List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I’ve never seen a player like Oliver, who has almost every elite attribute that you’d want in a player and then a single critical weakness which undermines all the positives. His kicking is deplorable and seems to be getting worse. Even so, he’s an exceptional footballer worth a lot to any club.

Notwithstanding that, Oliver would demand a massive salary and we’ve already got a fair bit of our cap tied up in an inside mid, with several other mids in line for a significant contract upgrade in coming years. I’m a big believer in investing evenly across all lines and think we’ve got a lot of cash tied up in the midfield already. Putting another $800K mid on the list seems like a luxury the salary cap probably won’t allow.

Agree with this. Seems like a luxury. Would be nice to have another tanky contested ball winner... but the money for him probably isn't worth it. Id say with us bringing in the likes of CEY our list management probably agrees. You don't need a deep deep list of elite ball winners. You need a couple of really good ones and then suppliment them with guys that have some weaknesses you can work around.

Id rather try spend that money on better quality on another line as well.

Also have to agree with the comments about Brown probably not being a great fit. If we were going after a forward, i would want someone with better contested marking ability as both Hippy and McStay aren't the best with contested marking. McStay can fly and get hands but doesn't pull them down. Those 2 however i think play their best footy when they are getting up the ground a bit more and getting some marks up on the wings. The are good on the move. I can't see our game style going to a point where we anchor a big body deep, however someone that could clunk some marks would have a big impact with how we do move the ball. Big O is so good for us up forward because he is the 1 tall that does take a few grabs up forward nearly every game. Especially if he ends up as #1 ruck, we will need a replacement for him.

Brown works a lot better out on the lead with the ball coming in fast. His advantage is that he can go in the ruck and be that forward/ruck position. Just not sure he would be the right tools for the price tag though.

Melbourne's over abundance of big mid's, including some kid's being held out. Like I said it's mostly speculation on where Melbourne needs to go with their list but could be an opportunity. Just wondering if we could do with an upgrade on Matho or maybe be part of a reshuffle if Mitch drops off the pace, or to allow Zork to go forward more. When you are a premiership favorite and likely smaller lists next year you can go fishing!
We also have plenty of our list signed for next year so we don’t have the flexibility of some clubs. Can’t just delist contracted players left and right to make room along with our 2 first rounders next year at a minimum.

Anyone have any thoughts on Darcy Fogarty? Seems like he hasn't had a great run at it in Adelaide but has looked pretty strong when he has played. Haven't seen whether he could maybe play second ruck or anything, might be a question for whoever has watched since his draft year.
Not sure at 6’4 he’s 2nd ruck size. Looks okay but let’s be honest with Adelaide being a basket case it’s hard to develop

Also have to agree with the comments about Brown probably not being a great fit. If we were going after a forward, i would want someone with better contested marking ability as both Hippy and McStay aren't the best with contested marking. McStay can fly and get hands but doesn't pull them down. Those 2 however i think play their best footy when they are getting up the ground a bit more and getting some marks up on the wings. The are good on the move. I can't see our game style going to a point where we anchor a big body deep, however someone that could clunk some marks would have a big impact with how we do move the ball. Big O is so good for us up forward because he is the 1 tall that does take a few grabs up forward nearly every game. Especially if he ends up as #1 ruck, we will need a replacement for him.

Brown works a lot better out on the lead with the ball coming in fast. His advantage is that he can go in the ruck and be that forward/ruck position. Just not sure he would be the right tools for the price tag though.
I don’t understand the narrative that McStay can’t take a contested mark. Was 7th in the AFL last year and close to top 10 this year.

Brown is too soft to be a ruck option, flops and falls over half the time in forward ruck contests.

Anyone have any thoughts on Darcy Fogarty? Seems like he hasn't had a great run at it in Adelaide but has looked pretty strong when he has played. Haven't seen whether he could maybe play second ruck or anything, might be a question for whoever has watched since his draft year.
I think that whoever they recruit needs to be an elite talent for their position. We have every position covered so anyone introduced needs to be a better player than we already have. May need a ruckman but that depends on how Ballenden develops, an outside midfielder? A key forward probably but I don’t think Darcy Fogarty is the answer. Adelaide have a few elite older players that may be worthwhile?

Agree with this. Seems like a luxury. Would be nice to have another tanky contested ball winner... but the money for him probably isn't worth it. Id say with us bringing in the likes of CEY our list management probably agrees. You don't need a deep deep list of elite ball winners. You need a couple of really good ones and then suppliment them with guys that have some weaknesses you can work around.

Id rather try spend that money on better quality on another line as well.

Yep, I'd be keen on Walters instead as he would be perfect for our forward line next to Charlie. He's a proven goal kicker, clutch player and can add to the number of forwards who can attend center bounce if needed - Rayner / McCarthy / Walters. We'll have too many weapons at our disposal and both clearances + goals could come from anywhere.

Walter's would be a good fit for our forward line. Problem is Freo would be asking for a 1st round pick for Walter's, since he's contracted till 2022. I would love to have Walter's at the club, but not for a 1st round pick for a 31 year old. Maybe if we trade Adam's and Cox fir Walter's, then I would trade for him.
Yep, I'd be keen on Walters instead as he would be perfect for our forward line next to Charlie. He's a proven goal kicker, clutch player and can add to the number of forwards who can attend center bounce if needed - Rayner / McCarthy / Walters. We'll have too many weapons at our disposal and both clearances + goals could come from anywhere.

On SM-J810Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good luck getting him away from his family in Perth.
True, however Brisbane is similar to Perth in that it is relaxed and laid back. If he is happy playing footy and earning a pay check then maybe he is happy to stay. However, move away for 3/4 yrs for a chance to win a premiership?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to know why signing Ben Brown is a good idea, look no further than the game against Richmond. For all his lack of contested marking ability, Brown can at least kick straight.
How often do forwards get uncontested marks against Richmond in the first place though...?

How often do forwards get uncontested marks against Richmond in the first place though...?
I honestly believe part of that is down to our style of football.

We look like we make it so hard on ourselves when moving the ball forward.

Where as Richmond do it so easy, especially against teams that play a zone defence.

With McStay I was watching him try to mark and it looked to me that he was not trying to mark but trying to get the ball to the Lions Smalls so they can try to pick the ball up for a snap. This way McStay does not have to try to kick for goal at all. I don’t know whether this is a deliberate tactic or he genuinely does not want to kick for goal. McStay is a great link player and feeds off the ball very quickly but for obvious reasons does not like to mark and kick the ball.

I agree we shouldn't be chasing any non-elite full forwards. Ben Brown is a flopping one dimensional player the comp has worked out and his output has dipped horrendously. Umps have stopped paying him 4 frees a game that are usually never there. The well has dried up and he has been exposed. There aren't many elite players out there. I'd be chasing Cameron too but he has a steep history with us when he cleaned up Andrews. He's dirty but hes elite and he would thrive in our system at full forward... what's he worth 5 years $4.5m ??? If we can't get him we go to the draft because there is not much out there. Hipwood works much better as the 2nd deep tall. Still love Hippy but hes not the man to hold FF down.

With McStay I was watching him try to mark and it looked to me that he was not trying to mark but trying to get the ball to the Lions Smalls so they can try to pick the ball up for a snap. This way McStay does not have to try to kick for goal at all. I don’t know whether this is a deliberate tactic or he genuinely does not want to kick for goal. McStay is a great link player and feeds off the ball very quickly but for obvious reasons does not like to mark and kick the ball.
Sorry but do you watch the Lions games? McStay was 7th for contested marks last year and sits just outside the top 10 this year.

To say he doesn't like to mark is like saying people don't make inane comments on BigFooty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back