Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
If Buckley is dumb enough to breach the COVID protocols, then he should be summarily dismissed.

What a numpty.

No wonder the culture in the club is sh*t.

Its now time for the president to lead by example, he wanted people sent home and personally fined for breaching protocols then he has to start with his own backyard,

I have always doubted the intellect of Bucks but after his breaching of the COVID restrictions to play tennis I am now in no dount.

He is just thick as two bricks, no wonder the good coaches pull his game plan apart and he just sits there like a stunned mullet.

Get Clarko. No more mates or ex champs, the only time we have flagged since 58 is with club outsiders coming in to coach.

I have always doubted the intellect of Bucks but after his breaching of the COVID restrictions to play tennis I am now in no dount.

He is just thick as two bricks, no wonder the good coaches pull his game plan apart and he just sits there like a stunned mullet.

Get Clarko. No more mates or ex champs, the only time we have flagged since 58 is with club outsiders coming in to coach.

I didn't want to bring that up, but yeah.

Wow - talk about hypocrisy - you want the guy who abused a reporter punched a hole in a wall etc etc because he’s the model citizen compared to Bucks.

It is totally OK to want a different coach for the club. I get that because just like every other supporter I want more on-field success.

What I don't understand is the level of dislike and resentment some fans have for Buckley. Every loss or god forbid human error like this is followed by disrespect and vitriol that gets spewed out.

It's feral.

It is totally OK to want a different coach for the club. I get that because just like every other supporter I want more on-field success.

What I don't understand is the level of dislike and resentment some fans have for Buckley. Every loss or god forbid human error like this is followed by disrespect and vitriol that gets spewed out.

It's feral.
I am sorry but if you have 9 years as the coach of the biggest & most popular & extremely well-resourced club in Australia & you still have not have not produced a premiership, well you must be held accountable. Ask this question are we any closer to a premiership now in early August, 2020, than we were when Buckley took over from Mick Malthouse in late October, 2011? I know that most people on this site have very consistently positive attitudes towards Bathan Buckley as a good bloke & a very good communicator when it comes to operating within the media context. Moreover he describes very well what has gone wrong during his post-match press conferences but he fails miserably when providing reasons and/or solutions to our teams failures & weaknesses. In turn this is the team that hehas built over the last 9 years via the recruitment philosophy that he has singularly adopted; the delistings he has authorised & perhaps most importantly the players & draftees whom hehas overlooked. I do not buy the argument that all of the latter can be attributed to the Head of Recruiting; the Football Operations manager and/or the List Manager, respectively. All of the latter will undoubtedly make inputs into recruiting decisions but as the US President Harry Truman famously stated when it came to critical decisions towards the latter part of World War 2 - such as the decisions to drop the 2 Atomic bombs on Hiroshima & Nagasaki in 1945 - plus the decisions in the Cold War period up until 1952 US election, "THAT THE BUCK STOPS HERE". I mean Buckley must have had the final veto on whether a player is recruited or not whether it be from the Under 18's; from other clubs; from interstate; and/or even overseas recruits. I mean how long do we give this guy? Another 2 years or another 3 years or another 5 years or possibly even another 10 years in order to win that elusive premiership?

Finally, if there are people on this web site, who find Clarkson as a totally repugnant human being in terms of his historical behaviour on the football field and/or whilst coaching, well I could provide you with many, many separate anecdotes that cast great & successful coaches such as Ron Barassi, Kevin Sheedy, Leigh Matthews & Mick Malthouse in a far less-than-desrable light. I am 66 on August 15 & I have been watching Collingwood through the late 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 2000's & beyond up till the present time. So I think that I possess a very good knowledge of many of the events & personalities that characterised & dominated much of the above-mentioned decades. All I know is that I want premierships & so if we had to hire Attila the Hun or Genghis Khan or Erwin Rommel or Ho Chi Minh or Mao Tse Tung or even Ivan the Terrible to do so, then I would not have any problems from a purely footballing perspective. History does not recall or remember glorious defeats or closely-run Grand Final defeats or sustained injury lists or repetitive episodes of bad luck. What matters 100% is Premiership success. Ask poor old Bobby Rose & the players from his era such as Tuddy about the latter! Anyway, I am sure that I have unevitably upset many Collingwood supporters on this site, for better or for worse, but c'est la vie, I am much more concerned about a truthful & accurate & fearless assessment of the situation as it stand here in early August, 2020. Regardless, goodnight & good luck. Go Pies.

