Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

33 and 8 clearances, both game high, and was the highest rated player on the ground...
A knock-out final v 2018 Premiers, 33 possessions, 8 clearances, 5 tackles, 7 marks
We won.
He was close to BOG.

And you get that maybe once every few years from him. Where is he the other 20 odd games a year? For a player at his experience level he is wildly inconsistent.

High ceiling and low floor. Just see the low floor 90% of the time.

And you get that maybe once every few years from him. Where is he the other 20 odd games a year? For a player at his experience level he is wildly inconsistent.

A short step from injecting himself into the contest.

Completely agree, all I was pointing at was he was probably our best performed finals player.
The biggest issue with Cam is showing that consistently, if he could he'd be a very solid B+ to A player, his best is very good, we just don't see it enough.

Completely agree, all I was pointing at was he was probably our best performed finals player.
The biggest issue with Cam is showing that consistently, if he could he'd be a very solid B+ to A player, his best is very good, we just don't see it enough.

That's the perfect summary. We saw it against West Coast.

f3a4c50ca97dc8c92d0e5eeee09fb412.jpg

Clubhouse leader you'd think at (roughly) the halfway mark of the season.

f3a4c50ca97dc8c92d0e5eeee09fb412.jpg

Clubhouse leader you'd think at (roughly) the halfway mark of the season.
Definitely my pick so far.
He looks so balanced and assured this year. I suspect he was carrying injuries last few years.
An A grader for sure now.

One thing I really have to mention - I honestly wish we went to the draft all those years ago. We have zero depth, no good kids in our team at all. And those we have are so poorly developed that when they end up in our team they just hide away on the field and may as well be on the bench. Terrible. When our aging stars finish up in the next few years we are in for a very rude awakening.

And we never should have stuck with D graders Guthrie or Menegola. Should have traded them out for maybe pick 65 or so.

If only we properly bottomed out like teams like Melbourne and North who are now really reaping the fruits of making tough decisions and dropping down the ladder.

:drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would have to be leading the Carji pretty comfortably. Gotta admit I had his papers stamped a couple of season ago but he’s playing out of his skin atm. The way Guth and Menegola have stepped up this year has been a massive boost for our flag aspirations.

How has it taken him so long to find this consistent form? Bringing it every game now. May it long continue.
Playing as an attacking midfielder week after week helps - previously we've seen him used as a makeshift tagger, thrown into defence, played deep in the forward line etc

This season he seems to be playing in the engine room, and occasionally running with an opposition key midfielder but not too the point of sacrificing his game

We need to keep this Guthrie

Plays poor people say he's playing poorly
Starts playing awesome people say he's playing awesome.
Shock Horror!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got to be winning the B+F and has to be in the AA team thus far IMO.

I got Menegola the most consistent so far this season but Guthrie has put himself right back at the top after last night's performance.

Where's it come from?
Why the sudden consistency to his game? Perhaps Kelly was preventing him from taking over the reigns.

Again, never been any doubt about Guthrie's ability.
I hope he can play like this if we play finals.
If we had this kind of output from he and Menegola in the prelim last year, we may have gone through to the grand final.

I got Menegola the most consistent so far this season but Guthrie has put himself right back at the top after last night's performance.

Where's it come from?
Why the sudden consistency to his game? Perhaps Kelly was preventing him from taking over the reigns.

Again, never been any doubt about Guthrie's ability.
I hope he can play like this if we play finals.
If we had this kind of output from he and Menegola in the prelim last year, we may have gone through to the grand final.
I dunno. I know he's in his right position and he's always had talent.
But there's something else going on for sure.
He's even taking bloody one handed speckies!!!!!!

Playing as an attacking midfielder week after week helps - previously we've seen him used as a makeshift tagger, thrown into defence, played deep in the forward line etc

This season he seems to be playing in the engine room, and occasionally running with an opposition key midfielder but not too the point of sacrificing his game

We need to keep this Guthrie

More than makeshift, I think. He played the tagger role plenty in 2018-19 (while Kelly was with us). It was mentioned by Dangerfield, Selwood and Scott, but never taken in to account by those on the board who are so engrossed in Guthrie. I thought he did a decent job in that negating role. But he's been fantastic this year as a top-tier mid, covering the loss of Kelly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back