Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I am going to risk opening up a hornet's nest.

Australia and New Zealand have bid for the FIFA WWC in 2023. 12 cities(7 in Australia, 5 New Zealand) have been proposed and 13 stadiums. It will be hosted in July-August when FIFA wants it. The bid competitors are Japan, Brazil and Colombia.

The Aussie Cities are Sydney(SFS and Olympic), Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Newcastle and Launceston. There is a provision to have a minimum of 5 cities in each country, so I wouldn't be surprised if 2 Aussie ones are dropped if we get it. I would be shocked if York Park gets to host the 3 group matches we have been promised. That is the only AFL venue affected. Everything else uses rectangular stadiums.

Before someone starts, the bid document states

Indeed, the ACT government dropped out due to the length the stadium would be used for. That would be the same for Townsville and the Gold Coast Stadium, due to the NRL teams there.

I would say we are outsiders hoping that emotion of hosting it in Oceania for the first time is worth something. Japan is coming off a very successful Rugby World Cup and kills us with stadiums. Brazil/Colombia is in the US timezone. Indeed, I would say Australias part of this bid is a bit poor or rushed. Probably know FIFA don't really read it anyway. 45% of matches will roughly be held in NZ I read somewhere

bid doco

Consulting with other sports as to the intended use of stadiums makes a nice change. :thumbsu:

Would be good to get it, but we would have to be outsiders.

Its a drop in the bucket compared to the billions China is spending anyway most will be eaten up by corruption by officials.

The irony is if RL and RU keep recruiting Islanders their comps will be even more dominated by them in years to come and cause a massive decline in non Islander players in Australia.

Fertile ground for Twiggy the Polynesian players .. lets see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very average game and probably unfortunate it was over before the weekend started.
the ratings seemed fairly good though.

Was much more attractive on paper with Aus playing the official No 2 ranked team than when we were playing the teenagers of Pakistan.

It compares very unfavourably with Adelaide Oval’s 91,879 but very well against the Gabba’s 45,991 from that series.

Was much more attractive on paper with Aus playing the official No 2 ranked team than when we were playing the teenagers of Pakistan.

It compares very unfavourably with Adelaide Oval’s 91,879 but very well against the Gabba’s 45,991 from that series.
I would say it is very poor but I also understand why people wouldn’t have gone. The first two days were work days and then by the weekend the game had been decided pretty much. I’m not sure what the prices were but they are usury fairly steep so it makes it an easy decision for some to stay at home rather then cough up money to sit in 40 degree heat all afternoon when they already know the result

Perth test ended up totalling 65,540 over 4 days.

Previous test record in Perth against NZ was just 46,800.

I had to laugh at the numerous tweets I read that said they could have fit the crowd into the WACA so they should move tests back there.

They wouldn't have got half that number at the WACA.

The Australian J. Stensholt 14.12.19

The 3 Directors of Western United A League team, J. Sourasis, J. Tripodi & L. Shevki are Essendon Grammar(PEGS) Old Boys. Shevki is also a Director of Western Bulldogs. Scot Pendlebury & Jack Ziebell also have some level of investment in WU.
They have raised $30,000,000-$18,000,000 went to FFA for Licence Fee, & WU will probably have a net loss of $5,000,000 in 2019/20.
No details given re terms for the parcel of land Wyndham Council gave WU for the stadium in Tarneit.

There have been rumours of cash flow problems, and that Chinese money or even Middle Eastern money is ultimately behind the project.
Appears no formal planning application or approval yet for the stadium- but some site analysis has been completed, might start mid 2020.

Also appears they are seeking further funds to proceed with:-
. the stadium build
. and/or residential/commercial development on the "cow paddocks" (successful development is required to fund the stadium).
Do they require a minimum no. of pre-sales before both developments start-? If so, this could affect the start of both projects.

(then go to 14.12 tweet: "Soccer Fans Plan Field Of Dreams")
EDIT: NO paywall in above tweet)

Last edited:
The Australian J. Stensholt 14.12.19

The 3 Directors of Western United A League team, L. Sorasis, J. Tripodi & L. Shevki are Essendon Grammar(PEGS) Old Boys. Shevki is also a Director of Western Bulldogs. Scot Pendlebury & Jack Ziebel also have some level of investment in WU.
They have raised $30,000,000-$18,000,000 went to FFA for Licence Fee, & WU will probably have a net loss of $5,000,000 in 2019/20.
No details given re the parcel of land Wyndham Council gave WU for the stadium in Tarneit.

There have been rumours of cash flow problems, and that Chinese money or even Middle Eastern money is ultimately behind the project.
Appears no formal planning application or approval yet for the stadium- but some site analysis has been completed- might start mid 2020.
Also appears they are seeking further funds to proceed with the stadium build; and/or residential/commercial development on the "cow paddocks", which will fund the stadium.

(then go to 14.12 tweet: "Soccer Fans Plan Field Of Dreams")

The article is behind a paywall but there is a post of the article in the Western United thread on the Football Australia board.

I had to laugh at the numerous tweets I read that said they could have fit the crowd into the WACA so they should move tests back there.

They wouldn't have got half that number at the WACA.

I've seen a fuss being made about this test getting less than the last test at the WACA did, although people making that comparison seldom point out that that was an Ashes test. The next Ashes test in Perth should get 50k on Day 1 alone.

The article is behind a paywall but there is a post of the article in the Western United thread on the Football Australia board.

So they've raised $30 million which will cover the licence fee and approximately 2 years worth of losses. What then? Who's funding the losses after that? Where's the money coming from for this stadium?

I know exactly where Tarneit is - and this idea that they're going to build a successful hotel and entertainment complex in the next 10 years is fairytale stuff. Where's the demand for a hotel? Maybe in 20 years if it's all built up - but that's a lot of losses to fund waiting for the thing to be successful.

I just can't see how anyone with an IQ over 30 would put money in and genuinely think there's a prospect of return.

Interestingly neither Scott Pendlebury or Jack Ziebell have mentioned the club once in their twitter feed (at least I couldn't find any mention). Strange behaviour for 2 people with skin in the game. Why not put out a bit of free advertising if their money is actually on the line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back