Is the MCG a big advantage on Grand Final Day for Victorians against Interstate Sides? /Are Interstaters advantaged during the home and away season?

Is the MCG a significant advantage for Victorian sides against Interstate Teams on Grand Final Day?

• Yes, It's a big advantage for the Vic Big Boys

Votes: 384 66.0%
  • No. If you're good enough you'll win no matter who you play where you play

Votes: 198 34.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The 34% represents the MCG home team supporter denial.

Of course it's an advantage. Tell a follower of any other sport in the world the fact that a higher-ranked interstate grand finalist has to play on their opponent's home ground.. They'll laugh at you, and rightly so.
Well in Soccer/American Football, the Finals of championships/tournaments is often pre-determined.
Most week to week playoffs/finals though are either split Home/Away or played at the home team ground, but most of those sporting codes don't have teams host home games at multiple grounds so there's not really a VIC stadium equivalent.

Fair question, I think the shortened quarters have mitigated against the shortened time between games to some degree. It would be more pronounced if we were playing 120+ minute games like usual. Having a longer/shorter break in isolation is not that big a deal, it all depends on consecutive shorter breaks and consecutive longer breaks, for example a team may come in with a shorter break, but may have had a longer break than the other team prior to their previous game, so I think across the season, it would go deeper than just the breaks between individual games.

Secondly, I still think the best teams are the best teams, and to answer on Richmond specifically, I'd be confident we would still be in the top 4 with another schedule. I think spending months away from home and not playing at the MCG is a bigger factor than an extra days rest over a few weeks of games is, so it's one of many variables.
If anything I think tigers are disadvantaged by the shorter quarters

Hypothetical: Would a GF involving WC or Freo v any other side played at Optus stadium be considered an advantage?
If the ticketing arrangements were like they currently are for the GF - an even mix of fans of both competing clubs, neutrals, and corporate hangers on, then no it wouldn’t be an advantage.

No because because people are really dumb when coming up with these arguments.

Do people really think WC get to the G an go fu** the grounds 3metres different and forget where to stand? It's ******* nonsense.

The home ground advantage comes from the crowds. WC is so supreme because it's the furthest for VIC teams to travel so less away supporters.

If they split the tickets for your ground like they did the MCG on GF day an had 40,000 corporates and 10k each for WC an the opposition team the home ground advantage would completely disappear.

Prelim finals at home have a huge advantage, GFs do not.
Further to your point, I’ve read up on research studies I could find on this topic, and in US major league sports the statistical advantage for home teams with a lopsided crowd was exactly the same when 2 teams from the same city played (but ticketing went 90% to home team), as for when a team travelled interstate and copped a hostile crowd. Conversely when teams travelled geographically but crowd split was equal then HGA disappeared, as far as statistical winning %. In other words, travel doesn’t matter, one-sided crowds do.

Well I appreciate you sticking to your principles even when they're not convenient. Not many people do that.

You might be interested in this infographic showing how teams have performed this year:

View attachment 960925
brisbane kissed on the dick by circumstance

Further to your point, I’ve read up on research studies I could find on this topic, and in US major league sports the statistical advantage for home teams with a lopsided crowd was exactly the same when 2 teams from the same city played (but ticketing went 90% to home team), as for when a team travelled interstate and copped a hostile crowd. Conversely when teams travelled geographically but crowd split was equal then HGA disappeared, as far as statistical winning %. In other words, travel doesn’t matter, one-sided crowds do.
sooooource:?

oh and im assuming you are talking about us teams that have all found some way af acknowledging hga by various means such as giving the higher placed finalist one extra home game in a gf series or rotating gf’s or holding the gfs at the highest placed finishers home ground.

or are you talking about another sport altogether

The 34% represents the MCG home team supporter denial.

Of course it's an advantage. Tell a follower of any other sport in the world the fact that a higher-ranked interstate grand finalist has to play on their opponent's home ground.. They'll laugh at you, and rightly so.
This is incorrect in American football, the superbowl ground is selected a couple of years ahead so if you happen to make it in the year its being played at your ground you could easily be the lower team and get a home final.

What overseas sports would find odd is allowing a team too play on a ground that's shape is not the same as the other grounds, that I would think is unheard of.

If anything I think tigers are disadvantaged by the shorter quarters
It hasn't suited our gameplan and playstyle no, but they've been able to still get the job done. There's a heap of things in 2020 that's worked for or against some teams.

sooooource:?

oh and im assuming you are talking about us teams that have all found some way af acknowledging hga by various means such as giving the higher placed finalist one extra home game in a gf series or rotating gf’s or holding the gfs at the highest placed finishers home ground.

or are you talking about another sport altogether
I'm not sure what you're asking. In US sports like basketball they indeed confer home ground advantage and play best of 7 series, because all of the tickets go to the home team. That doesn't happen in the AFL GF. You act like the Victorian teams gets 90% of the fans at the AFL GF.

I'm not sure what you're asking. In US sports like basketball they indeed confer home ground advantage and play best of 7 series, because all of the tickets go to the home team. That doesn't happen in the AFL GF. You act like the Victorian teams gets 90% of the fans at the AFL GF.
Been to 3 grand finals and it seems like the West Coast Supporters have been outnumbered by a decent amount.

