Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Ela re agapi mou.. Pep is a ******* genius man. Tactics. Management. Super charismatic and passionate. The bloke does not sleep he loves the game that much. You can't sit at a table at the Vue de Monde or on a beach towel in Mykonos without this bloke wanting to wax lyrical with ya about football the entire time.

Brother, there's no doubt the bloke can coach, but he has chosen his managerial assignments expertly. Klopp cut his teeth at Dortmund, becoming German champions. Jose won the champions league with Porto.. Porto! Wenger and Ferguson built dynasties from the ground up. Pep started his coaching career at Barca, with the second best player in the world and a fantastic squad. His city team has a bench full of guys who'd probably be starting 11 at most clubs and still lost the premier league by 20 points.

Brother, there's no doubt the bloke can coach, but he has chosen his managerial assignments expertly. Klopp cut his teeth at Dortmund, becoming German champions. Jose won the champions league with Porto.. Porto! Wenger and Ferguson built dynasties from the ground up. Pep started his coaching career at Barca, with the second best player in the world and a fantastic squad. His city team has a bench full of guys who'd probably be starting 11 at most clubs and still lost the premier league by 20 points.

Oh God.. would you like me to analyze this for you.. have a close look at it please..

20200801_160309.jpg

While you're at it.. can you please remind the bloke that gave you a 'like' who Man City lost the premier league by 20 points to..

Thanking you in advance.

The final nail in the coffin..

20200801_162719.jpg
I rest my case.

Buckley out coached Clarkson a few weeks ago - and tarnished him with his lowest score ever.
Clarkson couldn’t find a way to beat a team that only plays 1 QTR.
Just saying.,.

Sometimes you just don’t have the cattle available

2 wins from 13 attempts definitely suggest Clarkson is a far superior coach with the wood on Buckley

Was getting there.. perhaps the club should spend a cool $1mil for Bucks to spend the day with Kloppo.. Pep.. money spent wisely.
I don't even know or care to know what Klopp is.

Any talk about the prima donna game and I go deaf.

Last edited:
I don't think Thomas is the greatest player to ever put leather on the pill.. but I do think he's unassumingly quite a dangerous player He's another player I've rarely posted a bad word about. He's been hung out to dry.

Thomas was drafted as a midfielder but stamped himself as a dangerous small forward in 2018. That form hasn't continued in the forward line but there are too many ahead of him in our midfield queue unfortunately.

He's low on form and confidence. If he is given a chance anywhere else I'd bet he gets midfield minutes and more of a chance to show his fast clean hands.

Oh God.. would you like me to analyze this for you.. have a close look at it please..

View attachment 924752

You know why I love these debates? Because there's no right or wrong and true objectivity is often lost in what constitutes greatness. And i am enjoying this. But in the interest of continuing:

Let's throw the domestic cups out the window. Being able to belt celta vigo or fortuna dusseldorf when your team is filled with the likes of Messi and Ribery isnt about to impress me. F.A Cup, Carabao, Johnston's Paint Trophy.. they're all the same empty titles. Domestic Champions and Champions League are all that matter at the top tier.

The domestic titles, fantastic result obviously, gotta give credit where its due. That initial run with Barca was special and they were by far and away the best team in the world. This is the core of the "Pep is amazing" argument: 3 titles and 2 UCLs is phenomenal. But this was 9 years ago, around the same time when Chris Scott won his last (and only) premiership. And you don't hear anyone talking about that any more.

But thats where the true excellence of Pep really ends. He goes to Bayern, a club who dominates the Bumdesliga without breaking a sweat. You could play the youth team and win against the bottom 6. No champions league wins, despite an exceptional list filled with players in their prime.

Now we come to City, in a league that is genuinely competitive from top to bottom. The 100 point season was great, as was the domestic treble (but who cares about domestic trophies). Although when your club can sign everyone under the sun (and breach uefa protocols without punishment), and your bench contains the likes of Riyad Mahrez I think you're playing with loaded dice. His failures in Europe over this period have been catastrophic. The inability to win a champions league with the list he has and an open cheque book is an enormous blemish.

Wenger and Ferguson built dynasties from the ground up. Jose has won the UCL with three different teams in three different leagues. These guys are legends! I'm not saying that Pep isn't great, all I'm saying is he's had a lot of help to achieve less than the all time legends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thomas was drafted as a midfielder but stamped himself as a dangerous small forward in 2018. That form hasn't continued in the forward line but there are too many ahead of him in our midfield queue unfortunately.

He's low on form and confidence. If he is given a chance anywhere else I'd bet he gets midfield minutes and more of a chance to show his fast clean hands.

He'd be better than Wills RIGHT NOW.

He’s not perfect, but he has gotten more right than wrong this season, and over the past 2 seasons.

