Delisted Michael Hartley [drafted to Hawthorn in the preseason draft]

Remove this Banner Ad

If he can get a good run at it he will be more than a fill in. Good ally for Sicily.

Plenty of time for rival clubs to swoop. I doubt hawks will grab him till after the draft.
We will probably keep list spots open so we can maximise the picks we have to match for Maginness, then target DFA's after the draft

Interesting case. Was delisted by Collingwood years ago after a few injury interrupted seasons.

Drafted as a mature age player by Essendon in 2015 and treated as a normal contracted player up until this year, when lifetime free agency came in.

His previous delisting by Collingwood gave him unrestricted free agency every time he came out of contract after that, no matter which club he was at or how he got on their list.

He missed the free agency period however, was offered a contract by Essendon and turned it down seeking other opportunities, and was thus delisted.

Because he was offered a contract though he’s not eligible for “delisted free agency”, so now he’s just out of contract and bound to Essendon until the conclusion of the draft, and has to go in the pre-season draft as a result.

So his lifetime free agency seems limited after all, but if he’s picked up by Hawthorn and goes out of contract again in a couple of years, he will again be a lifetime free agent.

Confusing much?

Doubt it will matter but why did Essendon offer a contract to a player they almost never play with no trade value who found an opportunity elsewhere?

And will Hawthorn roll out of a backline of:
FB: Stratton Frawley Hartley
HB: Sicily McEvoy Frost

Would love to see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt it will matter but why did Essendon offer a contract to a player they almost never play with no trade value who found an opportunity elsewhere?

And will Hawthorn roll out of a backline of:
FB: Stratton Frawley Hartley
HB: Sicily McEvoy Frost

Would love to see it.
No chance of that happening, Hardwick would be one of our first picked every week.

Wouldn't be in the top 10 stupid things i have seen on Big Footy today.

Maybe the Top 10 facetious then.

Hardwick & Scrimshaw would be locks & McEvoy would only feature on the big lumber, assuming none of Frost or Hartley can come up to scratch as the second tall.

Great pick up for the hawks. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play 2nd ruck a lot of the time to let Lewis settle into full time afl and it allows big boy to stay free at hb (don't rate ceglar)

Great pick up for the hawks. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play 2nd ruck a lot of the time to let Lewis settle into full time afl and it allows big boy to stay free at hb (don't rate ceglar)

Frawley and Frost will be the 2 key defenders with McEvoy as the number one ruck. If Hartley is picked up by Hawthorn during the pre-season draft he will be depth in case of injury/suspension.

Find yourself a replay of the Essendon V Richmond VFL qualifying final where a half fit Nankervis absolutely tore Hartley to pieces in the ruck to overcome a 40 point lead. Harltey's lack of interest in competing in the ruck was comical. I don't think that was anything more than a short term experiment.

I think the Hawks know Frawley is just about done and Stratton might not have long left either, so they want a range of replacement options down back.

Find yourself a replay of the Essendon V Richmond VFL qualifying final where a half fit Nankervis absolutely tore Hartley to pieces in the ruck to overcome a 40 point lead. Harltey's lack of interest in competing in the ruck was comical. I don't think that was anything more than a short term experiment.

I think the Hawks know Frawley is just about done and Stratton might not have long left either, so they want a range of replacement options down back.
Disagree on Frawley, i think he had probably his best and most consistent season in his time at the Hawks. Still has a few of his classic Frawley moments with ball in hand but he has been really consistently solid for us. Obviously ageing but not showing any signs of slowing down yet.

Frawley is coming off his best season at Hawthorn. He is far from done.

Wow so you are saying a 1st ruck out rucked a backup ruck ? I'm stunned to be sitting here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back