List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I would be happy with Ben Brown.
A poster on the D+T board has stated that we have ‘gone in hard for Ben Brown’ and that if we don’t get an answer by the time we play North then we will work on other areas. He is having a drop off this season for whatever reason. At the end of the day if the club turned around and said we have traded in a 60+ goal FF I reckon we would be ecstatic.

Ruck, full-forward and running HBF are our only real areas of need. Anything else is a waste.
It will be interesting to watch how Big O goes over the next 5/6 weeks as our number 1 ruck. At the end of it we might have our ruck already on our list. One thing is for sure we don’t have ruck depth so possibly draft one.

In regards to Williams I have softened. Do you pay a premium for such a position? I’m not too sure about that. If the club envisioned him playing in the midfield then I would rethink it.
Doubt we will get a full forward, at least a good one. another elite mid would be handy too, especially if Zorko will spend more time up forward as he gets older.
I wouldn’t mind another mid but we are quite covered there IMO. The thinking behind Walters was that it could free up others to play more midfield minutes next year such as Rayner, Cameron, Linc and Walters.

I would love to add Michael Walters. Absolute gun and one of my favourite non-Lions players. Cameron and Walters in the same forward line would be insane.

Which one would you choose lionshine? Zac Williams // Josh Kelly // Michael Walters?

Ben Brown makes sense if Martin retires and big O Assumes number 1 Ruck . Having Brown , hippy and Mcstay up forward with McCarthy , Cameron , Zorko and Rayner crumbing would be a defenders nightmare .
I feel like that would get the best out of all three talls. Brown around the square for leading, Hipwood and McStay further up the ground to take advantage of their contested ball, with Hipwood on a flank and McStay at CHF running back into the centre of the ground.

Some might reckon that's too tall a forward line for the modern game, but GWS makes it work, and the small brigade is elite.

Ben Brown makes sense if Martin retires and big O Assumes number 1 Ruck . Having Brown , Skinner and Ballenden up forward with McCarthy , Cameron , Zorko and Rayner crumbing would be a defenders nightmare .
EFA :)

Surely there wouldn’t be any comparison salary wise? Would there?
200.gif

Brown has been very good the last few years although he has dropped off the cliff this year but yer you would think Cameron would be more $$$$$

Ruck, full-forward and running HBF are our only real areas of need. Anything else is a waste.
I agree. For a ruck, assuming we can't get an established first string ruck in the right age bracket (which seems unlikely), I'd really chase a couple of promising youngsters in their 3rd/4th year stuck behind an established ruck combo. Someone like a Lloyd Meek or Tom De Koning would be a reluctant trade by their clubs but both are stuck behind more established rucks.

For a key forward, my preference would be someone with better contested marking than Ben Brown. He's very one-dimensional but there's no question that one trick is a very good one. Is it translatable to our gameplan? I don't think so. So we'd have to adjust our ball movement (not necessarily a bad thing) or hope that Brown can play and thrive in a different system (which is a risk). One of the things I didn't realise is how much of a factor the Docklands ground is for Brown. Every bag he kicked last year occurred at Marvel. That suggests to me that he's really well suited to games where the ball zings up and back and space is available, as opposed to games where the key forwards tend to provide a more static target in more contested situations.

Ben brown has a heap going on in his life at the moment. It was a mutual decision to not play on the weekend.
He won’t be leaving Victoria I would have thought. Not the type of player we need anyway! Get as a running hb!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was some discussion on the airwaves that Melbourne might look to offload one of it lumbering midfielders for some more outside zip and Clayton Oliver's name came up a few times. Just wonder if we'd be interested, would cost a bit I imagine.

There was some discussion on the airwaves that Melbourne might look to offload one of it lumbering midfielders for some more outside zip and Clayton Oliver's name came up a few times. Just wonder if we'd be interested, would cost a bit I imagine.
Oliver doesnt really have more zip though does he? I mean Melbourne have way too many inside mids and should trade one of them but that one is a bit strange

Melbourne's over abundance of big mid's, including some kid's being held out. Like I said it's mostly speculation on where Melbourne needs to go with their list but could be an opportunity. Just wondering if we could do with an upgrade on Matho or maybe be part of a reshuffle if Mitch drops off the pace, or to allow Zork to go forward more. When you are a premiership favorite and likely smaller lists next year you can go fishing!

Clayton Oliver has been ordinary this season but at the right price he would just about round off our inside brigade for the next 6-7 years, he has some great weapons which Fagan would know how to utilise best, I'm sure we could tidy up his kicking as well. I'd have no hesitation handing over a 1st rounder for him.

I'd take Oliver in a heartbeat. Screams out as someone not developing due to their system more than anything. I'd back Fagan and co to get the best out of him.
Totally. Knows how to get it but looks a bit lost in the execution and where to put it.

He'd have to change his haircut though.

I’ve never seen a player like Oliver, who has almost every elite attribute that you’d want in a player and then a single critical weakness which undermines all the positives. His kicking is deplorable and seems to be getting worse. Even so, he’s an exceptional footballer worth a lot to any club.

Notwithstanding that, Oliver would demand a massive salary and we’ve already got a fair bit of our cap tied up in an inside mid, with several other mids in line for a significant contract upgrade in coming years. I’m a big believer in investing evenly across all lines and think we’ve got a lot of cash tied up in the midfield already. Putting another $800K mid on the list seems like a luxury the salary cap probably won’t allow.

Anyone have any thoughts on Darcy Fogarty? Seems like he hasn't had a great run at it in Adelaide but has looked pretty strong when he has played. Haven't seen whether he could maybe play second ruck or anything, might be a question for whoever has watched since his draft year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back