Game Day 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Just dropping in to say IMO the Pies killed the draft with your choices, especially with the picks you had.

Rantall with a bit of work on his kicking is a Pendlebury replacement in a couple of years.

Bianco was a steal and a Sidebottom replacement.

And Ruscoe. I was really keen on him for the Eagles and was spewing when Collingwood grabbed him. Some WAFL watchers really rated him. He's a solid lad with good skills and some mongrel in him, does not like to lose. Also don't pigeon hole him in as a defender, played forward and midfield. The
WA U18's used him at CHB as they were short on true KP backs.

Three very good pick ups. :thumbsu:

Remember you can watch Rantall and Bianco highlights on the NAB Challang App under Highlights.

Watched RD21 for Bianco when Oakleigh Played Sandy.

Very impressed. Great User of Ball and Never Panics. Goes when Needed

You can argue best 22 etc this post isnt really about that though, its about list balance

FB:Brayden MaynardJordan RougheadJeremy Howe
HB:Jack CrispDarcy MooreTom Langdon
C:Steele SidebottomTaylor AdamsTom Phillips
HF:Jordan De GoeyBrody MihocekWill Hoskin- Elliott
FF:Jaidyn StephensonMason CoxJamie Elliott
R:Brodie GrundyScott PendleburyAdam Treloar
Int: Dayne BeamsChris MayneIsaac QuaynorCallum Brown
Em:Matt ScharenbergTravis VarcoeLevi GreenwoodJosh Thomas
Depth:
KPP:Max Lynch Darcy CameronMark KeaneWill KellyAnton TohillJack Madgen
Medium Defenders:Nathan MurphyFlynn ApplebyTrey RuscoeJohn Noble
Midfielders: Brayden SierRupert WillsTyler BrownJay RantallTrent BiancoJosh Daicos
Medium Forwards: Atu BosenavulagiTim Broomhead

But this is why I wasnt keen to use 2 of our 3 picks on talls. Also why I was fairly keen on Ned Cahill. I probably forgot a player or two but you can see we dont actually have that much of a roster imbalance for KPP v Mids. You can argue the quality but then again what quality Talls are you really getting with our picks

You can argue best 22 etc this post isnt really about that though, its about list balance

Int:Dayne BeamsChris MayneIsaac QuaynorCallum Brown
Depth:
KPP:Max LynchDarcy CameronMark KeaneWill KellyAnton TohillJack Madgen
Midfielders:Brayden SierRupert WillsTyler BrownJay RantallTrent BiancoJosh Daicos
Medium Forwards:Atu BosenavulagiTim Broomhead
But this is why I wasnt keen to use 2 of our 3 picks on talls. Also why I was fairly keen on Ned Cahill. I probably forgot a player or two but you can see we dont actually have that much of a roster imbalance for KPP v Mids. You can argue the quality but then again what quality Talls are you really getting with our picks
Plus Reid and Wilson.

Yeah it makes absolute sense to keep a 33yo coming off back to back knee recos to meet the exact circumstances of your incredibly obscure hypothetical. Especially when you can get a replacement in the mid-season draft anyway. IDK maybe Josh Walker who’s been better than Dunn in 18-19. Basically without those two we ain’t playing in a GF anyway.
Good, glad you're up to speed.

Based on what evidence? Or was that just a guess because he's done back-2-back ACL's?

I would have thought that was obvious......
He's not Shaun Burgoyne or Robert Harvey now is he?
Missing 2 consecutive years at his age via the same injury...the body is telling you something.

Even on this board thinks Reid is cooked at 30---if Reid is cooked then Dunn is charcoal burnt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds as if Jay Rantall may give Phillips a nudge in the time trial next week; not that we're putting high expectations on him already.
Assuming they ran in comparable conditions Phillips won’t get near him. Phillips has a few 2k times in the bag and he is 6:05-10 zone. That’s a world away from what Rantall has run as an 18yo 5:50.

15 sec over 2K is a huge difference and doubt Phillips will ever get near that time. If they are true differences Rantall will leave him on the 1st lap and never be seen again

Does anyone know how our marks inside 50 stats compared to opposition clubs.
Looking at 2019 for individual players average marks inside 50
per game we had 1 in the top 10 (Stevo), 2 in top 20 (Elliott), 5 in the top 30 ( DeG, Mihachek, Reid) and 6 in the top 40 (Cox).

