Cancel culture, racism & Collingwood & Carltons club songs

Remove this Banner Ad

With Cancel Culture becoming more and more prevalent in today’s society, for example Colonial Beer being pulled from shelves, I’m quite surprised that there hasn’t been more scrutiny surround what some would perceive to be the racial undertones in both the Carlton or Collingwood club songs.

Everyone knows the famous line “Oh the premierships a Cakewalk” in Collingwood's song but do people really know where the term Cakewalk comes from? It dates back to the days of slavery in the US. Slaves on plantations would be made to dance in a competition with the winner being awarded a cake.

Origins of the word "Cakewalk"

If you look into Carltons song the tune is actually based on an old song called Lily of Laguna which is what was called a “c**n song”. It’s actually quite unbelievable when you read the wiki article about the origins of the song. Obviously the Carlton song isn’t racist and no one would associate the tune with its origins. But still, not sure I’d want my clubs song associated with anything like that.

Original Lily of Laguna song

Will cancel culture force a change for these two famous songs?

With Cancel Culture becoming more and more prevalent in today’s society, for example Colonial Beer being pulled from shelves, I’m quite surprised that there hasn’t been more scrutiny surround what some would perceive to be the racial undertones in both the Carlton or Collingwood club songs.

Everyone knows the famous line “Oh the premierships a Cakewalk” in Collingwood's song but do people really know where the term Cakewalk comes from? It dates back to the days of slavery in the US. Slaves on plantations would be made to dance in a competition with the winner being awarded a cake.

If you look into Carltons song the tune is actually based on an old song called Lily of Laguna which is what was called a “c**n song”. It’s actually quite unbelievable when you read the wiki article about the origins of the song. Obviously the Carlton song isn’t racist and no one would associate the tune with its origins. But still, not sure I’d want my clubs song associated with anything like that.

There are some moronic posts on here ..and then you come along and say "hold my Beer":

Is it still appropriate to call the EFC the "Bombers"?

may seem silly, but in the NBA (some years back) the washington Bullets changed to the Wizards as the image of violence in a city plagued by crime was deemed unacceptable.

Given we live in an age of Terrorism, should the EFC now be known as the Bumblebees?

I'm not saying they should be forced to change, it's just more of a question will cancel culture come after this? I'm just thinking about some of the stuff that's been canceled, like Colonial beer for instance which is wayyyy over the top, but I'd think in the eyes of the cancel culture people these two examples are "worse" than some of the other stuff that's being targeted.

But still, not sure I’d want my clubs song associated with anything like that.

I'm not saying they should be forced to change, it's just more of a question will cancel culture come after this? I'm just thinking about some of the stuff that's been canceled, like Colonial beer for instance which is wayyyy over the top, but I'd think in the eyes of the cancel culture people these two examples are "worse" than some of the other stuff that's being targeted.

First you raise personal objection, then you claim to be neutral - more attributing that objection to coming from other parties. So which is it?

Blackhearts and Sparrows - the liquor chain you've alluded to - removed 'Colonial' Brewing products from it's shelves - yet happily sell a wide range of Gin and Gin mixes. 'Gin' is a derogatory word for an Aboriginal women. I don't see them banning that. Will they consider banning say - bourbon? Bourbon has origins in the American deep south in the 18th century when and where slavery was prevalent. Will they ban it too because of that association? They'll have nothing left on the shelves if they remove everything with a questionable origin or association.

If you're going to go woke - you go the whole way.

Last edited:

may seem silly, but in the NBA (some years back) the washington Bullets changed to the Wizards as the image of violence in a city plagued by crime was deemed unacceptable.

Given we live in an age of Terrorism, should the EFC now be known as the Bumblebees?

Essendon's previous moniker was far more offensive lol.

Think in the past few weeks we've figured out who the real snowflakes are - and it ain't those on the left of the political spectrum.
That is some quality deflection

Some people are allergic to bumblebees... Not me personally, but some people, and I am offended on their behalf.

Your post has triggered my anxiety, so I have reported it for terrorism.

First you raise personal objection, then you claim to be neutral - more attributing that objection to coming from other parties. So which is it?

Blackhearts and Sparrows - the liquor chain you've alluded to - removed 'Colonial' Brewing products from it's shelves - yet happily sell a wide range of Gin and Gin mixes. 'Gin' is a derogatory word for an Aboriginal women. I don't see them banning that. Will they consider banning say bourbon? Bourbon has origins in the American deep south in the 18th century when and where slavery was prevalent. Will they ban it too because that association? They'll have nothing left on the shelves if they remove everything with a questionable origin.

Never touched Colonial Brewing products, I'll be in at Dans tomorrow, hope I like it, put my money where my mouth is !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we have a lot of problems with the Hawthorn song and the Yankee Doodle offensive connotations.

Also the Brisbane Lions/Fitzroy song which is the French National Anthem (Those Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys)

Also Port Magpies Prison Bars has offensive Penal Colony/Captain Cook connotations.

Seriously this thread belongs on the Bay.

Colonial Beer is not being pulled from shelves. One small, moronic chain said they were going to do it.

The owner of Colonial said overall they had their biggest ever week of sales in response.

No they won't.

This reminds me a bit of the approach that the likes of Fox News likes to take - drawing the longest hypothetical left-wing bow possible, and then using that extrapolation to get really upset over something that nobody is bothered about.

So you are making a thread complaining about something that has not happened?

I should make a thread complaining about Jack Sinclair not deserving the 2020 Brownlow medal he got.

No they won't.

This reminds me a bit of the approach that the likes of Fox News likes to take - drawing the longest hypothetical left-wing bow possible, and then using that extrapolation to get really upset over something that nobody is bothered about.

Just Fox News .... you need to get out more often.

Blackhearts and Sparrows - the liquor chain you've alluded to - removed 'Colonial' Brewing products from it's shelves - yet happily sell a wide range of Gin and Gin mixes. 'Gin' is a derogatory word for an Aboriginal women. I don't see them banning that. Will they consider banning say - bourbon? Bourbon has origins in the American deep south in the 18th century when and where slavery was prevalent. Will they ban it too because of that association? They'll have nothing left on the shelves if they remove everything with a questionable origin or association.

This is something I disagree with pretty strongly. Irrespective of Blackhearts and Swallows, being sensitive about culture and history is something where you exercise judgement rather than just pick one of two choices. Most of us would draw a line somewhere between the extremes of wanting to rename 'gin', and thinking, for example, that it's acceptable to shout the n-word at a black footballer. That's probably true of most sociopolitical positions; you can support free public healthcare without wanting to nationalise all industry, or support having the national anthem in schools without wanting national service.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back