Would love for him to be able to orchestrate a massive recovery of multiple key players being out, but that’s Shangri-la stuff. Plus we have one of the weakest lists of KPF’s in the league, which I admit he needs to take partial blame for.

before calling for his head though, who do people suggest replaces him... who is or who realistically, will be available? If you can’t come up with a better option, the topic is virtually redundant

You know why I love these debates? Because there's no right or wrong and true objectivity is often lost in what constitutes greatness. And i am enjoying this. But in the interest of continuing:

Let's throw the domestic cups out the window. Being able to belt celta vigo or fortuna dusseldorf when your team is filled with the likes of Messi and Ribery isnt about to impress me. F.A Cup, Carabao, Johnston's Paint Trophy.. they're all the same empty titles. Domestic Champions and Champions League are all that matter at the top tier.

The domestic titles, fantastic result obviously, gotta give credit where its due. That initial run with Barca was special and they were by far and away the best team in the world. This is the core of the "Pep is amazing" argument: 3 titles and 2 UCLs is phenomenal. But this was 9 years ago, around the same time when Chris Scott won his last (and only) premiership. And you don't hear anyone talking about that any more.

But thats where the true excellence of Pep really ends. He goes to Bayern, a club who dominates the Bumdesliga without breaking a sweat. You could play the youth team and win against the bottom 6. No champions league wins, despite an exceptional list filled with players in their prime.

Now we come to City, in a league that is genuinely competitive from top to bottom. The 100 point season was great, as was the domestic treble (but who cares about domestic trophies). Although when your club can sign everyone under the sun (and breach uefa protocols without punishment), and your bench contains the likes of Riyad Mahrez I think you're playing with loaded dice. His failures in Europe over this period have been catastrophic. The inability to win a champions league with the list he has and an open cheque book is an enormous blemish.

Wenger and Ferguson built dynasties from the ground up. Jose has won the UCL with three different teams in three different leagues. These guys are legends! I'm not saying that Pep isn't great, all I'm saying is he's had a lot of help to achieve less than the all time legends.

Look I'll keep it brief for the sake of others who think the real football is a backwater sport..

Since 2008.. he has won 8 out of 10 league titles.. so to compare him to Scott is ridiculous.. and to do it across 3 leagues.. is pure genius.. from one country culture dressing room style of play to another..

Buckley took over a gf side.. not unlike the one's Pep inhereted and lost a lot of the players. Pep managed to get blokes to eat nails for him as soon as he walked into the joint.. 3 diff dressing rooms.. 8 premierships in 10 yrs re. And a s**t load of other cups.. and please.. Bayern Munich yes they have won champions leagues.. but to expect em to do it on a regular basis.. that's ridiculous re.

I'd love to go on.. but you know..

He’s not perfect, but he has gotten more right than wrong this season, and over the past 2 seasons.

Would love for him to be able to orchestrate a massive recovery of multiple key players being out, but that’s Shangri-la stuff. Plus we have one of the weakest lists of KPF’s in the league, which I admit he needs to take partial blame for.

before calling for his head though, who do people suggest replaces him... who is or who realistically, will be available? If you can’t come up with a better option, the topic is virtually redundant

Big Nathan isnt getting the sack this year, no coach will be. Except Goodwin of course, but Melbourne are irrelevant so who cares. However I imagine that if we don't salute this year, the heat will be on Bucks again in 2021.

As for replacements when the time comes, it'll depend who's available and what the list looks like at the time. You always want the best, so I'd always look at Clarko. Bevo would be interesting. Choco? But thats purely because as a word Choco goes well with Bevo and Clarko.

Look I'll keep it brief for the sake of others who think the real football is a backwater sport..

Since 2008.. he has won 8 out of 10 league titles.. so to compare him to Scott is ridiculous.. and to do it across 3 leagues.. is pure genius.. from one country culture dressing room style of play to another..

Buckley took over a gf side.. not unlike the one's Pep inhereted and lost a lot of the players. Pep managed to get blokes to eat nails for him as soon as he walked into the joint.. 3 diff dressing rooms.. 8 premierships in 10 yrs re. And a sh*t load of other cups.. and please.. Bayern Munich yes they have won champions leagues.. but to expect em to do it on a regular basis.. that's ridiculous re.

I'd love to go on.. but you know..

I love the conversation, let's continue it somewhere down the line. My teams back in the Premier League for the first time in 16 years, I'm just excited for it all to get started.

I love the conversation, let's continue it somewhere down the line. My teams back in the Premier League for the first time in 16 years, I'm just excited for it all to get started.

Leeds?

Ummmmm Buckley should shave his goatee for game days.. might help.. or dye it using l'oreal's brilliant moustache and beard color.

Look I'd love to run a poll 'cast your vote' thingymagigy to see who won the argument.. but you'll get a lot of biased votes considering there's a fair few that are pissed off I won the cooking comp..

But you and I know who won the argument.

Been a pleasure educating you.

Knowledge is power.

Pick my brains next epl season and you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more.

Go Buckley!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back