Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone see the story Freo put up from training this morning of Darcy v Lobb? I’m amazed at how trim Darcy has become, almost indistinguishable (again) from last preseason when he seemed to have lost a lot of mass. I’m hoping his new physique will allow him to cover more ground, run out more games and hopefully get through a full season.

He’s looking like a rake.

I agree and have never subscribed to that theory - I think in 2015 we did an enormous amount of running preseason and suffered for it. Since then the running loads look pretty typical for an AFL club to me, not that I've watched too many other clubs train.
I would be curious to compare those preseason running loads because they should be reflected in actual games if there is a significant difference between clubs. That is club intel, which won’t be available of course.

The difference I am gleaning from training reports is that perhaps this preseason they are getting more of the running in during drills as opposed to laps???

Did anyone see the story Freo put up from training this morning of Darcy v Lobb? I’m amazed at how trim Darcy has become, almost indistinguishable (again) from last preseason when he seemed to have lost a lot of mass. I’m hoping his new physique will allow him to cover more ground, run out more games and hopefully get through a full season.

Seems to have helped his leap from training reports.

I would be curious to compare those preseason running loads because they should be reflected in actual games if there is a significant difference between clubs. That is club intel, which won’t be available of course.

The difference I am gleaning from training reports is that perhaps this preseason they are getting more of the running in during drills as opposed to laps???
I haven't been to as many sessions this year as usual, but from what I have seen there doesn't appear to be a huge difference. I think maybe they started the ball work earlier this year - previously prior to Christmas was more pure running and after Christmas more simulations, but to me it all looks like bloody hard work. Certainly a few of the boys seem to have indicated that it's more skills / ball focused and they would be the ones who know!

I noticed it during his press conference the other day. His face is significantly slimmer.

Oh, we'll miss Brad and Daggaz. We'll miss Brad finding new ways to avoid contact and we'll miss Daggaz giving the on the full record a ******* good shake.

I noticed Brad came 7th in the Sainters 3K time trial and I noticed in the figures supplied above that a supposedly slow side in Geelong had dudes clocked at way higher speeds than our alleged speedsters.

Geelong are perceived to be slow because they move the ball slowly. This is all about possession and use.

We are doing repeat drills around getting the ball to our better users - especially Trigger Young - and that makes me happy. Turn the bloke into the best-guarded quarterback in history and he will repeatedly hit targets you didn't even realise were targets.

I wold like to see oppo teams terrified of the ball going anywhere near a halfbackline that consists of stenching interceptors who can either run off and deliver (Wilson and Hill), stand and deliver (Ryan) or just fu**en take to school (Young).

With a fit Moose and Logue capable of taking off on scintillating dashes of their own, confident Hammer is back to nullify, our back half could very well take us 2 or 3 spots up the ladder on its own.

Obviously we need more, but all successful Freo teams had a settled, skillful and balanced back 6 (or 7).
I love everything about this post.

I haven't been to as many sessions this year as usual, but from what I have seen there doesn't appear to be a huge difference. I think maybe they started the ball work earlier this year - previously prior to Christmas was more pure running and after Christmas more simulations, but to me it all looks like bloody hard work. Certainly a few of the boys seem to have indicated that it's more skills / ball focused and they would be the ones who know!
In terms of running it has always been clear that the players are expected to make gains during their training breaks, especially hitting them with the 2kms on day 1 after the New Year break.

If we can score more goals through set shots, let's say 10 goals a game are through set shots extras above our existing and transferring the scrappy goals from general play, that's going to amount to five clock time minutes - which if we are in a messy stoppage game could be 7:30 of running taken out of a game.

The point I'm getting at is if we aren't trying to score fast to catch up and take a mark inside fifty - go back and take your sweet time, then kick the goal.

Exactly. Kick a goal and you get yourself a break. That has to assist with fatigue levels.

Last edited:
Not really. Both sides get a break. Fatigue levels are only an issue if there is an imbalance. (Unless you mean the goal kicker has a spell on the bench?).
Our players will get a break in every game they play like that, which is the goal.

