Autopsy Marsh Community Series Week 2 Geelong v Essendon Monday March 9th 4:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Purely CS?
Disagree heaps.
He had no choice but to rebuild the team, and what he is guilty of is getting this cobbled list to continually overachieve.
Of course, he is coach, and has massive input and responsibility, but the list is not his fault.
Dunno why we overacheive. Our list is as continually as good as anyone's.
With the bonus of getting ready made players that do not need development.
Not just trade ins, but players like Stewart, Menegola and Tim Kelly.
This is a dream for a coach.
Agree totally about 2007 etc though.
No team will ever get close to that sort of level again.
Not just because of extra teams, more players etc.
But kids just aren't as skillful. Auskick is hopeless skills wise, kids just don't kick the footy on the street like they used to.

Really no read possible based on Marsh games. Careful about jumping to conclusions after last years great start, but not feeling confident at all about top 4 this year.

As some have said we look so so slow. Danger looks less agile. Steven is fitter but let’s be honest he still had a gut. Narkle and Parfitt are clever but not quick. With Selwood and Duncan well under cooked we have “the good on paper” midfield.

Speed Issue is compounded as we have so many shocking kicks that slow the ball movement more or blokes that can’t kick over a jam tin. We really need the ball is Clark, Touhy and Duncan’s hands at all costs.

We should have touched up Essendon. They are terrible which ever way you cut it

Watched VFL highlights yesterday + Parsons played well, BUT, is purely VFL standard. Yet, he throws nervy turns + tantrums, demanding to play AFL. So ‘they’ pander to him 🙄🙄🙄
Huh?

My take
- Steven is good but will be limited to 60% game time if he’s a mid.
- Two tall forwards only please
- Tuohy looked better again
- Fort is a chance to play ahead of Stanley
- Menegola is the big injury worry out of the game. Could be just a bruised shoulder/ribs, hopefully not a serious shoulder injury.
- Slow style out of the backline is frustrating and not needed with Clark, Tuohy and Stewart.
- Nobody has put there hand up. Same team as last year with Steven instead of Kelly. Improvement will need to come from fringe players within the 22.

I don't think it was too long into the first quarter when something happened to Menegola in our forward pocket

I didn't see the incident but I saw Menegola on the ground for what was felt like a minute or 2, taking his time to get back to his feet - even when he did get back to his feet, he didn't seem to be in a hurry to get involved.

As some have said we look so so slow. Danger looks less agile. Steven is fitter but let’s be honest he still had a gut. Narkle and Parfitt are clever but not quick. With Selwood and Duncan well under cooked we have “the good on paper” midfield.

Speed Issue is compounded as we have so many shocking kicks that slow the ball movement more or blokes that can’t kick over a jam tin. We really need the ball is Clark, Touhy and Duncan’s hands at all costs.

If Parfitt isn't quick I'd love to know how he chased down Saad.

Pace is the most overhyped thing in football discourse, and it's invoked beyond the point of becoming meaningless. If Geelong played a quicker, more direct style you would think the players faster. It is our deliberate approach to attack that is the lens people view the team through, nothing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My hot take is the team looks fine and will play some good footy this year, and at other times not so good. We'll all argue constantly about meaningless s**t and the only way we would all make up and be happy is a premiership so an easily discounted chance.

In other words back to it, business as usual, yadda yadda.

My take
- Steven is good but will be limited to 60% game time if he’s a mid.
- Two tall forwards only please
- Tuohy looked better again
- Fort is a chance to play ahead of Stanley
- Menegola is the big injury worry out of the game. Could be just a bruised shoulder/ribs, hopefully not a serious shoulder injury.
- Slow style out of the backline is frustrating and not needed with Clark, Tuohy and Stewart.
- Nobody has put there hand up. Same team as last year with Steven instead of Kelly. Improvement will need to come from fringe players within the 22.
Agree with slow method out of the backline. We don’t score many goals do we. Look at post bye last year. Scott is not a game plan visionary type of coach. He finds players to do the same thing over again. Why not try some speedy style out of back half for a quarter or two?
Pre season only but.....

I don't think it was too long into the first quarter when something happened to Menegola in our forward pocket

I didn't see the incident but I saw Menegola on the ground for what was felt like a minute or 2, taking his time to get back to his feet - even when he did get back to his feet, he didn't seem to be in a hurry to get involved.

He came off second best against Townsend

Will Selwood + Duncan be the difference?
No. It’s game plan. Not gonna cut it. Essendon looked liked they Have developed tigers forward handball game- rutten & Caracalla. We have a coach that’s never developed a game plan. 2011 made him lazy. Quite frankly I didn’t see any shift in style from the 6-7 end to the season!

Why is Gaz even playing?

Hope he can pull of a few miracles this year, but he may be so cooked the opposition will be playing a plate of grilled mushrooms and a side-salad next to him.
I hope they don’t stick to a set plan of resting him. They should “rest him” when he is not in form. So if round 1 & 2 are no good then give him a rest for the Perth trip and beyond! Not in form don’t play him!

If Fort had Stanley's physical assets, or if Stanley had Fort's footy nous and determination, we'd have a decent ruckman.

But alas and alack.

so if we combine bits of like the 20 average sucks we've used since 2011 we'll have a good one 🤣

Been saying for ages we needed outside midfielders, our lack of overlap running has been a problem for a long time. It will improve once Duncan comes in.
I know the trade with the Suns for Jeremy Sharp for a first round is a killer deal for our club... but then again, he was the second best outside midfielder in that draft, and could very well have more upside than D Stephens.
7800 people at Colac, that's a decent turn out.

So Jack Steven was decent today? I think the inside midfield will be okay with J Steven, Dangerfield and Narkle... Clark should play HBF, Duncan to a Wing, but the other wing I'm not certain of atm.

Sorry I couldn’t disagree more on Taheny, used the ball beautifully off half back with his long left foot, took a few good marks and for someone who has only played as a forward I thought he was fantastic
Also on the GFC website he was named in our best. Fog was named 2nd best but I agree with you, he was good but far from great.
I loved SDK pressure when the ball hit the ground, for a big kid he doesn’t give up
You are probably right about Taheny. I hope so any way. I found looking for Evans and Taheny difficult. If Taheny did his best work on defensive flank on entrance side I would have missed it!

Beats me how Fog got in the bests.

What did you think of No.79? ( Chook playing incognito)?

Hard to take much away from that given the player rotations and guys being moved around on the pitch. One thing that does stand out is how important Miers is playing further up the ground, but how much that robs us of creativity inside 50. Hopefully Close or Tarca can push for games later in the year and fill some of that void.

he’s a 2’s footballer. And when narkle, cockatoo, steven, Duncan, Selwood, Ablett, parfitt, Cam Guthrie, Danger are fit, he doesn’t play mid or half forward ahead of any of them.

cockatoo might as well be living in the Bermuda triangle such are his fitness issues and Menegola is easily best 22.

cockatoo might as well be living in the Bermuda triangle such are his fitness issues and Menegola is easily best 22.
Menegola is campaigner at best. Perhaps he is best 22 at the moment but not a lock. We really we want younger players like Narkle and Chook pushing him out.

He can find the ball ok but his vision, decision making and ball use is lacking IMO.

Having said that he started to change my mind a bit with a couple good finals performances last year so I havn't completely written him off yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back