Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Ebert is a lock in the forwardline. Play some youth. Robbie also misses a lot of shots at goal- so perhaps he could play SGrays highest half forward role like Gablett. Opening a spot for a small forward that’s not Ebert or A.Young

Good kicking should be prioritised in defence and midfield as there the ones kicking into our forwardline

So Watts over Westhoff in the last defender spot for me.

still not liking the Wines/Boak/Rockliff/SPP/Drew all in the midfield - kicking/leg speed - again. Perhaps only 2 Spots for these guys max. Rozee, Houston might help this, maybe Burton might push into midfield too - really rate his kicking.

agree with your ideas

we have loads of issues to address in our midfield, forward line and defence. we aren't too far off a decent side but the deck chair shuffling of our squad to make a side, won't deliver a side capable of a premiership tilt and I'm not convinced even a top 8 finish.

That's why development is the key to 2020.

Gray Dixon Rozee
Ebert Marshall Houston
Amon Wines Duursma
Hartlett Clurey Burton
Byrne Jones Jonas Watts

Lycett Powell Pepper Boak

int . Westhoff , Ladhams , Bergman, Butters

It’s hard to imagine Ebert being a better fit for the forward line than Williams if Williams is fit. Ebert isn’t a forward but can compete there if we need him, not against him playing there but Williams is an absolute natural.

Williams is 18 and has exactly 0 games of AFL football to his name. It's very, very easy to imagine Ebert being a better fit for the forward line than him.

Williams is 18 and has exactly 0 games of AFL football to his name. It's very, very easy to imagine Ebert being a better fit for the forward line than him.

unless you’ve watched Williams play champs, nab and exhibition games for 2 years and are in a position to judge his forward play for yourself, and know that Ebert is a midfielder forced out of that role into another who will compete, but isn’t a natural forward.

williams is a better fit, if you’re picking a forward line. It’s just a matter of when he is ready and how good he can be.

Last edited:
unless you’ve watched Williams play champs, nab and exhibition games for 2 years and are in a position to judge his forward play for yourself, and know that Ebert is a midfielder forced out of that role into another who will compete, but isn’t a natural forward.

Ebert has played 246 games at AFL level including extended stints as a forward for both clubs he's played at. He's kicked 129 goals. He's demonstrated consistency as an AFL player, is a strong mark overhead, high end running capacity and is one of the best set shots in the team.

Williams is 18 and played well against fellow 17-18 year olds.

It's not even comparable. There could be a spot for Williams, he's in that group competing for Sam Gray's spot. But it won't be at the expense of Ebert.

Ebert has played 246 games at AFL level including extended stints as a forward for both clubs he's played at. He's kicked 129 goals. He's demonstrated consistency as an AFL player, is a strong mark overhead, high end running capacity and is one of the best set shots in the team.

Williams is 18 and played well against fellow 17-18 year olds.

It's not even comparable. There could be a spot for Williams, he's in that group competing for Sam Gray's spot. But it won't be at the expense of Ebert.

i was speaking in terms of fit,

you’re advocating for Ebert on basis on being an incumbent.

Eberts spot in the forward line should in no way be a given. As I said he’s a midfielder shuffled forward because he no longer has a place in the midfield. Forward because we lacked any genuine forwards.

as soon as a genuine forward player shows they are ready they should be picked over Ebert every day of the week. Ebert did okay in the role last year. Just okay. I don’t want to settle for “ok” from one of our most senior players in an area that’s been our biggest

trying to put square pegs in round holes and insisting they work hardery has been a Hinkley staple and it’s been the worst feature of port under his tenure.

what’s the point of going after natural skilled forwards in the draft, and continuing to play people who aren’t naturals when it’s been complete and utterly obvious consensus for years here that our forward line has been both very poor, and structured incorrectly with square pegs in round holes.

I mean look at our game day threads. Every second post that isn’t about Hinkley is commenting about what I’ve said about our forward line.

I’ve put forth my opinion on Williams being a much better fit in the forward line, and as I explained I did it based off evidence I’ve seen with my own eyes not reports I’ve read or a hunch.

it’s entirely possible that Williams, or another genuine forward doesn’t show they are ready for whatever reason and Ebert might be our short term best option in that case, but he should not be viewed as the best option outright if we are serious about this team going anywhere.

