NBA boycott games after Milwaukee Bucks boycott

Remove this Banner Ad

Bitterly disappointed that a couple of Celtics fans have raised their disapproval of this boycott/protest.

Are they not aware of what Bill Russell experienced and went through ?

Yes I was very excited and keen on our first ever playoff series against Toronto, but this transcends everything else right now.

Hopefully history will remember this a significant moment where law enforcement in the USA was forced to go through so much long overdue reform.

Bitterly disappointed that a couple of Celtics fans have raised their disapproval of this boycott/protest.

Yes I was very excited and keen on our first ever playoff series against Toronto, but this transcends everything else right now.

Hopefully history will remember this a significant moment where law enforcement in the USA was forced to go through so much long overdue reform.

Nothing in the link about celtic fans disapproving

Why is this such a big issue now?

'Why is racial justice such a big issue now?', he asked.

There's a fair bit in this, although it is neither an exclusive or exhaustive explanation.

Most of us are probably lucky enough that we don't have to live with the consequences of racial profiling at an institutional level. But then again most of us are probably lucky enough that we don't have jobs where we have to live by our wits lest that day at work be our last. Being a cop can be frightening too.

I'm personally inclined to think that the racial bias in law enforcement is of a certain type. In the majority of cases I don't believe it's perpetrated by men who go to Klan meetings and lust for lynchings. Far more likely to be an unconscious, intuitive fear - fear of harm, fear of the other, fear of the poor or desperate, sometimes just fear - rational or otherwise - in its purest form.

Getting rid of guns does not cure such institutional biases that exist. It doesn't stop racial profiling, and sure as hell won't make a dent in the larger historical/political/socio-economic issues which provide the context for the problem and the justifiable anger surrounding it.

It might mean however, that the consequences of the above are a lot less fatal. Seems to me to be a sensible place to at least start the conversation. However, I'm neither an African American nor a cop, so that's easy for me to say.

Don't like being a cop? Don't be a cop

Don't like being in a Black man in America? Don't be a Bla.....wait just a second.

Misleading given that 65% of the US population is white anyway.
The US 13% of the population is African American and they make up 28% of people killed by police.

The 72% of non African Americans killed by police is still a staggering large number of people killed by police.

in that picture I posted there is roughly 70 white people killed by police in the state of Wisconsin from 2013-2019.

Wisconsin has a population of 5.5 million. It has less people than the state of Victoria which has 6.6million. Do you think Victoria had 70 people killed by police from 2013-2019?

Wisconsin in 2019 had 19 people killed by police, that is just one state let alone the rest of America. The entire country of Australia which is 5 times bigger the Wisconsin had 4. More white people were killed in Wisconsin last year than all races killed in Australia.

The US has a problem of police killing all races and it’s mainly due to having more guns than people.

The US 13% of the population is African American and they make up 28% of people killed by police.

The 72% of non African Americans killed by police is still a staggering large number of people killed by police.

in that picture I posted there is roughly 70 white people killed by police in the state of Wisconsin from 2013-2019.

Wisconsin has a population of 5.5 million. It has less people than the state of Victoria which has 6.6million. Do you think Victoria had 70 people killed by police from 2013-2019?

Wisconsin in 2019 had 19 people killed by police, that is just one state let alone the rest of America. The entire country of Australia which is 5 times bigger the Wisconsin had 4. More white people were killed in Wisconsin last year than all races killed in Australia.

The US has a problem of police killing all races and it’s mainly due to having more guns than people.

according to the Mericans guns dont kill people, people do :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should have added a couple of Celtics fans on this board specifically seem to be against this protest/boycott.

Because it will achieve nothing.

Unless they stop being the Democrats Stockholm Syndrome slaves and start using their voting power to enact change nothing will change.

I mean how collectively thick can a group of people be to support a party 97% in a democratic society.

Especially when it was the party they support unquestioningly who in the 94 crime bill poured shitloads of money into building more jails and making policy that meant it was easier to lock up black men than under any previous administrations of the modern era.

Bill Clinton played a HUGE part in what is happening today. Yet you have these idiot NBA players coming out supporting the Democrats. How ignorant are they?

Joe Biden has been in power for 40 years, these career politicians are why the US is like it is today.

NBA players are such hypocrites.
They act like they are political are care about movements, but the second one of these movements might cost them a dollar, they shut up and claim they don't want to get involved.

You think this wont cost them a dollar?

You're kidding yourself right?

They're costing themselves millions.

Unless they stop being the Democrats Stockholm Syndrome slaves and start using their voting power to enact change nothing will change.

I mean how collectively thick can a group of people be to support a party 97% in a democratic society.

Especially when it was the party they support unquestioningly who in the 94 crime bill poured shitloads of money into building more jails and making policy that meant it was easier to lock up black men than under previous administration of the modern era.

Bill Clinto played a HUGE part in what is happening today. Yet you have these idiot NBA players coming out supporting the Democrats. How ignorant are they?

One party claims wrongly to represent everyone. (D)

The other party doesnt even pretend to care about a large portion of the population. (R)

I'll choose the one that the KKK, NRA, White Power arent associated with, thanks.

Its so utterly surprising that african americans arent supporting the party full of racists and hate mongers against their own people?

Especially when it was the party they support unquestioningly who in the 94 crime bill poured shitloads of money into building more jails and making policy that meant it was easier to lock up black men than under previous administration of the modern era.

Bill Clinto played a HUGE part in what is happening today. Yet you have these idiot NBA players coming out supporting the Democrats. How ignorant are they?

Surely a good portion of NBA players vote republican (two horse race)

When kids like that get shot for another 20 years, maybe someone will boycot.

You're so so good at missing the point.
20 years? It happens daily

2A7B40BF-0786-46D5-80AD-A834E3636656.jpeg

One party claims wrongly to represent everyone.

The other party doesnt even pretend to care about a large portion of the population.

Don't disagree.

The Democrats take black people for granted.

The Republicans have no way to get the black vote to shift so they don't even try to do anything.

Any black person who doesn't support the Democrats gets treated appalingly by other blacks.

I doubt that.

If 97% of black people vote Democrat and the majority of the league are black...

There's also rarely any black athletes who come out showing any support for Republicans because the vitriol and hate that comes their way will make them a pariah. So they keep quiet for the most part.

America’s issues run far deeper and are much harder to fix than just having a bunch of athletes stop playing and hoping they pressure the owners into somehow heavily influencing a broken system.

I have nothing against what the players stand for I just think them expecting their stance is going to enact some big generational type change is straight up dream type stuff. This is a country that couldn’t even agree to do anything in regards to guns when a lunatic gunned down a primary school for *s sake. It’s not a normal country. They can’t even agree to protect lives while a pandemic is on. The politicians will not give a s**t about this and America will move on and follow the NFL or MLB in the meantime.

The NBA being gone for a while isn’t some horrific tide turning thing like the players seem to think it is.

Don't disagree.

The Democrats take black people for granted.

The Republicans have no way to get the black vote to shift so they don't even try to do anything.

Any black person who doesn't support the Democrats gets treated appalingly by other blacks.

The Dems use black people, but then again they also do more for them than the Republicans (especially Trump).

I can see them supporting Republicans in normal times, but I dont see why any logical man or woman of colour would support him.

Only about 35% of the country vote republican anyway. (voluntary voting).
The electoral college system and gerrymandering means that can be enough to win the presidential election.

Given 95%+ african americans vote blue I'd say no, not many would.
That and the white people who are associated with the african american nba community would become empathetic generally, moreso than a southerner who never meets an african ameriacn person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back