List Mgmt. 2020 Trade/FA TARGETS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade hypotheticals and discussion of how you think or want a trade to happen go here - 2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread.

If you want to talk about a current Hawthorn player and if they’re staying on the list, it goes here - Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Trade/FA targets thread is for discussion of News about players we are to target via trade of FA. It’s not for “Kane Cornes says we should get this player”.

If lists are cut there's a good chance we pick up Cox as a DFA if we're interested. I think his skills are better suited as a small forward especially for our list. Reminds me of Impey and that was a great acquisition. He's just stuck behind really strong small forward and running defender stocks as Brisbane.
We must be cutting back our list quite strong if we are looking at players who can’t get a game at other clubs

If list sizes are cut back we cant pick guys as cover

Will Day is a very exciting young player, and was a high end draft pick

This is what I think we should be looking at doing end of the year, 2 decent picks before picking Downie

We must be cutting back our list quite strong if we are looking at players who can’t get a game at other clubs

This is what I think we should be looking at doing end of the year, 2 decent picks before picking Downie
I agree with this but Cox could be a decent wing option too. That's where I see him playing his best footy, and whether it be Phillips from Collingwood or Cox from Brisbane, we absolutely need to address it in both a short and long term.

CJ and pepper both have potential to fill the spot. Both have the athletic tools and intent - but just need time and experience.
I can almost guarantee that neither of them will be half as good as laird has been. There’s a reason every club passed on these guys 7+ times over the course of the draft and rookie draft

Sam Frost plays a lot smaller than people have realised just yet, and has been outstanding covering for Stratton before the Carlton game. Also Laird isn't really a defending defender either, so it's not like he'd be doing that job.
Sam frosts amazing but he’s gonna need to play tall With frawley winding down. Most of the best teams have multiple small forwards these days. I think laird does both, he’s a good one on one player that can rebound. He was unbelievable for 3/4 years

Sam frosts amazing but he’s gonna need to play tall With frawley winding down. Most of the best teams have multiple small forwards these days. I think laird does both, he’s a good one on one player that can rebound. He was unbelievable for 3/4 years
No doubt he's quality. But they'd want a first rounder. And I'm not willing to cough that up for a 27 year old with the age profile of our list.

No doubt he's quality. But they'd want a first rounder. And I'm not willing to cough that up for a 27 year old with the age profile of our list.
Yeah definitely not our first rounder. But I think there’d be a way to get it done without it, wether it be a 2nd this year and next I don’t know. I’m just a little bit wary of going full rebuild when our core is supposed to be at its prime. The guys we draft effectively won’t be making a big difference at afl level for 3-4 years and by that time our better players will be gone or in their thirties

I like the sound of some of these players - but I'd much prefer we try and trade WBD's first rounder and go with two firsts and potentially a second (unless if it's used to acquire WBD's first) and stack points for Downie.

Losing Laird as a free agent next year is vastly better than two middling second rounders for Adelaide. If you're prying him out it's going to cost more than our first this year. Definitely won't be a clearance sale
Yeah if it’s going to cost our first this year it’s clearly a no deal. Hopefully we don’t need him cause we land Williams. Can only dream

Yeah definitely not our first rounder. But I think there’d be a way to get it done without it, wether it be a 2nd this year and next I don’t know. I’m just a little bit wary of going full rebuild when our core is supposed to be at its prime. The guys we draft effectively won’t be making a big difference at afl level for 3-4 years and by that time our better players will be gone or in their thirties
High picks can definitely have an immediate impact
Look at Port as an example

Even though it’s very early, Day seems to be making an impact, where as lower picks like Jones and Morris for example are brought in for a taste with not too much expected of them

We have a fairly decent core atm, but it needs to be bolstered by high end picks, both this year and next

Skillful talented kids bring excitement and enthusiasm that can light a fire in the older more established players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t even be using the North 2nd rounder on Laird. We need to back our recruiters to hit on at least 2 kids in this upcoming draft. If we can manage to do that and still get Downie then IMO the age profile takes a huge step in the right direction.

IMO guys in that 25-27 age bracket like Mitchell, Wingard etc will just have to wait for the cavalry to arrive. Plans change all the time and if you don’t change on the fly due to unforeseen circumstances (ie injuries / fluffing in FA etc) then sometimes you can make silly decisions and make things worse.

I wouldn’t even be using the North 2nd rounder on Laird. We need to back our recruiters to hit on at least 2 kids in this upcoming draft. If we can manage to do that and still get Downie then IMO the age profile takes a huge step in the right direction.

IMO guys in that 25-27 age bracket like Mitchell, Wingard etc will just have to wait for the cavalry to arrive. Plans change all the time and if you don’t change on the fly due to unforeseen circumstances (ie injuries / fluffing in FA etc) then sometimes you can make silly decisions and make things worse.
Honestly the chance of getting someone as good as Laird with a 2nd round pick in a heavily compromised draft is incredibly unlikely. I would give that 2nd up in a heart beat but Adelaide would want a lot more.

Thing to remember about a highlights package is the player always looks good in them.
The fact he’s a 2 time all aus, probably been in the squad 4 times aswell probably says enough about him. I’ve watched him enough to have a fair idea on what sort of player he is. As far as our recruiting goes, we probably have a 30% strike rate at best with our picks around the 20-30 mark. And none of the players around that mark have turned out to be guns

Really doesn’t fit a need? We’ve had trouble with small forwards all year. As much as we hang sh*t on Stratton, he’s done all the big jobs over the years, when he’s done we will literally have hardwick as our only small defender. I like hardwick as a player but I’ve seen a few small forwards get a hold of him over the years.
He doesn't fit a need though, he's actually a horrible defender. There's a reason he wasn't/isn't liked amongst the defenders at Adelaide. Sure he attacks a lot, but he is definitely not someone who could replace Stratton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back