Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm with Lukeparkerno1. Get Stephens in round 1. Development in the AFL will be far more beneficial than running around in the NEAFL. If the aim is to be competing in 2021/2022, the more time playing against the top competition the better.
Acquitted himself very well at SANFL level last yearand that is a step up from NEAFL. Has a huge tank as shown in preseason so ready to go IMO, we need t he burst speed and high level skills.

Gould another who played very well at SANFL level and very good in the Premiership side Glenelg. Straight into the 22 if fit for mine. Will prove the steal of his draft.

I agree, as long as Stephens is actually helping us win. If he is struggling, which he may do as even Blakey had a stretch last year where he probably should’ve been dropped, then we shouldn’t keep giving him games just because of his promise. Not when guys like Gray and Taylor could come in with 100 games more of experience and contribute to a win more.
Smart coaching would be to tell the new players they are only going to play games in small blocks. That way if they get left out it doesn't dent their confidence, otherwise they just keep their spot on form. Hopefully they already do this. I saw a documentary about Manchester United and one of the players was talking about Ferguson's cleverness in how he'd tell him he was leaving him out of the side. He'd tell him how he didn't want him playing on that pitch or in certain weather or was keeping him fresh for an upcoming game.

Smart coaching would be to tell the new players they are only going to play games in small blocks. That way if they get left out it doesn't dent their confidence, otherwise they just keep their spot on form. Hopefully they already do this. I saw a documentary about Manchester United and one of the players was talking about Ferguson's cleverness in how he'd tell him he was leaving him out of the side. He'd tell him how he didn't want him playing on that pitch or in certain weather or was keeping him fresh for an upcoming game.

That’s an interesting one , my first thing is I don’t like it just pick the team week to week, if you are dropped deal with it

But perhaps some people need more the management style you mention To get the best from them

Shouldn’t the best 22 be picked each week? The obsession of playing young guys at the cost of being competitive seems counter productive from a club performance perspective. If a first year player is good enough then they will play. Gifting them a block of games won’t make them a better player long term. They should be good enough to make without the charity.

Shouldn’t the best 22 be picked each week? The obsession of playing young guys at the cost of being competitive seems counter productive from a club performance perspective. If a first year player is good enough then they will play. Gifting them a block of games won’t make them a better player long term. They should be good enough to make without the charity.

Agree with this

I think if you are say 5-10 and picking between say sam grey or a rookie in similarish form id go the rookie

I'm with Lukeparkerno1. Get Stephens in round 1. Development in the AFL will be far more beneficial than running around in the NEAFL. If the aim is to be competing in 2021/2022, the more time playing against the top competition the better.

You have to remember we arent a top 4 side anymore where we just slotted in Heeney and Mills and we were winning 16-17 games a season.

So there is a balance to it all, Richmond are so high on confidence they played a debuton in a GF!! they believe they can win every game.

You have to remember we arent a top 4 side anymore where we just slotted in Heeney and Mills and we were winning 16-17 games a season.

So there is a balance to it all, Richmond are so high on confidence they played a debuton in a GF!! they believe they can win every game.

we are undefeated in 2020

I agree, as long as Stephens is actually helping us win. If he is struggling, which he may do as even Blakey had a stretch last year where he probably should’ve been dropped, then we shouldn’t keep giving him games just because of his promise. Not when guys like Gray and Taylor could come in with 100 games more of experience and contribute to a win more.

Certainly. If he is clearly struggling 3 or 4 weeks into the season and hasn't shown any sign of settling in, then remove him from the line up and tell him he's being managed. Much like they did with Heeney, Hayward, Mills etc.

We'e not talking just any old rookie though. He was the number 5 pick. He was taken there due to the promise he has shown and his potential ceiling. You want him hitting that ceiling as quick as he can, and i just don't think the NEAFL is the place to accelerate that.

We'e not talking just any old rookie though. He was the number 5 pick. He was taken there due to the promise he has shown and his potential ceiling. You want him hitting that ceiling as quick as he can, and i just don't think the NEAFL is the place to accelerate that.
Didn’t refer to any particular players it was a general comment.

Certainly. If he is clearly struggling 3 or 4 weeks into the season and hasn't shown any sign of settling in, then remove him from the line up and tell him he's being managed. Much like they did with Heeney, Hayward, Mills etc.

Broadly, I agree. As long as his body is mature enough to withstand AFL. Note Beatson's comments about a couple of player's physical development a couple of months ago. Opened my eyes quite a lot.
Dawson for instance observed that his fitness was not good enough when he was "stuck" in the NEAFL.
I'm pretty sure the coaches make certain players know what is expected and why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horse once again uses the “we need a replacement” excuse as to why Mills isn’t in the midfield. Just say he’s a defender, will always be a defender and be done with it!
Wouldnt Gould be that player? I mean if there was ever an opportunity for him to be able to get a chop out in that position, now is the time with Gould.

Wouldnt Gould be that player? I mean if there was ever an opportunity for him to be able to get a chop out in that position, now is the time with Gould.

It won’t happen because Horse wants Mills in defence and sees him as an elite defender. Which is fine because he is an elite defender IMO. But that and that alone is all Horse needs to say in interviews. This continual teasing of a midfield move that will never come kinda invites the constant frustration from some supporters regarding Mills.

It won’t happen because Horse wants Mills in defence and sees him as an elite defender. Which is fine because he is an elite defender IMO. But that and that alone is all Horse needs to say in interviews. This continual teasing of a midfield move that will never come kinda invites the constant frustration from some supporters regarding Mills.
I had lunch with Horse yesterday and he told me he just loves trolling fans. Gets a massive kick out of it.

Horse once again uses the “we need a replacement” excuse as to why Mills isn’t in the midfield. Just say he’s a defender, will always be a defender and be done with it!
He might not be though. Saying that we would need an excellent defender to dislodge him isn't teasing a move to the midfield. If a player can play Mills' role better, they would review his position.

As far as I'm concerned this is the biggest differnce between Melb & Carl vs Syd & WCE over the last 15-20 yrs.

Once club will make a decision over a player in the team determined off of what a player does do vs what they could do while, another team makes their decision off the reverse. If you're making the decision off of the gamble it wont always pan out

He might not be though. Saying that we would need an excellent defender to dislodge him isn't teasing a move to the midfield. If a player can play Mills' role better, they would review his position.

It’s obvious he will be a defender. He debuted as a defender, he played as a defender in the same team as Smith, Laidler, Thurlow, O’Riordan, he has played all of his best games as a defender, and Horse himself highlights Mills’ best attributes in the context of him being a defender. He’s now in his fifth year at the club, with a defensive group bolstered by the additions of Brand and Gould, and how is Mills training? As a defender!

If Horse wanted him in the midfield badly enough, he would be there. Why can’t he just say he’s in defence because he’s a really good defender, and would be better used there than in the midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back