Review Round 6, 2020 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Great writeup of the game and you can tell that they actually watched the game instead of pulling out the tired cliches you may see in other publications.

I really enjoyed the kudos given to Lycett.

Dunstall commentates about as well as he helped clean up the crows culture in the off-season.

But yeah, you wouldn’t have heard much about it because even though Lycett likes to mix it up with the best of them, he can also win the footy, and that’s what he did here. Eight clearances was a game-high, by the way. It would have been nice if Jason Dunstall had known that.

Dunstall commentates about as well as he helped clean up the crows culture in the off-season.
Have been banging on about the awful commentary for ages. Since St Dennis stepped down it's complete custard. Utterly vic-centric, and when it isn't it's Riccuito or Dwayne.

And since when has Jobe Watson been the best credentialed of his generation to move into the media?

😠

Dunstall was appalling yesterday. Worst commentator of our game by a long shot and that's saying something.

It was failure to hold onto the ball - incorrect disposal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Really Byron? Have a look again. Marshall does not even have a chance to take possession of the ball in the first place, never mind dispose of it! I know that the umpire is behind him and doesnt have the clearest of vision. But that happens dozens of times per game and s NEVER a holding the ball.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a...l/news-story/ae41cd6e4cfcbd1e62c2e78fef6390c3

Giants star Aidan Corr must have felt, just briefly, like he was untouchable.
The 26-year-old made no attempt to conceal the moment he buried Port Adelaide player Todd Marshall’s face in the dirt — and still got away without having to face any consequences.
Corr’s cheap shot came as the temperature was starting to rise during the second quarter of Port Adelaide’s 17-point win over GWS at Giants Stadium on Sunday.

Have been banging on about the awful commentary for ages. Since St Dennis stepped down it's complete custard. Utterly vic-centric, and when it isn't it's Riccuito or Dwayne.

And since when has Jobe Watson been the best credentialed of his generation to move into the media?

😠
Dennis is still commentating the WAFL on 7 and AFL games in Perth on MMM.

Now that they are calling from a studio - Bruce in Adelaide, others in Melbourne, both 7 and Fox Footy, with a boundary rider at the game, get Dennis into a studio in Perth and get him to call games for 7. He only gave up because he was sick of the travel.

Last edited:
Port Adelaide v GWS Giants

8 Tom Jonas (PORT)
7 Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)
6 Kane Farrell (PORT)
4 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
4 Dan Houston (PORT)
1 Scott Lycett (PORT)

Great writeup of the game and you can tell that they actually watched the game instead of pulling out the tired cliches you may see in other publications.
Really good, but I will melt over it a little.

I would love to see people calling bad football as "bad football," instead of "defensive football". The problem is NOT that coaches are defensive-minded as much as it has become TOO EASY to defend.

Teams are failing in moving the ball forward, but not due "defensive footy." It is because they are BAD at it. We have been witnessing a festival of unforced errors (bad kicks, bad handballs, missed marks, missed tackles, etc.) throughout the games. Adding inconsistent umpiring and ridiculous commentary to it only makes everything even worse.

Stop blaming the defences, please.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPP was an absolute machine and Farrell showed he is absolutely up to the level you can add these 2 to our young talent.
Credit were credit is due the captain played his best game in along time.
The big fellow Lycett was great mummy trying to intimate him was funny can't see big scooter taking a step back been an important recruit.
Something I noticed was Ollie hand balled alot more I think this is a directive from the coaches.
Overall very happy we have put our selfs in a very nice position.

Yep. Getting constantly sent to far flung locations to play in front of nobody in shitty timeslots has done absolute wonders for our ability to cope with the randomness of this season. Other clubs are used to playing in front of big crowds with lots of attention and hype, you suspect after a while they actually rely on some of that to get them up and about and perform. Our players need to be much more self motivated than that.
This is pretty close to the mark I reckon!

SPP was an absolute machine and Farrell showed he is absolutely up to the level you can add these 2 to our young talent.
The big fellow Lycett was great mummy trying to intimate him was funny can't see big scooter taking a step back been an important recruit.
Something I noticed was Ollie hand balled alot more I think this is a directive from the coaches.
"Mummy trying to intimate him"?

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have just watched the replay and noted a few things.

