FTA-TV MAFS: Where you get matching tatts before you've even hid the snag

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All MAFS watchers and posters.

This thread is given a lot of rope with posting especially around insults of contestants (mostly deserved) BUT you need to ensure to abide by the site rules on profanity, racism, homophobia, sexism, misogyny etc etc etc.

Ill be explicitly clear, a minor infraction will get a deletion and a warning, a second minor infraction will be a thread ban, a serious infraction will be an automatic thread ban or worse.

The show is in poor taste (probably why we love it) and thus the posting can also be but there is a line and we need to remember and respect that.

I have told you about 5000 that you are wrong on this front. A massive part of the ratings come from people who want happy couples and they love the weddings.

Rather they expanded the exciting parts- the dinner parties especially. I'd like the dinner part be 2 nights a week, they do seem pretty rushed every week.

I get it some people love the lovey dovey things but do we need a week of weddings when it could be condensed to 2 episodes? Sometimes less is more so to speak.

Rather they expanded the exciting parts- the dinner parties especially. I'd like the dinner part be 2 nights a week, they do seem pretty rushed every week.

I get it some people love the lovey dovey things but do we need a week of weddings when it could be condensed to 2 episodes? Sometimes less is more so to speak.

You don’t listen do you?

Why change the parts that get good ratings? That is one part that will not change. So you can close that book.

Why change the parts that get good ratings? That is one part that will not change. So you can close that book.

Then it's the fast forward next year for me. Will only bother with the nutcase weddings.

Plus can we not have the old couple...every year they are beyond annoying!

Well, yeah man the series finished last night sooo...

Was taking about next season. Forget me watching the weddings live, they go way too long personally. If they rate fine they won't change, but think I'll be watching something on Netflix for those episodes. They don't excite me at all personally.

This season turned s**t because it started s**t.

We had to work very hard from day 1 to make the cast as likeable as previous seasons and we could only do so much.

It gets really s**t towards the end because they wanted to leave but the execs convinced them to stay. Not good telly.

I don't think the series needs a reboot, it just needs to treat the cast differently. They need to acknowledge that the show and the casts life are intertwined and show them how to deal with it better. The cast want to come out looking good to the world but whatever instincts they're using are working against them. Going rogue and "exposing" stuff doesn't help them.

I actually told one of the execs to go and study how Vince McMahon does it. I'm not kidding. The cast need to know the meaning of Kayfabe.

And yes we need different experts. they are s**t.

This cast were too aware of the media and social media and spoiled a lot of it by yapping. Hardly anyone was actually a nice person so for me I didn't like them or care about them.

This cast were too aware of the media and social media and spoiled a lot of it by yapping. Hardly anyone was actually a nice person so for me I didn't like them or care about them.

That is the number 1 thing that HAS to change- no spoilers on social media. It got beyond a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DapperJong do the camera crews need to be around more, since they missed lots of alleged events this season?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

No, the cast just ignored rules and had parties while filming wasn't happening. They film a s**t load. It would be unfair to ask them to film even more.

Actually agree with you.

The only thing I'll say is the boring "wedding episodes" could be condensed to 1 night. They are boring, no one care about them. They went on far too long...and for the love of goodness sakes don't bring back unlikeable people...no Lizzie's please!

Experts need reboot, 100% agree. I'd keep John, the other two can go.
I hate the weddings, but I'm not the demographic. It's a vagina thing.

Are the experts anything other than window dressing to give the s**t show a veneer of respectability?

How about a late night version of the show? One that has the stuff you leave on the cutting room floor.

I think that would have appeal but on current form it would be too much work to be worth it. Channel 9 wouldn't want to show unpolished stuff.

And I don't think they would want to demystify the show to the point where the audience gets to see raw footage.

If Steve told Mishel he’d cut her other tit off she’d be smashed all over the internet and news. Why is it ok for her to threaten his testicle like she did?

I think that would have appeal but on current form it would be too much work to be worth it. Channel 9 wouldn't want to show unpolished stuff.

And I don't think they would want to demystify the show to the point where the audience gets to see raw footage.
That's a shame, but it probably is throwing out the baby with the bathwater. The putrid but delicious bathwater.

This season turned s**t because it started s**t.

We had to work very hard from day 1 to make the cast as likeable as previous seasons and we could only do so much.

It gets really s**t towards the end because they wanted to leave but the execs convinced them to stay. Not good telly.

I don't think the series needs a reboot, it just needs to treat the cast differently. They need to acknowledge that the show and the casts life are intertwined and show them how to deal with it better. The cast want to come out looking good to the world but whatever instincts they're using are working against them. Going rogue and "exposing" stuff doesn't help them.

I actually told one of the execs to go and study how Vince McMahon does it. I'm not kidding. The cast need to know the meaning of Kayfabe.

And yes we need different experts. they are s**t.
It did looked like a lot of them had checked out, even though they were still there

Last night was terrible for a conclusion of the show, most of them looked liked they wanted to be somewhere else

Last edited:
My (unasked for) take on MAFS at present.

In the beginning, the MAFS concept left a sour taste in people's mouths before the first episode (i.e. is it 'really' legally binding?) - this was all forgotten when we met Zoe and Alex, and we saw healthy scepticism blossom into a loving relationship (one that eventually produced a kid). There were other genuine couples (who to this day don't have an Instagram profile) who still failed but captured the hearts of the nation.

The show's success/ratings were matched purely with the success of the couples themselves. For example, when Clare and Jono broke up prior to the end of the show (before 'commitment ceremonies') there was genuine concern with the creator's, they wanted these couples to work because the audience wanted these couples to work.

Typically after a few seasons of the same formula, things get tired - which in the reality world means 'up the dramz'. In season 4, the show extended significantly and incorporated new components (commitment ceremony, dinner night's). Season 4 saw the introduction of more diva/prima donna types such as Cheryl, Michael and Scarlett and Nadia. Season 5 had Dean, Davina, Tracey, Troy, Nasser etc. These two seasons were the absolute peak because the balance was perfect - you still really interesting personalities mixed with Insta whores, but a side dose of genuine people who really wanted to find love (Simon and Alene, Sean and Susan etc). The love triangles and drama's were unexpected and fresh, which had people with different interests - i.e. Davina and Dean (fame whores), Ryan (genuine), Tracey (* knows). This chemical mix worked perfectly.

The issue with the escalating drama is that it drains the pool of (somewhat) genuine, but quirky personalities looking for love - it's very true that despite the multitude of dating platforms it's incredibly difficult finding the 'one'. With that said smart, middle-class young people aren't going to throw themselves into a show like this unless it works as a good business move. So now you get fame whores x1000 - Jessika, Martha, Natasha, Heyley etc who genuinely make a profit once the show has done. Or you get the really grubby, immoral types like Ines and Cyrell. There are blokes like that too but they're less profitable overall in a social media sense.

This makes sense that the quality this year was really poor, and that the ratings have dried up somewhat (despite there being nowhere to go/nothing to do).
Even the uneducated masses (ZOMG I can't bewieve what dey did he is a BAD BOII!!) will get tired of insta-ho after insta-ho.

There's two directions it can go then:

1. Return to the previous balance of genuine/drama types - they'd have to market strongly in their casting and make a 'vow' not to destroy people's livelihoods for profit (tough gig). This might take a season or so to get it back on track.
2. Continue down the same path, but attract more 'subtle' manipulative types.

This can be said for people like 'Matt the Virgin', a personality type that's been debunked by many people who know him. This season it would be 'Carly', someone that even contestants said was completely fake - her approach was brilliant though and she knew how to get on the right side of the hero/villain mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back