Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

catscollector what did you think of the game?? Or are we going to be discussing only footy games from 7-9 years ago??

He doesn't want to discuss that because Scott had,yet another, very good day...completely out coaching Bevo, and calmly redressed the issues at hand by quarter time.

Only in 1931 and 1979 have Geelong managed what they did today, but this "supporter" wants to argue nebulous issues surrounding 2011 that players of that team have clearly stated they would not have won 2011 but for Scott's arrival ....that, rather than embracing a superb effort from a determined group of players who refused to concede and believed in themselves.

Today, Geelong confirmed they are a genuine chance this year. They are showing traits necessary for success. There are a number of threats no doubt. but it would be churlish to say that Geelong is not one of them.

Last edited:

Imagine being that obsessed with the past that you can't enjoy the present.

None of us are happy about how we've performed in the finals over recent seasons. But what good does it to continue to harp on about it? Each season is different, the players are different, the circumstances are different. Enjoy and appreciate watching PFD at his peak, enjoy watching the development of Mark O'Connor from raw Irish recruit, afraid to kick the ball, to ultra-consistent and reliable defender with excellent skills on both sides of his body. Enjoy the career season Tom Hawkins is having. Enjoy the manic attack on the man and ball of Gary Rohan. Enjoy the elevation of Cam Guthrie from an inconsistent tease to a bonafide A-grade midfielder.

If you can't enjoy watching side currently sitting on top of the ladder, heading for their 13th finals series from the past 14 years, full of players apparently too old, written off each season only to prove their many detractors wrong, then maybe it's time to give the game away.

He doesn't want to discuss that because Scott had,yet another, very good day...completely out coaching Bevo, and calmly redressed the issues at hand by quarter time.

Only in 1931 and 1979 have Geelong managed what they did today, but this "supporter" wants to argue nebulous issues surrounding 2011 that players of that team have clearly stated they would not have won 2011 but for Scott's arrival ....that, rather than embracing a superb effort from a determined group of players who refused to concede and believed in themselves.

Today, Geelong confirmed they are a genuine chance this year. They are showing traits necessary for success. There are a number of threats no doubt. but it would be churlish to say that Geelong is not one of them.
If you dismiss being terribly outcoached in the first qtr then scotts coaching performance was amazing. Best ever coached game.

Last edited:
Don’t know why the master coach still can’t get these first quarter disasters out of these players though. It’s been happening for a very long time.

It’s a real concern. Imagine going 6 goals down in a prelim against the tuggers. They would bury us.

Especially so after byes, and it looks like the afl wants a pre-finals bye again. And if we actually do win the first final, then we get another bye.

Why does it keep happening?

Don’t know why the master coach still can’t get these first quarter disasters out of these players though. It’s been happening for a very long time.

It’s a real concern. Imagine going 6 goals down in a prelim against the tuggers. They would bury us.

Especially so after byes, and it looks like the afl wants a pre-finals bye again. And if we actually do win the first final, then we get another bye.

Give some credit to a red hot Bulldogs team. EVERYTHING went perfectly for them in Q1.
That we were able to methodically arrest their dominance and completely control the game for 3Q after that is stunning.
That is our best win this year so far.
You can remain concerned; I am happy we could win a game after being 6 goals down at quarter time- a very rare occurrence.
If he could have prevented that first quarter onslaught, he would have.
It may be a case of "mission accomplished"- let's see what they have, and how do we react!!
And sure, against Tigers, we would likely not come back like that, but they are the team to beat, and I am always happier to be the team hunting them than to be hunted like we were for a while yesterday.

Give some credit to a red hot Bulldogs team. EVERYTHING went perfectly for them in Q1.
That we were able to methodically arrest their dominance and completely control the game for 3Q after that is stunning.
You can remain concerned; I am happy we could win a game after being 6 goals down at quarter time- a very rare occurrence.
It may be a case of "mission accomplished"- let's see what they have, and how do we react!!
And sure, against Tigers, we would likely not come back like that, but they are the team to beat, and I am always happier to be the team hunting them than to be hunted like we were for a while yesterday.
I'm gonna get hammered for saying this but I kind of hope we lose and coach differently against the Tigers.
Think we'll learn a lot more from a loss than a win and would rather not show our hand early.
Same as last night. I'm way more happy we were 6 goals down and won. That is way more a valuable experience than just dominating the whole way.
It's all about the end.

I'm gonna get hammered for saying this but I kind of hope we lose and coach differently against the Tigers.
Think we'll learn a lot more from a loss than a win and would rather not show our hand early.
Same as last night. I'm way more happy we were 6 goals down and won. That is way more a valuable experience than just dominating the whole way.
It's all about the end.
I don't, but I get your point.

And our most recent 2 finals, we clearly won the first halves easily.
After our most recent 2 byes, we lost to GWS, but smashed Hawthorn.
There is no bye issue anymore. It's all about who we play and when. The opposition is never respected enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And our most recent 2 finals, we clearly won the first halves easily.
After our most recent 2 byes, we lost to GWS, but smashed Hawthorn.
There is no bye issue anymore. It's all about who we play and when. The opposition is never respected enough.
They aren't byes and you know it.
The bye issue still scares the crap out of me.
But not so much this year as the team will be together the whole time.

They aren't byes and you know it.
The bye issue still scares the crap out of me.
But not so much this year as the team will be together the whole time.
Any longer than usual gap between games should worry you, if it's about losing momentum.
The MASSIVE advantage this year is that we will not lose to Pies, or Tigers at the G at THEIR home grounds.
If we have to play Port in SA, or Lions in Q'land, or WCE in WA, so be it. It means we have not made top 2.