Eberts spot in the forward line should in no way be a given. As I said he’s a midfielder shuffled forward because he no longer has a place in the midfield. Forward because we lacked any genuine forwards.

as soon as a genuine forward player shows they are ready they should be picked over Ebert every day of the week. Ebert did okay in the role last year. Just okay. I don’t want to settle for “ok” from one of our most senior players in an area that’s been our biggest

trying to put square pegs in round holes and insisting they work hardery has been a Hinkley staple and it’s been the worst feature of port under his tenure.

what’s the point of going after natural skilled forwards in the draft, and continuing to play people who aren’t naturals when it’s been complete and utterly obvious consensus for years here that our forward line has been both very poor, and structured incorrectly with square pegs in round holes.

I mean look at our game day threads. Every second post that isn’t about Hinkley is commenting about what I’ve said about our forward line.

I’ve put forth my opinion on Williams being a much better fit in the forward line, and as I explained I did it based off evidence I’ve seen with my own eyes not reports I’ve read or a hunch.

it’s entirely possible that Williams, or another genuine forward doesn’t show they are ready for whatever reason and Ebert might be our short term best option in that case, but he should not be viewed as the best option outright if we are serious about this team going anywhere.
I like this Post!
Geez. Some of us have forgotten how good Ebo was b4 injury in the forward line.
If his training today was anything to go by, he’ll line up in the f50 rd1.
I dont think anyone has forgotten how good Ebo is. And yes, if he is fit & playing the position well, go for it. The point being though, is that no positions in the team should just be a "given" based on past performance!

I love the guy as much as I love Boak ... But playing them correctly is the key!

Geez. Some of us have forgotten how good Ebo was b4 injury in the forward line.
If his training today was anything to go by, he’ll line up in the f50 rd1.

He kicked 13 goals in half a season as a pure forward who played as deep as any forward we’ve played under Hinkley. 4 goal assists. He went goalless in almost half his games.

he was far from poor and quite serviceable with his effort but if eberts effort last year as a forward is some sort of benchmark I’m flabbergasted.

if we’re serious about fixing our forward woes we’re going to pick real forwards, not guys who put in a great effort.

I probably would have picked Ebert 22 times last year based off the cattle we had.

if we’re giving Ebert 22 games as a forward next year I would be concerned.

This has to be a joke right? Ebert was our best forward up until he got concussed - he kicked 2+ goals in 4/6 games and had 20+ possessions in 4/6 games. If Ebert is fit like he was the start of last year he's a walk up start in our forward line, and ahead of guys like Butters and Marshall based on most recent form.

Judging Ebo based on his shitty post concussion form is ridiculous, especially when saying "if Williams is fit". Ebert isn't one dimensional either and has the ability and fitness to get up the ground and apply pressure - just look at his tackle numbers, 4-7 every game playing as a deep forward. This is especially important when you consider a lack of pressure and tackling is the biggest weakness of Williams - afl central state "when forward, [Williams] averages about one [tackle] per game". That's just not AFL standard.

I dont think Williams is even in the conversation this year personally, as I've seen no evidence to suggest his running is good enough to be at AFL level and think that Bergman, Mead and Georgiades will all debut before him because of that. Realistically its these guys that are putting pressure on Ebert, not an X factor wildcard type player who cant be relied on to do the basics like pressure and tackle.

If Ebo loses his spot in the team this year it'll be because he's either not fit, or all of Butters, Marshall and Bergman/Georgiades have improved past him (which is possible given their ages) but I cant see it being Williams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has to be a joke right? Ebert was our best forward up until he got concussed - he kicked 2+ goals in 4/6 games and had 20+ possessions in 4/6 games. If Ebert is fit like he was the start of last year he's a walk up start in our forward line, and ahead of guys like Butters and Marshall based on most recent form.

Judging Ebo based on his shitty post concussion form is ridiculous, especially when saying "if Williams is fit". Ebert isn't one dimensional either and has the ability and fitness to get up the ground and apply pressure - just look at his tackle numbers, 4-7 every game playing as a deep forward. This is especially important when you consider a lack of pressure and tackling is the biggest weakness of Williams - afl central state "when forward, [Williams] averages about one [tackle] per game". That's just not AFL standard.

I dont think Williams is even in the conversation this year personally, as I've seen no evidence to suggest his running is good enough to be at AFL level and think that Bergman, Mead and Georgiades will all debut before him because of that. Realistically its these guys that are putting pressure on Ebert, not an X factor wildcard type player who cant be relied on to do the basics like pressure and tackle.

If Ebo loses his spot in the team this year it'll be because he's either not fit, or all of Butters, Marshall and Bergman/Georgiades have improved past him (which is possible given their ages) but I cant see it being Williams.

