Cancel culture, racism & Collingwood & Carltons club songs

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints should be fine as our song is a black spiritual hymn.

Although I guess it could be cultural appropriation....

And our Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Rastafarian fans could also think it discriminates against them....

How much hand wringing will it take to get us out of this pickle ?!

Oh for the good ole days when we could go back to having a meltdown because a brown woman with a funny name wrote an insensitive (but not incorrect) tweet about ANZAC Day...
The same woman who would have a meltdown if anyone drew a picture of Mohammed the magical mystery man.

Tom Wills was also racist apparently.

Patently false. Wills' own father was brutally murdered by Aboriginals along with women and children at Cullin-la-ringo; it was only by chance that Wills himself wasn't present. A few years later Wills played for an Aboriginal team at the MCG on Boxing Day. The match drew a very decent crowd and the Aboriginal team was generously supported.

Of course Wills has recently been accused of exploiting said Aboriginal cricketers, so the New History may decree him a racist after all.

Is it still appropriate to call the EFC the "Bombers"?

may seem silly, but in the NBA (some years back) the washington Bullets changed to the Wizards as the image of violence in a city plagued by crime was deemed unacceptable.

Given we live in an age of Terrorism, should the EFC now be known as the Bumblebees?
Maybe change it to the injectors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First you raise personal objection, then you claim to be neutral - more attributing that objection to coming from other parties. So which is it?

Blackhearts and Sparrows - the liquor chain you've alluded to - removed 'Colonial' Brewing products from it's shelves - yet happily sell a wide range of Gin and Gin mixes. 'Gin' is a derogatory word for an Aboriginal women. I don't see them banning that. Will they consider banning say - bourbon? Bourbon has origins in the American deep south in the 18th century when and where slavery was prevalent. Will they ban it too because of that association? They'll have nothing left on the shelves if they remove everything with a questionable origin or association.

If you're going to go woke - you go the whole way.

Gin, in the alcohol context, is not linked to aboriginal women AFAIK. The name gin in this context comes from somewhere completely different so there's no connection, just a coincidence, hence no discussion about it.

Bourbon isn't from the deep south, it was made pretty much exclusively in Kentucky at the time you're referring to and shipped to the south, so again no connection.
But I am just a humble white booze nerd so happy to stand corrected.

Lefties are massively anti Semitic and many of the extreme left especially in Europe would have preferred Hitler won. So they can be aligned.
:think:

How on earth would the "extreme left", the very people that you are implying are so oversensitive about any racial bias, want the Nazi Party to have won against the allies and brought white supremacist values on the world. Talk about drawing a long bow.

The craziest thing for me was I was relatively against the protests until I saw Trump clear out the front of the White House from legal, non-violent protest using force like tear gas and police beatings to take a photo with an upside down Bible, and when asked if it was his bible he replied "It's a Bible." Talk about fascist implications...

Well as an avowed anti-christian I guess it was fortuitous that I was born into a family that supports the Demons. Not so good from a mental health perspective though....
Discrimination on the basis of religion? That's not very tolerant of you.

As a Christian I find it quite disturbing that you have a predetermined view on a large portion of the world's population.

It's no different to me saying "As an avowed anti Muslim"

It's hateful and divisive rhetoric.

Discrimination on the basis of religion? That's not very tolerant of you.

As a Christian I find it quite disturbing that you have a predetermined view on a large portion of the world's population.

It's no different to me saying "As an avowed anti Muslim"

It's hateful and divisive rhetoric.

Anti-religion - it just so happens I was raised in a predominantly Christian society

But yeah anyone who believes in the invisible man in the sky deserves ridicule

I wouldn't mind all states changing their names, aside from Tasmania. The names we have now either belong to another land or are unimaginative.
In truth, me too - nothing to do with political correctness, though - just wanting better names.

Victoria: Macchiatonia
New South Wales: Cocainia
Queensland: Katterstan
South Australia: Worst End
Western Australia: The Sandpit
Northern Territory: Dundee
ACT: South Cocainia

In truth, me too - nothing to do with political correctness, though - just wanting better names.

Victoria: Macchiatonia
New South Wales: Cocainia
Queensland: Katterstan
South Australia: Worst End
Western Australia: The Sandpit
Northern Territory: Dundee
ACT: South Cocainia
Try again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back