Pretty good game for confirmation bias.. One side will say... see... look at that start.. Bad Scott... The other side will say.. see... look at that come back and in game adjustment. Great Scott ..

Would we start asleep against the Tigers..id hope not, I doubt they would miss the goals that help us to win, and Im not sure we could put them on ice and stop the scoring like that.

Last night the ingrained tactics blended with scoring that Scott has had a hand in implementing had a critical role in the win.. Was it his fault that they started slow... hard to judge but he has to own it in any case..it comes with the job.

and calmly redressed the issues at hand by quarter time.
The issue for Scott is that his team wasn't prepared well enough, and it took until quarter time for any effective changes to be made. Until that point it was a free for all for the Bulldogs. They walked all over us. And you might say that does happen to everyone, even the good teams, from time to time. For Geelong, however, it's something that has happened a lot, especially during the finals under him. Team gets jumped early, don't adjust quickly enough and the game is over in the first quarter. Like last night Geelong may play pretty well for the rest of the game, but it's very hard to overcome such significant.

As it was, despite outplaying them considerably after quarter time, we just got past the Bulldogs when they had 2 players on the bench. The Bulldogs are a marginal top 8 side who have not been all that impressive against decent opposition this season. They are not a Richmond, Collingwood, WCE or Brisbane. That was not a final where the pressure would be even greater (mental and physical). If we concede a quarter like that in finals, as we have done many times before, there's no coming back. There wasn't against Pies last year or Melbourne the year before or Adelaide the year before that or Sydney the year before that.

Any longer than usual gap between games should worry you, if it's about losing momentum.
Yeah the players aren't going away on holidays (or to the NBA lol), they are all stuck together.
Team togetherness and stuff, will be almost impossible to switch off and not think about what is coming.
I dunno, I think it will help.

The MASSIVE advantage this year is that we will not lose to Pies, or Tigers at the G at THEIR home grounds.
If we have to play Port in SA, or Lions in Q'land, or WCE in WA, so be it. It means we have not made top 2.
Is not playing those teams at the 'G a good thing? I mean, it kills an excuse for posters on here if we lose.

Pretty good game for confirmation bias.. One side will say... see... look at that start.. Bad Scott... The other side will say.. see... look at that come back and in game adjustment. Great Scott ..

Would we start asleep against the Tigers..id hope not, I doubt they would miss the goals that help us to win, and Im not sure we could put them on ice and stop the scoring like that.

Last night the ingrained tactics blended with scoring that Scott has had a hand in implementing had a critical role in the win.. Was it his fault that they started slow... hard to judge but he has to own it in any case..it comes with the job.
We had 4 wins on the go, Dogs were red hot after trouncing Demons, and we played as we often do, lack-lustre and just a bit off. How often do we lose games like that after such starts? Who really thought at 6 goals down, we would do what we did? The second quarter immediately gave us hope.

Is not playing those teams at the 'G a good thing? I mean, it kills an excuse for posters on here if we lose.
It's at least a fair thing. If we lose to Tigers at the GABBA , then they are just too good, which is really the expectation. But if not, why not question their unfair finals HGA??

I melted a little last night about the way we failed to cope with the pressure in the first quarter, and said our inability to deal with genuine pressure over the years cast a shadow on Scott's H & A record.

BUT

by game's end I was left impressed by the response by Scott and the team, and am beginning to think that they've finally learned how to deal with genuine pressure and not panic.

For the first time I'm seeing Scott as being proactive, able to find answers, and getting the team to buy in and remain calm.

We just might be in this 😀

by game's end I was left impressed by the response by Scott and the team, and am beginning to think that they've finally learned how to deal with genuine pressure and not panic.
Took them too long. Conceded too much damage. They do that against a good team in finals, they lose. Very simple. Richmond won't let us fight back like that.

The issue for Scott is that his team wasn't prepared well enough, and it took until quarter time for any effective changes to be made. Until that point it was a free for all for the Bulldogs. They walked all over us. And you might say that does happen to everyone, even the good teams, from time to time. For Geelong, however, it's something that has happened a lot, especially during the finals under him. Team gets jumped early, don't adjust quickly enough and the game is over in the first quarter. Like last night Geelong may play pretty well for the rest of the game, but it's very hard to overcome such significant.

As it was, despite outplaying them considerably after quarter time, we just got past the Bulldogs when they had 2 players on the bench. The Bulldogs are a marginal top 8 side who have not been all that impressive against decent opposition this season. They are not a Richmond, Collingwood, WCE or Brisbane. That was not a final where the pressure would be even greater (mental and physical). If we concede a quarter like that in finals, as we have done many times before, there's no coming back. There wasn't against Pies last year or Melbourne the year before or Adelaide the year before that or Sydney the year before that.
CS said last night they were in full humility with that win. and we had luck go our way, but still that second quarter was the blueprint for 3 quarters. Do you expect us to win every week? Did you not rate the Dogs at all? They are capable of excellent quarters and had they not lost 2 players, would probably have won.
'To me, it's a reality check. We are hungry and desperate, and we have Danger and Hawkins. But we should not be flag favourites. There are better teams, but we are bridging that gap. Lesser lights have been shining this year. Let's give CS credit for getting the very best out of Rohan, Blicavs, Guthrie, Menegola. They are allowing Danger to store up energy for super cameo efforts like last night. Plus a fit Stanley is huge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back