Best forward at port isn’t the benchmark you think it is

rozee, a first year player, was arguably as good or better even before eberts concussion.

yeah he’s a good tackler, although your 4-7 a game is stretching the truth when he averaged 4.6. Unless that was a typo?

when we’ve had a piss poor forward line year in year out, with no structure, no targets and no genuine real forwards we are going to get the results that deserves.

I’m advocating we move past shoehorning players from other positions into our forward line and pick genuine forwards. Maybe Williams isn’t ready yet, but when he is or another genuine forward is I want them picked.

Best forward at port isn’t the benchmark you think it is

rozee, a first year player, was arguably as good or better even before eberts concussion.

yeah he’s a good tackler, although your 4-7 a game is stretching the truth when he averaged 4.6. Unless that was a typo?

when we’ve had a piss poor forward line year in year out, with no structure, no targets and no genuine real forwards we are going to get the results that deserves.

I’m advocating we move past shoehorning players from other positions into our forward line and pick genuine forwards. Maybe Williams isn’t ready yet, but when he is or another genuine forward is I want them picked.

No, he averaged 5.8 tackles a game pre-injury which is what I was looking at. Tackle numbers of 4,5,6,6,7,7. Those are very good numbers for a deep forward.

I agree that we need to have natural forwards though - its long been a problem of ours that there's no real forward craft inside 50 because nobodys played forward their entire career. I'm looking at Georgiades and Bergman to hopefully provide some of that this year, and Williams too once he's got the fitness under his belt to provide pressure.

Ebert up forward is Aaron Young. Even has the same ability to stuff up shots at goal from 10m out on the run.

I wish I had a youtube of SGray missing from 50cms out, on an open goal as he hit the wrong side of the boot

To be competitive at the high end you need an elite engine room (midfield).

I’d argue that GWS, Collingwood, West Coast, Richmond, and even Geelong - have 3 midfielders each who are better than any of our midfielders.

So It’s unlikely we Will be winning a premiership this year, or getting close.

So, fast tracking And prioritising development of potential midfielders for the future is key this year. Im thinking Rozee, Butters, Burton, Drew, SPP, Houston.

In saying that Wines must be the main man in the middle to inflate his trade value at the end of the year.

So the team thing to do would be limiting Boak, Rockys games... Hmmmm

To be competitive at the high end you need an elite engine room (midfield).

I’d argue that GWS, Collingwood, West Coast, Richmond, and even Geelong - have 3 midfielders each who are better than any of our midfielders.

So It’s unlikely we Will be winning a premiership this year, or getting close.

So, fast tracking And prioritising development of potential midfielders for the future is key this year. Im thinking Rozee, Butters, Burton, Drew, SPP, Houston.

In saying that Wines must be the main man in the middle to inflate his trade value at the end of the year.

So the team thing to do would be limiting Boak, Rockys games... Hmmmm

Boaky earns a start in every game. The level of professionalism Boak puts into his preparation and that he is completely sound and should possibly still be captain if we knew then what we know now. Possibly still a couple more years there I think.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Marshall tried in defence this year especially if we play two rucks . He has the height , depends if he can read the play well I guess . Turn him into a swing man maybe

Butters Dixon Gray
Ebert Marshall Rozee
Amon Wines Duursma
Burton Clurey Hartlett
Houston Jonas Byrne-Jones

Lycett Boak Rockliff

So the First 18 is settled- you don't put games into Marshall, Rozee, Butters and Duursma in 2019 only to pull back in 2020.
The first 17 would be locks, Rockliff should not be considered a lock in any way.

Even Amon I would want to see back up what he did last year before we call him a 'lock'. We don't want another Aaron Young on our hands.

I loved Young's work but his best was never at the level of Amon this year, and his ceiling was never as high. Not saying Karl will definitely back it up in 2020, but I just don't think they're comparable as players.

A lot of Young's best games for the power where in games where we were guaranteed to lose, our players had given up, the opposing team were getting lazy, and Aaron was still going at 100%. Commendable stuff, but never a shot at being a genuine top line player.

I have put together what I think your teams might look like. I see a lot of people have Amon. Ive kept him in the Maggies

FBoakDixonWatts
HFGrayMarshallEbert
CBurtonP-PepperRozee
HBHoustonClureyHartlett
BByrne-JonesJonasLienert
RuckInter
LycettDrew
RockliffButters
WinesDuursma
Westhoff
FGeorgiadesBuzzaWoodcock
HFAmonLadhamsMotlop