Robbie kicks our 3rd goal on the back of repeat efforts from Farrell. SPP immense without him we probably would've lost.

We remember the goals and the clangers but what really stood out to me was our team effort and our organised defence. From pressure on the ball carrier,

denying them the corridor, our smothers and repeat efforts it was a team win.

Unpopular opinion but Kern coached well. Sure the entries into our F50 weren't great but we repeatedly forced them to go down the line and altho' it wasn't a great spectacle

it was a sweet win against a good opponent. Forced changes for next week will be interesting. Georgiades Bergman & Ladhams. Duursma another week to make sure.
Montgomery owns defensive strategy and Schoey midfield. These guys are true strategists. Ken provides the fluff. I bet Schoey was the one that demanded Rocky to be dropped and persisting with Houston, Rozee, Butters in midfield and timing Robbie's clearance work along with backing in Farrell. I don't believe its Ken who is getting kudos in media. I just hope one of them get the lead gig before they get poached

😠
Jobe Watson is putrid. He has destroyed my Thursday and Friday viewing. Its time to go Bruce too. Ken Cunningham would be more insightful

Happy someone commented on Wines handballing a lot. I noticed the same thing, loved it and thought it was a clear directive. He released Amon on one occasion and SPP on another to excellent effect.

Montgomery owns defensive strategy and Schoey midfield. These guys are true strategists. Ken provides the fluff. I bet Schoey was the one that demanded Rocky to be dropped and persisting with Houston, Rozee, Butters in midfield and timing Robbie's clearance work along with backing in Farrell. I don't believe its Ken who is getting kudos in media. I just hope one of them get the lead gig before they get poached
Fair enough I probably got a bit carried away with the win and especially seeing Faz come of age with a breakout game. People bang on about his kicking which is elite

but I've watched him playing for the Maggies and really impressed by his speed and work ethic. Some on here in the last few weeks were close to stamping his papers.

In this OMG world we now live in were seemingly everything and everybody is the greatest ever it's worth looking at the fact he's only played a handful of games.

Amon was the same and a lot of us on here remember when DBJ was ear marked as a deputy temporary emergency relief stand-in on his way out the door.

Fair enough I probably got a bit carried away with the win and especially seeing Faz come of age with a breakout game. People bang on about his kicking which is elite

but I've watched him playing for the Maggies and really impressed by his speed and work ethic. Some on here in the last few weeks were close to stamping his papers.

In this OMG world we now live in were seemingly everything and everybody is the greatest ever it's worth looking at the fact he's only played a handful of games.

Amon was the same and a lot of us on here remember when DBJ was ear marked as a deputy temporary emergency relief stand-in on his way out the door.
deputy temporary emergency relief stand-in

LOL ... Now there is a job description! DTERS for short!

Mate, this is nothing new. Clarkson doesnt even attend many of the Hawks practice sessions, and mostly he just watches from his banana lounge on the sidelines! His line-coaches run training sessions.

Being a Devil's advocate, Ken has some very good qualities needed for a head coach. He has done this club a heap of good. He has flaws, as ALL head coaches would have. The key to any good manager is to identify your own flaws, and to surround yourself with people who compensate for them. To me, THIS has been Ken's biggest failure - NOT his actual flaws!

I have have the utmost confidence in the team we have gathered around him, the football dept, strength & conditioning, assist coaches, recruiting. For the first time, I am seeing glimpses of Ken trusting in them, and letting the strings go, allowing them more influence in what takes place day to day.

Its only a start though, but the signs are there.

Best thing re game was port's mongrel dog fight. My nightly, drunken, totally out of date post, watched game live with 2 screaming toddlers and was well pleased, just watched replay and ports have some mongrel fight. I like making boxing analogies re footy, and a few times this season port have had an opponent on the ropes at half time but haven't delivered the knock out blow, opponent has furiously punched their way out of a corner in the 3rd but left themselves open for a counter attack, port weathered the storm then calmly landed some big counter punches and knocked their dick in the dirt in the 4th. Wc had a massive surge in the 3rd, port weathered it, then beat them into submission with a late surge, you could actually pinpoint the moment their spirit was broken. You could see them throw everything into the surge, port took the blows, then ko'ed em with a blistering counterpunch combo in the last. Love it. Finally have some confidence that ports are no longer a whipped dog, we are the alpha dog 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back