great work. I missed your first one last year. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

From The Age:

The AFL love making announcements but don't put it in their rules.

We started 2019 with a list of 40+4 rookies+2 Cat B rookies= 46
The official rookies were Ladhams, Lienert, Hewett and Cox. Houston was upgraded after completion of 2018 draft period. I think you mean Ladhams.

I reckon Ladhams and Lienert officially were upgraded on 31st October with the first list lodgement not after the draft, and they get paid their new contract rate from 1st November

So we are 40 - Broadbent, Trengove, Johnson,Frampton, Howard, Ryder, Sam Gray = 33 + Ladhams Lienert upgraded + Buzza = 36
+ 4 rookies - Hewett - Lienert upgrade = 2 rookie spots to file
+ 2 Cat B rookies -

However the rules do allow the club to delay the upgrade.
2019 AFL rules

10.11 (a) A Club may apply to the AFL to transfer a Player or Players from its Rookie List onto its Primary List:

(i) on the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 6.1 by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33. In which case, the Club shall forfeit its last selection or, if more than one player, its last and each previous draft selection at the National AFL Draft Selection meeting.

(ii) in the case of a Category B Rookie, under Rule 26.1(b); or

(iii) at any time between the National Draft Selection Meeting and the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 7.1, if a Player’s name has been deleted from that Club’s List under Rule 7.6 by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33.

Given we have already signed Ladhams and Lienert to new contracts, Ladhams late in this season, and Lienert last year we gave him a 2 year deal, 2019 on the rookie list and get some cap exemption on his base salary up to $80,000 and 2020 he would be on the main list, I doubt we have the option to delay the upgrade until after the National Draft.

But I could be wrong.

Okay, I've just found something more interesting than that...from the 2019 NAB draft guide:

1572955840982.png

I thought this rule disappeared? This means Daisy Borlase's son is eligible to be picked up as a father son next year.

Okay, I've just found something more interesting than that...from the 2019 NAB draft guide:

View attachment 775073

I thought this rule disappeared? This means Daisy Borlase's son is eligible to be picked up as a father son next year.

Wasn't the issue with Ross and Bryce Gibbs that the AFL only counted senior games as 'games played' whereas the SANFL counted preseason games, so the games played tallies were inconsistent? Maybe it's a similar thing with Borlase. Plus he played until '98, so any games played after '96 definitely don't count.

View attachment 775073

Nope. SANFL totals includes preseason games as well as premiership points and finals games. Its why Peter Carey averages 25 games a year when he didn't play 3 finals every year for 18 or 19 years.

Borlase's adjusted total is less than 200 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back