I'd have no qualms about him as a person. My query would be his coaching. To me he's trying to get this Hawks team to play the same style as the 3 peat team with control through patient kick and mark and I think that style has had its day.

Doesn't have the cattle like he used to.

I'm not convinced that Clarko has adjusted his game style to counter the changes since the 3 peat.

No he hasn't, for so long he's been the salesman for the kick / mark style while doing it 'unsociably' - It'd be interesting to see him opt for a more 'grunt' style with the crew his got. Reckon they'd do worse.

For everyone else on this thread, I don't think Clarko would do better here at the Pies - reckon Bucks has got everything out of this group. Particularly in 'contending' years.

Wow - talk about hypocrisy - you want the guy who abused a reporter punched a hole in a wall etc etc because he’s the model citizen compared to Bucks.

I don't think Linda_Lovelace is concerned with how good a citizen Bucks or Clarko is, Linda just wants a coach who'll deliver flags.

And rightly no discerning supporter should give two sh1ts about what the 'person' is like, just coach to us to flags - if it's a narcissistic flog who cares. More chance of winning them than the 'nice' guy.

Nice guys finish not first.

In saying that, I don't think Clarko would be the man - if right now he took over, with the competition around us. Nor is there anyone, it's just not our window. We're just makin up the numbers.

Fair points all and well expressed.

9 years is a fair opportunity and whilst we came agonisingly close we didn't bring home the goods.

NB did improve on the job and winning Coach of the year in 2018 proves that.

A fresh presence might help the club and a new message might reinvigorate the group but I'm not sure that I agree with others that say that they don't care what kind of human we bring in to coach the club. I do.

I am sorry but if you have 9 years as the coach of the biggest & most popular & extremely well-resourced club in Australia & you still have not have not produced a premiership, well you must be held accountable. Ask this question are we any closer to a premiership now in early August, 2020, than we were when Buckley took over from Mick Malthouse in late October, 2011? I know that most people on this site have very consistently positive attitudes towards Bathan Buckley as a good bloke & a very good communicator when it comes to operating within the media context. Moreover he describes very well what has gone wrong during his post-match press conferences but he fails miserably when providing reasons and/or solutions to our teams failures & weaknesses. In turn this is the team that hehas built over the last 9 years via the recruitment philosophy that he has singularly adopted; the delistings he has authorised & perhaps most importantly the players & draftees whom hehas overlooked. I do not buy the argument that all of the latter can be attributed to the Head of Recruiting; the Football Operations manager and/or the List Manager, respectively. All of the latter will undoubtedly make inputs into recruiting decisions but as the US President Harry Truman famously stated when it came to critical decisions towards the latter part of World War 2 - such as the decisions to drop the 2 Atomic bombs on Hiroshima & Nagasaki in 1945 - plus the decisions in the Cold War period up until 1952 US election, "THAT THE BUCK STOPS HERE". I mean Buckley must have had the final veto on whether a player is recruited or not whether it be from the Under 18's; from other clubs; from interstate; and/or even overseas recruits. I mean how long do we give this guy? Another 2 years or another 3 years or another 5 years or possibly even another 10 years in order to win that elusive premiership?

Finally, if there are people on this web site, who find Clarkson as a totally repugnant human being in terms of his historical behaviour on the football field and/or whilst coaching, well I could provide you with many, many separate anecdotes that cast great & successful coaches such as Ron Barassi, Kevin Sheedy, Leigh Matthews & Mick Malthouse in a far less-than-desrable light. I am 66 on August 15 & I have been watching Collingwood through the late 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 2000's & beyond up till the present time. So I think that I possess a very good knowledge of many of the events & personalities that characterised & dominated much of the above-mentioned decades. All I know is that I want premierships & so if we had to hire Attila the Hun or Genghis Khan or Erwin Rommel or Ho Chi Minh or Mao Tse Tung or even Ivan the Terrible to do so, then I would not have any problems from a purely footballing perspective. History does not recall or remember glorious defeats or closely-run Grand Final defeats or sustained injury lists or repetitive episodes of bad luck. What matters 100% is Premiership success. Ask poor old Bobby Rose & the players from his era such as Tuddy about the latter! Anyway, I am sure that I have unevitably upset many Collingwood supporters on this site, for better or for worse, but c'est la vie, I am much more concerned about a truthful & accurate & fearless assessment of the situation as it stand here in early August, 2020. Regardless, goodnight & good luck. Go Pies.

