Rate the best performing clubs of the AFL era (1990-). Looking beyond number of premierships and at overall performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Premierships are the ultimate measure.

Hawthorn>West Coast>Geelong>Brisbane.

Meteoric Rise , West Coast had achieved more in the first 5 years of the competition than Richmond has achieved to this day

Unless you want to seriously debate who is the greatest from either Hawthorn, West Coast or Geelong can you please desist from your jealous ranting

Thankyou kindly

Don't bother, the rise is so self absorbed it's not funny. Finally richmond has come to relevance and the gloating from some of their fans is like we've never ever seen before. It's like this team as good as it is, is the be all and end all of all time which we all know including common sense richmond fans is not true.

I don't have much say in the conversation as my club has been mediocre at best, but one thing I can hang my hat on is our fan base were much more gracious winners when we won it than some of the petulant mob from the richmond fan base.

Don't bother, the rise is so self absorbed it's not funny. Finally richmond has come to relevance and the gloating from some of their fans is like we've never ever seen before. It's like this team as good as it is, is the be all and end all of all time which we all know including common sense richmond fans is not true.

I don't have much say in the conversation as my club has been mediocre at best, but one thing I can hang my hat on is our fan base were much more gracious winners when we won it than some of the petulant mob from the richmond fan base.
Yep I was there in 2018. Collingwood fans were fantastic hosts all week in Melbourne and a great bunch to be around on gf day. Even after the final siren sounded

Yep I was there in 2018. Collingwood fans were fantastic hosts all week in Melbourne and a great bunch to be around on gf day. Even after the final siren sounded

We're used to handing flags to other clubs,the reason why Pies fans are so gracious is because we're used to handing it over. If we keep contending at some point we'll have to keep it, geez you'd hate to be the club that loses the flag to Collingwood, and it will happen sooner or later - inevitable.

Last edited:
So let me get this right....being lectured by a Collingwood supporter and a West Coast Eagles supporter about being a gracious football supporter. 😂😂😂

If it wasn’t for the rather inconvenient existence of Adelaide and Carlton you would be the two most despicable clubs in the universe. Any coincidence that during 2018 & 2019 both the 2018 Grand Finalists had a player rubbed for a drug infraction?

Let’s face it, this thread is, was and will always be about Richmond. It was started and carried on as some sort of fake nostalgia exercise to try to escape the current reality of Tiger supremacy.

And yes, 90210fanboi, the Western Australian state side had a decent start to the AFL era, wining 2 flags in the first 5 seasons. The same amount as we have won in the last 27 months, with half a team of players nobody else wanted, especially you d1ckheads. You blokes didn’t want Sydney. You didn’t want Marlion. You didn’t want Broad. You didn’t even want Rance, with two picks. You preferred Mastern and Ebert. You didn’t want Baker with about 20 separate picks. You didn’t want Bolton. You didn’t want Kamdyn. So recruiting premiership players from WA is easy peasy for us these days, we just check who you blokes don’t want and say thank you very much son, come and play in some premierships at Tiger Heaven.

It is a shame for you that you lowered your vile colours on 3 occasions at the big dance, but you need to own it. That is something we don’t ever do. It is this that marks out the great clubs from the also rans. Your 2015 GF performance, god almighty, you had players taking short steps and all sorts.

So with great fervour you take part in this anti-Richmond let’s avoid the frightening current reality at all costs thread while pretending we are doing something else and then you have the pure unmitigated gall to come on here lecturing me about desisting from my very well balanced, popular and insightful contributions to this thread. Like, wtf?

But my favourite bit is when you pretend we are living on some alter-earth planet where bitter and twisted Collingwood supporters are lovely alter human beings, immediately after losing a Grand Final to no less vile club than yourselves in the dying minutes after leading all day and believing they were robbed by a shocking umpiring call to concede the losing goal.

