Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will agree to disagree but that is all good. A good sensible debate is always good. Always good to hear other posters opinions without name throwing and insults.

Not sure what you're referring to here, but my post was proof of the fact that Dusty wasn't always considered a superstar. There were plenty of Richmond supporters who were criticising him and saying he would never realise his potential in his first few seasons. He wasn't the immediate gun that some here have suggested (that's the recency bias).

By extension, maybe we should wait a little longer before talking down our own young players ...

Not sure what you're referring to here, but my post was proof of the fact that Dusty wasn't always considered a superstar. There were plenty of Richmond supporters who were criticising him and saying he would never realise his potential in his first few seasons. He wasn't the immediate gun that some here have suggested (that's the recency bias).

By extension, maybe we should wait a little longer before talking down our own young players ...
I never ever talk our own players down EVER and like I said we will just have to disagree on this one I think there was also plenty of good judges saying it was only a matter of when not if he became the player he is. I was one of the when not if

I never ever talk our own players down EVER and like I said we will just have to disagree on this one I think there was also plenty of good judges saying it was only a matter of when not if he became the player he is. I was one of the when not if

Mate, that's my whole point.

We're not disagreeing. I'm disagreeing with the usual crew (not you) who say {insert name of young North player here} is no good, when it's too early to make a call.

People forget how Martin was close to the scrap heap at Richmond a few years back. He even toured GWS at one stage, because Richmond made such a low ball offer based on his poor output.

Chocco Williams saved his career at the Tigers. Without Chocco, who knows how Martin might have ended up?

Sometimes a player needs the right voice. Maybe Rhyce will be that for LDU, where Brad wasn’t?
Spot on. Martin was out the door & nobody wanted him!?
Some players just take a little longer than others. People need to show just a little bit of patience.
Maybe LDU will be a star, maybe he’ll be just a good decent player, but how about we give him a chance before writing him off.

There is not one post by anyone that has written LDU off in anything i've read.

That would be very silly.

People saying that has occurred when it hasn't happened is far more silly.

Sorry pup, your memory is failing you. Dusty was definitely shopped around 6 seasons ago and in the end there were no takers (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-30/richmond-holds-on-to-martin/4989556). He was suitably humbled by the experience and soon after that he started to play the way we all now know he can.

There's a lot of recency bias in assessing players, but the fact is, as a 22yo he had only shown glimpses of what he's capable of and for a while there, he was seen as more trouble than he was worth.

He wasn’t shopped around at all and was never on the scrap heap. Martin and his management (Ralph Carr) looked at other options basically to up the price at Richmond. A few years later he did the same thing with us. The only way Martin was ever going to leave Richmond was by his choice (not getting the contract he wanted). I know for a fact both times Richmond came to the party.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Or it's just fair comment.

Yeah, until it's proven that it wasn't.

But hey, no need to admit an inability to judge how a player might develop in the future, let's just point out that he's no match-winner even though we spent a first round draft pick on him. Adds nothing to the conversation because everyone can observe what has happened, i.e. yes, he hasn't yet won us any matches, and yes, he was a first round draft pick. Everyone can see the superficial facts, but some have the ability to look past them. Others don't.

Anyway, when he comes good (say, like Cunners or Jed), then still no mea culpa - it's "I'm just glad he proved me wrong" "What I said was right at the time" "I support him now that he's started to play well", etc. etc.

Yeah, until it's proven that it wasn't.

But hey, no need to admit an inability to judge how a player might develop in the future, let's just point out that he's no match-winner even though we spent a first round draft pick on him. Adds nothing to the conversation because everyone can observe what has happened, i.e. yes, he hasn't yet won us any matches, and yes, he was a first round draft pick. Everyone can see the superficial facts, but some have the ability to look past them. Others don't.

Anyway, when he comes good (say, like Cunners or Jed), then still no mea culpa - it's "I'm just glad he proved me wrong" "What I said was right at the time" "I support him now that he's started to play well", etc. etc.

Well it is proven until now on LDU.

Jed i'll admit (bit trigger happy yep) but not Cunners.

He was very disappointing early in his career.

Cripps looked off the pace in his first couple of years and then just exploded. I see some similarities between the both of them and I really hope my hunch is right.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

D'oh, that's my point. You look at the superficial facts and that's the extent of your analysis. No ability to see that it might change, so you criticise accordingly.

No. What I said about Cunners was right. It's still right.

He has forged a decent career since he got it together as a slow starter. Hopefully LDU can do likewise.

Not critical of LDU outside raising some concerns.

No. What I said about Cunners was right. It's still right.

He has forged a decent career since he got it together as a slow starter. Hopefully LDU can do likewise.

Not critical of LDU outside raising some concerns.

I wasn't even directing the Cunners point at you only, he was an example of the type of player who people got wrong.

Of course, you otherwise ignored my point about your superficial analysis and undue criticism.

Anyway, I'm done here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

totally disagree when what year was Dusty ready for the scrap heap He has improved in different and all aspects of his game since his debut year. Was never going to leave the Tigers all just media crap What do you mean by poor output performance or attitude just curious.
It wasn’t the media that made him tour GWS facilities.

It’s fact that the Tigers were offering him a lowball contract because he wasn’t setting the world on fire. There were big question marks if he was fit enough to run through the midfield at that stage.

Chocco Williams took Dusty under his wing and helped him become the player we know today.

People have the blinkers on and only seem to remember how good he is now and not his struggles early in his career.

He wasn’t on the scrap heap at any stage, but there was a point in his career where he wasnt setting the world on fire.

totally disagree when what year was Dusty ready for the scrap heap He has improved in different and all aspects of his game since his debut year. Was never going to leave the Tigers all just media crap What do you mean by poor output performance or attitude just curious.

Any “issues” Dusty’s had were always related to his behaviour- never his football. That’s not to say that his career couldn’t have nosedived out of control if he hadn’t gotten back on track.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back