Its about flags. Bucks is dumb and it shows in his coaching, Clarko is smart and ruthless and gets results. MM was an a hole also, got results, Lethal was a thug when he played, got results. You pay a coach to win, not to tweet on social media about non footy issues and be a nice guy. There is a reason most of the best coaches were dirty bastards on the field. Odd exception but the vast majority, ruthless. Mathews, Sheedy, Clarko, Hafey, Malthouse, Barrassi. The non thugs were very smart, Parkin, Blight, Thompson (until he lost the plot on drugs).

You happy losing?

It's feral.

I just don't think he can lead us to a flag. Some of its not his fault, especially early when he was dealt the s**t sandwich that was the succession plan but he just lacks the footy smarts and level of ruthlessness to flag IMO. Hope I am wrong.

I just don't think he can lead us to a flag. Some of its not his fault, especially early when he was dealt the sh*t sandwich that was the succession plan but he just lacks the footy smarts and level of ruthlessness to flag IMO. Hope I am wrong.

Watching the side this year I got that hollow feeling in the pit of my gut that this group has gone as far as it will go. Our inability to put sides away and to remain on top over 4 quarters, the gaps in our list, the stupidity of the players, and the rotten luck with injuries. It might be time for a new start.

I like Nathan Buckley the player, coach, and person so on that we are on opposite sides of this debate. I see him as a smart man that could be classified as too rigid in his decisions (Dan Andrews is similar in a sense).

We both want the club to win more fn flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the side this year I got that hollow feeling in the pit of my gut that this group has gone as far as it will go. Our inability to put sides away and to remain on top over 4 quarters, the gaps in our list, the stupidity of the players, and the rotten luck with injuries. It might be time for a new start.

I like Nathan Buckley the player, coach, and person so on that we are on opposite sides of this debate. I see him as a smart man that could be classified as too rigid in his decisions (Dan Andrews is similar in a sense).

We both want the club to win more fn flags.

What I don't get is that in 2018 we played some really exciting, fast moving footy but have gone back to this slow, defensive game plan that just does not get the job done. We simply do not score enough and some of that is lack of a true tall target up forward but fast movement generally helps under sized forwards.

Its about flags. Bucks is dumb and it shows in his coaching, Clarko is smart and ruthless and gets results. MM was an a hole also, got results, Lethal was a thug when he played, got results. You pay a coach to win, not to tweet on social media about non footy issues and be a nice guy. There is a reason most of the best coaches were dirty bastards on the field. Odd exception but the vast majority, ruthless. Mathews, Sheedy, Clarko, Hafey, Malthouse, Barrassi. The non thugs were very smart, Parkin, Blight, Thompson (until he lost the plot on drugs).

You happy losing?

If you seriously believe Buckley doesn’t have the intellect of the other Coaches then your depth of hate for him surpasses your ability to have an objective view. Even the most staunchest “haters” have never made this claim.
And this is clearly opportunism based on the recent transgression, because his IQ has never been a problem for YOU before.
So your arguments are clearly transparent- to bag his intellect because bagging his coaching doesn’t work given the teams clear improvement in the last 2 years.

At least be honest and admit you don’t like him, rather than use vacuous and baseless claims in an attempt to build a case against him.

For the love of God, can we please get rid of this idiot. He never won a premiership as a player and will never ever win one as a coach.

The guy is clueless. Had a s**t gameplan for 6 years and then went to a somewhat winning one in 2018. Then instead of fine tuning that, the f**kwit went back to the s**t gameplan again since.

He is a brainless twat.

For the love of God, can we please get rid of this idiot. He never won a premiership as a player and will never ever win one as a coach.

The guy is clueless. Had a sh*t gameplan for 6 years and then went to a somewhat winning one in 2018. Then instead of fine tuning that, the f**kwit went back to the sh*t gameplan again since.

He is a brainless twat.
Hard to argue with any of that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back