Right, ok, we all believe you 90210mfg. 😳😳😳

St Kilda's 09 side would've destroyed any of Hawthorns Grand Finals sides. Poll is for best performing clubs St Killda were also a force throughout the 90s

"A force throughout the 90s" = making the finals 4/10 seasons, and having a 50% winning record (113-2-111)? Ok...

So let me get this right....being lectured by a Collingwood supporter and a West Coast Eagles supporter about being a gracious football supporter. 😂😂😂

If it wasn’t for the rather inconvenient existence of Adelaide and Carlton you would be the two most despicable clubs in the universe. Any coincidence that during 2018 & 2019 both the 2018 Grand Finalists had a player rubbed for a drug infraction?

Let’s face it, this thread is, was and will always be about Richmond. It was started and carried on as some sort of fake nostalgia exercise to try to escape the current reality of Tiger supremacy.

And yes, 90210fanboi, the Western Australian state side had a decent start to the AFL era, wining 2 flags in the first 5 seasons. The same amount as we have won in the last 27 months, with half a team of players nobody else wanted, especially you d1ckheads. You blokes didn’t want Sydney. You didn’t want Marlion. You didn’t want Broad. You didn’t even want Rance, with two picks. You preferred Mastern and Ebert. You didn’t want Baker with about 20 separate picks. You didn’t want Bolton. You didn’t want Kamdyn. So recruiting premiership players from WA is easy peasy for us these days, we just check who you blokes don’t want and say thank you very much son, come and play in some premierships at Tiger Heaven.

It is a shame for you that you lowered your vile colours on 3 occasions at the big dance, but you need to own it. That is something we don’t ever do. It is this that marks out the great clubs from the also rans. Your 2015 GF performance, god almighty, you had players taking short steps and all sorts.

So with great fervour you take part in this anti-Richmond let’s avoid the frightening current reality at all costs thread while pretending we are doing something else and then you have the pure unmitigated gall to come on here lecturing me about desisting from my very well balanced, popular and insightful contributions to this thread. Like, wtf?

But my favourite bit is when you pretend we are living on some alter-earth planet where bitter and twisted Collingwood supporters are lovely alter human beings, immediately after losing a Grand Final to no less vile club than yourselves in the dying minutes after leading all day and believing they were robbed by a shocking umpiring call to concede the losing goal.

West Coast 1990 - 94 > Richmond’s entire AFL history

West Coast 1990 - 94 > Richmond’s entire AFL history

LOL. Even in that period you lost a Grand Final. Something we just don’t do. In fact you are the only team ever to lose a Grand Final at VFL Park, and nobody else will be able to match your disgrace in achieving that, ever. And you lost to a Hawthorn team with an average age of roughly 50. It would be like an actor getting booed off the stage at some back alley speakeasy and then claiming to be the greatest since Olivier. Nobody is going to take you seriously. And that is beside the fact you are not even a club, you are a soul-less franchise, whose only achievements are tainted by the strongest suspicion to ever be associated with any team in the AFL. You have never won a flag except where players in your team are now well known to have been involved in illicit drugs and from there, well you work it out. So the answer to this thread, whatever it is, is definitely not West Coast Eagles. Nobody likes you and nobody rates you and when you have won, you have basically been like a masculine creature winning in a women’s competition. People are forced to be nice about it but in reality we are horrified and just would rather you didn’t exist.

Sorry if this is horrible dictu, to coin a latin phrase. Someone had to say it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL. Even in that period you lost a Grand Final. Something we just don’t do. In fact you are the only team ever to lose a Grand Final at VFL Park, and nobody else will be able to match your disgrace in achieving that, ever. And you lost to a Hawthorn team with an average age of roughly 50. It would be like an actor getting booed off the stage at some back alley speakeasy and then claiming to be the greatest since Olivier. Nobody is going to take you seriously. And that is beside the fact you are not even a club, you are a soul-less franchise, whose only achievements are tainted by the strongest suspicion to ever be associated with any team in the AFL. You have never won a flag except where players in your team are now well known to have been involved in illicit drugs and from there, well you work it out. So the answer to this thread, whatever it is, is definitely not West Coast Eagles. Nobody likes you and nobody rates you and when you have won, you have basically been like a masculine creature winning in a women’s competition. People are forced to be nice about it but in reality we are horrified and just would rather you didn’t exist.

