AFL Autopsy RND 12: Loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a difficult year to be trying to work on a new game plan. It does take a bit of work with the full squad and not groups of 2 or 6 like we had early in the year.
However effort is something you can bring every week.
Working harder and thinking smarter can also be done under any circumstances.
We have a side that is either full of the dumbest footballers to pull on a boot or they do not give a *.

Listening to the call on radio. Sounds like a lot of mucking about by hand and a real lack of run. Untidy inside fifty with few options (knew that).

Commentators saying Zerk actually got better as the game went on and urging the club to find a big inside mid.

How was my listening comprehension?
I'm not mad. We're s**t but we're also missing half a team and a lot of tall marking targets. I hope the coached are using this to learn who shouldn't be on the list. Someone mentioned McKenna going full Hollywood for no other reason than to showboat- I hate that. I'd drop him simply for that.

It is a difficult year to be trying to work on a new game plan. It does take a bit of work with the full squad and not groups of 2 or 6 like we had early in the year.
However effort is something you can bring every week.
Working harder and thinking smarter can also be done under any circumstances.
We have a side that is either full of the dumbest footballers to pull on a boot or they do not give a fu**.

Dont think it's a stretch to say that hub life doesnt work for everyone, we've seen ups & downs from several teams, not an excuse for effort though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the way we are wanting to play woosha .....what are the key learnings..... do we still have growth and whatever other bullshit you wanna spin.....

I actually think we did ok. Was expecting a lot worse.

That has to be the most inexperienced team we’ve had in years. Coming off a four day break I thought they’d be blown away at the end.

Parish and Langford best on for mine

yeah, we basically kept it level in the second half.

Today clearly showed that although we seem to be playing a game plan where we try to move the ball along wing, to give time for our defense to set-up (and kudos to Pearce and Hodge for attempting to explain to Taylor why we're doing the slow movement along the line. He didn't listen, mind) and all that, we simply don't compete in contested mark situations. We're the equal worst team in terms of average Contested Marks a game. Our rucks have taken 8 contested marks all season (not counting McKernan and Langford who have drifted into ruck contests and may have taken one while playing as a ruck) and Marshall/Ryder took 4 today. So it's all well and good to move the ball along the wing, given time to prepare our defense for a turnover, etc etc, but the down line kick is ending in disaster for us, we're not even getting the ball out, so that means from marks taken in the middle of the wing, we really only end up looking dangerous from them when we stuff up but maintain possession which opens up the game. It leads to the stalemate which we saw for most of the second half, but inevitably we will turn it over, whereas we're not able to force the turnover, so we'll end up losing the stalemate

We can't take a contested mark and keep handballing it cos we're afraid to kick. That's our problem.
True. Half as many marks inside 50 and just over 20% efficiency inside 50 with is half the season average over all clubs.

Would happily go in to this year's draft with 30 live picks
Seriously, why not? We have no player that is hands off, no matter what the offer is. We need to start again as a “new franchise” and try and reset the toxic culture off the club. Problem then is how compromised the draft is these days with priority picks (which we should be eligible for), academy/father son etc. Plus we’d screw it up anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back