Knock off 10% of the running per game and see if it means we have five or six more games out of our stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Brad Hill finished 7th in St Kilda Time trial over 3 km

The correlation of running levels will more closely correlate to uncontested marks and time in possession rather than time in attack vs defense

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sturt trained fully but wasn't as Impressive as I'd hoped. A lot of players didn't train, the usual plus Crowden, Switta, Frederick, Serong, Meek, Ryan, Butters, McCarthy and maybe more.

Based on those at training our midfield includes: Fyfe, Brayshaw, Cerra, Bewley, Acres, Blakely, Tucker; plus obviously Mundy etc..

Serong's kicking seems a real strength from what I've seen which is surprising. You can pencil Young in for round 1. Bewley and Tucker were hitting targets regularly. Logue is a beast and knows it, I like Hughes too.

Will post more if I think of it.

Popped down for 30mins while enjoying a coffee from Mooba on my break.

I noticed today Huge Dix is starting to fill into his big frame and Cox seems to be covering the ground a lot better than I’ve seen previously

Izzy is one of those guys that has the ball on a string. If he can learn from Henry and develop his core and general strength he could be anything. Just seems to love a footy in his hand and seems a genuinely good kid

Liam is as professional as I’ve seen. Almost vomiting in rehab he was working so hard. Did notice his CK jocks hanging perfectly out the top of his shorts. I get the feeling he wants people to notice them!

Serong needs a bit of muscle tone and obviously hasn’t done a major pre season before. Massive tree trunk legs hold him in good stead for the middle and a good kick. I love when you get a low pick that was a gun without being incredibly fit like the VM boys.

Griff is a beast. If his body holds up we will all be talking about his little side step followed by a charge down the guts by mid season. His hands and disposal are very clean. I’m calling break out this year.

Hammer is in good nick and touch. Having Wilson, Hill, Logue, Ryan, Trigger and Moose is exciting as I’ve seen for a backline

Trigger is a lock round one particularly with Wilson still out. There is literally no difference between his left and right. The boys look impressed by him as well.

Carters kicking looks improved although it was static kicking so you can’t read too much into it. He is also wearing a lot less tape and looks a lot stronger than last year.

Looking at Roger Hayden he had a few to many frothys and too much Xmas pudding over Xmas. But hey didn’t we all!

Hughes seems to have lost some size. Not sure if it was what he was wearing but he didn’t look as big. Now that I think of it he was standing next to Logue which explains it (BEAST!!)

Was a little underwhelmed by Matera’s conditioning but nothing new there.

Ryan was on a modified program but no taping so should be good to go. He also told Sandi after the weekend gone he will be going for his skippers. Can confirm both were in Thompson’s bay over the weekend.

Saw Sturt from a distance. Starting to look like an AFL player. Hit a pretty tricky kick under pressure at one stage. He intrigues me rather than excites at the moment. I think that is more so because I can’t see where he fits. Could literally play absolutely anywhere (except ruck). I look forward to his debut.

Hodor is like the person on a Jenny Craig ad. has trimmed down heaps but the physique still isn’t as impressive as the change in body. He hit a nice 45m pass which was pleasing particularly considering the kicking ability of our previous rucks.

If I think of anything else I will post later.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Exactly. Kick a goal and you get yourself a break. That has to assist with fatigue levels.
I understand the logic here and never neglect to tell my youngsters to take their full 30, but everyone gets a rest when a set shot is being taken.

(Except Andrew Shipp, who once busted out the worm while on the mark.)

Efficiency is key. Where I start to get a glimmer of hope is that we only need to keep most of the positives of Lyonball - contested possession above everything else; groundball gets I reckon are the most important - and ADD some composure/skill and we have improved.

Move it in quickly or move it in smart.

Freo's greatest mistake over the last quarter of a century is over-compensating in correction. We ditch flakey for dour, we ditch dour for exciting, we ditch exciting for effort. If Longy is just pushing the dial carefully toward attack, not losing the grunt and effort side of things, we will get better.

The leading patterns of our forwards are where I'd start. They are headless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back