the 1991 has the too old too slow too good aura but they were significantly younger than the 13-15 team

West Coast = 48.5
Hawthorn = 48
Geelong = 43.5
Sydney = 35
Collingwood = 31.5
Essendon = 31.5
Brisbane Lions = 27.5
Adelaide = 25.5
North Melbourne = 25
Richmond = 19
Carlton = 17.5
Port Adelaide = 17
Western Bulldogs = 14
St Kilda = 13.5
Melbourne = 7
Fremantle = 6.5
GWS = 4
Gold Coast = 0
Yeah you used Capriati points system.

Now Use my system which adds points for finals wins.....

Premiership : 5 points
Grand final Appearence: 2 points
Minor Premiership: 2 points
Finals win: 1 point
Finals appearence: 0.5 points

Did I wander into bay 13 by mistake?

So not just jealousy, but a substantial amount of fear and hatred too. As a West Coast supporter I’m flattered, thankyou

This guy’s totally lost the plot, lol.

Having the 2 easiest finals draws and grand final opponents since Port vs Geelong has gone to some Richmond supporter’s heads.

Come back when you actually beat a team of note in a finals series.

For now, I agree....

But From 2017-19, the tigers have been good. Lets see how richmond goes in 2020 and 2021 as well
Finally done something after 30 years in the comp. They’re basically like a toddler who’s just managed to take his first steps while the rest of us have been walking around for years. We all clap and think it’s very cute although they still need daddy’s hand to help them up.

They’re miles off being in this conversation

Finally done something after 30 years in the comp. They’re basically like a toddler who’s just managed to take his first steps while the rest of us have been walking around for years. We all clap and think it’s very cute although they still need daddy’s hand to help them up.

They’re miles off being in this conversation
Very Harsh to say that. I am not denying that despite the massive supporter base they have got, From 1983-2012, they have been underachieving due to being Poorly run and some bad luck.

But we are Talking about the AFL era from 1990 onwards because that is the topic.

I have posted this before on this thread. From 1990-2012, the only thing they had was those 2 prelims in 1995 and 2001. Its not much but its better than nothing.

I have said they finish 9th in 1994, 1996, 2000, 2006 and 2008. I have said, had they finished 8th in each of those 5 times they finished 9th, it would a bit better in the history books. It might not mean much, but they would of had a semi decent finals run in 1994-6 and 2000-2001. Then finals in 2006 and 2008.

Intead of a 2 wins and 4 loss finals record from 1990-2012, It would of been 2 wins and 9 losses.

Fortunately for them the tigers got their stuff together and won a couple of flags in 3 years. I see them being contenders for at least 2 more years.

Very Harsh to say that. I am not denying that despite the massive supporter base they have got, From 1983-2012, they have been underachieving due to being Poorly run and some bad luck.

But we are Talking about the AFL era from 1990 onwards because that is the topic.

I have posted this before on this thread. From 1990-2012, the only thing they had was those 2 prelims in 1995 and 2001. Its not much but its better than nothing.

I have said they finish 9th in 1994, 1996, 2000, 2006 and 2008. I have said, had they finished 8th in each of those 5 times they finished 9th, it would a bit better in the history books. It might not mean much, but they would of had a semi decent finals run in 1994-6 and 2000-2001. Then finals in 2006 and 2008.

Intead of a 2 wins and 4 loss finals record from 1990-2012, It would of been 2 wins and 9 losses.

Fortunately for them the tigers got their stuff together and won a couple of flags in 3 years. I see them being contenders for at least 2 more years.
Harsh, but fair

I’m aware of their history in this comp and I agree with most reasonable posters that their success ranks them around ninth overall.
Richmond don’t belong anywhere near this thread although it is enjoyable watching them try to insert themselves in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back