Much better that 2018 and a strength for us. With Hoskin not even in that 6 we have a real mix of aerial strength inside 50.

Assuming they ran in comparable conditions Phillips won’t get near him. Phillips has a few 2k times in the bag and he is 6:05-10 zone. That’s a world away from what Rantall has run as an 18yo 5:50.

15 sec over 2K is a huge difference and doubt Phillips will ever get near that time. If they are true differences Rantall will leave him on the 1st lap and never be seen again
Special talent that’s for sure.

Then there is likely the AFL’s best ever runner type in, Blicavs with, I believe, 5.39 for his 2km is something entirely different. That’s some running.

With the star runner missing qualifying for the Olympics and not by not much time either.

for those interested, a whole different planet of runner has the world record:

hicham el guerrouj at 4.44.79

so mr Rantall stop slacking off.

Based on what evidence? Or was that just a guess because he's done back-2-back ACL's?

We cannot ignore that he did blow the second one almost straight away in an innocuous manner, after having one of the strongest grafts Julian Feller has ever seen put in.

He's now 33 and coming off back to back ACL's - it normally it takes a footballer maybe 18 months to start getting back to their best football after just one ACL so the clock is definitely against him now. He perhaps should be looking to slim down a bit to take the load off his legs and give himself the best chance of staying upright, but it doesn't look like that is happening either from the recent pics I've seen, as he's still a gorilla.

I'm not saying he's definitely cooked, but he is certainly pushing a barrel uphill at the moment in terms of making it back to productive AFL football.

Depth:
Midfielders:Brayden SierRupert WillsTyler BrownJay RantallTrent BiancoJosh Daicos

I reckon you should be categorising Lynch and Cameron as ruck depth, not KPP depth. Neither has shown much previously as a KPF so I'd be hesitant to label them as such. What that does highlight though is a lack of reliable / promising KPF depth, although hopefully Wilson comes on in that respect and Reid (gulp) is also there if he can stay fit and learn how to kick through the footy again (you left both of them out).

Depth:
Think you're under-rating Sier... and Murphy could easily play round 1, in place of Langdon

We might never know, but could it have been possible that we were on the other end of the line when Adelaide were on the phone at the point where they picked Worrell but they shut it down quickly after we weren't prepared to massively overpay?

That struck me as a possibility at the time and, while I might be imagining things a little here, watching that part of the draft again today made me think the same thing again...

Anyone else disappointed we have committed to talking Dunn as a rookie?

I feel for the bloke with his recent injures but he’s had his time. Would love to use the rookie draft to take a speculative kid. To me that’s what the rookie draft is for.

If we get desperate for a mature KPD during the year bring one in via mid season draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Totally agree. Why not rookie a kid and when we get one of our inevitable ACLs early next year, place whoever it is on the long term injury list and take Dunn in the mid season draft if they are that desperate to have him on the list. Buys a bit of time to see if hes going to even get back to playing anyway. I think Dunn is cooked personally. Rising 33yo coming off back to back ACLs. Madness

We might never know, but could it have been possible that we were on the other end of the line when Adelaide were on the phone at the point where they picked Worrell but they shut it down quickly after we weren't prepared to massively overpay?

That struck me as a possibility at the time and, while I might be imagining things a little here, watching that part of the draft again today made me think the same thing again...

That is a Possiblty. They wanted our Future 1st or wanted more 2nd Rounders and we just felt it would hurt us too much to do that Trade

Special talent that’s for sure.

Then there is likely the AFL’s best ever runner type in, Blicavs with, I believe, 5.39 for his 2km is something entirely different. That’s some running.

With the star runner missing qualifying for the Olympics and not by not much time either.

for those interested, a whole different planet of runner has the world record:

hicham el guerrouj at 4.44.79

so mr Rantall stop slacking off.
Yeah I think the real interest is where Rantall can take his time. He will improve as he matures and if Blicavs best is 5:39 that will be potentially on Rantalls radar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back