I think at the very least there should be way more tickets available for members of the teams playing and if the finals are MCG only the AFL should subsidise the airfares for interstate teams supporters. Cost me over 5000 in total last time

Interesting that we have played in over fifty finals. Twice as many away from Perth winning around 80 percent at home and around 40 percent away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) a victorian fan pays a bus ticket and the ticket price - its thousands for an interstate fan.

2) if you think the fanbase is the same at the g - see point one.

3) is it just because of the ticketing?

did you just make that up

WCE possible failure to make top 4 may be rewarded with a home final, instead of a trip to Port Adelaide.

1) have you seen our record against port at ao? Are you scared of brisbane at the gabba?

2) as well as the long way home

3) this rule has been in place for a long time - heres a more perplexing rule, in a normal season richmond can place ninth - never beat a team away from the mcg , get to a grand final via 8th being demoted for breaching a rule and have a home gf vs an interstate team that won every single game home and away throughout the whole season.

Last edited:
Well I appreciate you sticking to your principles even when they're not convenient. Not many people do that.

You might be interested in this infographic showing how teams have performed this year:

View attachment 960925
Out of interest, i would love to break down the “neutral” games by travel by one competing team to a ground/hub where the other team didn’t have to travel?

This is incorrect in American football, the superbowl ground is selected a couple of years ahead so if you happen to make it in the year its being played at your ground you could easily be the lower team and get a home final.

Superbowl is predetermined, yes but it's a different venue every year... That's in no way equivalent to playing the GF at the MCG every year.

What overseas sports would find odd is allowing a team too play on a ground that's shape is not the same as the other grounds, that I would think is unheard of.

All the grounds are a different shape, WTF are you on about.

away from the mcg you beat the bottom 5 and port.
Seems you are fixated on our 2017 run.

Would you think the same about the Eagles this year if they saluted?

Outside of Optus you have beaten 13, 15, 16, 18 and the Saints.

And lost to four of the five clubs that are in the eight that you played away from your home ground.

Been to 3 grand finals and it seems like the West Coast Supporters have been outnumbered by a decent amount.

I think at the very least there should be way more tickets available for members of the teams playing and if the finals are MCG only the AFL should subsidise the airfares for interstate teams supporters. Cost me over 5000 in total last time

Interesting that we have played in over fifty finals. Twice as many away from Perth winning around 80 percent at home and around 40 percent away
Def agree that afl should subsidise travel for visiting fans, and should allocate more tickets to competing club members. It is totally unfair that it costs you guys thousands and thousands.

The GFs I’ve been to I couldn’t say it was a 50-50 split but both teams were well represented - very different to prelim finals which can be pretty one sided. crowds, as a poster noted above.

Yeah you’d expect different winning records for home and in the road in finals, as WC have, but if what I’m saying is true that difference would disappear in GFs, where ticketing is basically neutral. And indeed integrate teams have an exactly 50% record in GFs v Vics

Seems you are fixated on our 2017 run.

Would you think the same about the Eagles this year if they saluted?

Outside of Optus you have beaten 13, 15, 16, 18 and the Saints.

And lost to four of the five clubs that are in the eight that you played away from your home ground.
Well they don’t get to play the match which decides the outcome of the entire season on their home deck by default each year. So no.

1) a victorian fan pays a bus ticket and the ticket price - its thousands for an interstate fan.

2) if you think the fanbase is the same at the g - see point one.

3) is it just because of the ticketing?

did you just make that up
1 yes that’s unfair and I’d be very happy for afl to subsidise interstate travellers for the GF

2 despite 1 you guys always use up your full ticket allocation, so not sure what you’re talking about.

3 please put more efforts into your posts. Once again it’s unclear what you’re trying to say

No - when I have a spare half an hour I’ll find that research paper on HGA

Fan wise there is no advantage as tickets are meant to be evenly distributed. Ground wise it doesn't advantage all Victorian teams. As a dogs supporter in 2016 we played at the G once or twice during the season. The advantage would lie in the travel side of things. Victorian teams don't have to travel (let's get honest is travelling such a bad thing). Perhaps the fact you wake up in your own bed is an advantage?

Well they don’t get to play the match which decides the outcome of the entire season on their home deck by default each year. So no.
Way to miss a point.

One things for sure, this year. No club would be so arrogant to reserve seat 1A on the plane trip home for the premiership cup.

Last edited:
You guys seem to take it as a given that playing at the G on GF day is a big advantage for tenants. Given the crowd neutrality on Gf day, and given that the week is disrupted for both clubs due to Brownlow, GF parade etc, what do you believe creates such an advantage?

Sleeping in your own bed vs a hotel?

Ground dimensions?

Psychological benefit of familiarity with the ground?

Physical effects of not flying at the start of the week?

The onus is on you guys to prove these things have an effect, especially given that we are talking about professional athletes who are well used to all of the above. Given the exactly 50% record of interstate teams vs Vics in GFs, I’d say you’ve got away to go.

You guys seem to take it as a given that playing at the G on GF day is a big advantage for tenants. Given the crowd neutrality on Gf day, and given that the week is disrupted for both clubs due to Brownlow, GF parade etc, what do you believe creates such an advantage?

Sleeping in your own bed vs a hotel?

Ground dimensions?

Psychological benefit of familiarity with the ground?

Physical effects of not flying at the start of the week?

The onus is on you guys to prove these things have an effect, especially given that we are talking about professional athletes who are well used to all of the above. Given the exactly 50% record of interstate teams vs Vics in GFs, I’d say you’ve got away to go.
Dude .. prove these things don't effect the players. Lol

Back