Toast Round 17: Collingwood 68-46 Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure that can be organised. At worst a three bedroom apartment with some sort of balcony or courtyard.

I'm sure they'd use the same quarantine facility as Ablett and Edwards which seemed to be on a golf course with lots of amenity. They'd put some staff with him as well to help with the training. Assuming of course he decides to go.

That's a fair appraisal of our chances based on what we've put on display during the year but I sense that we're building. Momentum is a magic ingredient and we seem to be gaining it with stars coming back in and others finding form.

We still have a worrying number of players experiencing the yipps (Thomas, C. Brown) but a good result against Port will give the team confidence that they can shake things up this year.

On another happy note Tyler Brown will be a very valuable player for us, his performance last night put that on display for all to see and IQ is made of all the right stuff. Reports of this team's death have been greatly exaggerated.

I can't see us being a huge force in the finals unless a switch magically clicks. Sometimes that can happen. The Doggies looked shot in 2017, but managed to get key players back over the bye week and then just got on a roll. We are in a somewhat similar position with some real guns still to come back in. But based on our form over the last month, we'll be honest but lucky to win a final. Still, you gotta be in it to win it, and we have at least put ourselves in the hunt. I'm sure there will be a few teams in the top 8 dissapointed to see us scrape in.

I'm sure they'd use the same quarantine facility as Ablett and Edwards which seemed to be on a golf course with lots of amenity. They'd put some staff with him as well to help with the training. Assuming of course he decides to go.
That's not how quarantine works. The current hub is about to finish as the occupants are about to finish their 14 day lockdown - which they completed together. Steele can't simply enter that now. He has to do a hard hotel quarantine on his own (or with partner).

Callum Browns shot on goal never looked like it but he managed to make it even worse than expected.

He also missed another opportunity when only 4 metres out in heavy traffic. He would have had clean air if he had thrown it on to his left boot but refused, and the right foot snap was easily smothered.

He’s not handling the ball well nor sticking tackles. Unfortunately he has to go. He has zero confidence.

It’s about the third week running where some Clangers or strokes of luck have ended up in flattering the opponents score.
Yeah... but they did play on in the goal square and get pantsed for an 12-point turnaround in our favour. The game was played on a pretty fine edge in many respects.

Callum Browns shot on goal never looked like it but he managed to make it even worse than expected.

He also missed another opportunity when only 4 metres out in heavy traffic. He would have had clean air if he had thrown it on to his left boot but refused, and the right foot snap was easily smothered.

He’s not handling the ball well nor sticking tackles. Unfortunately he has to go. He has zero confidence.
out for Sidebottom in the elimination final

Bullshit, you’d take 2 weeks parental leave and spend time with your missus and new kid just like every other person.
Not if you're self employed
Not if your on a project that has a time line
Not if you're a emerges services person at present

Fair assumption

That’s not how it works champ. Every person has a right to immediate parental leave, footballers shouldn’t be held to a different set of rules because you want your team to win a game.
Mate
You must be obe one

Again if a guys on a contract has to fit a time line and has penalties when missing said timeliness
Might be retention on the tender

Jesus Christ this board is warped. Please detail every facet of your personal life so we can strip you bare.
Me
If I get a criminal conviction
If I bring my employer into disrepute
If I provide dodgy outcomes
If I fail a drug test

If I don't make targets and are not of benefit
See you later

I wish I was on 500
Oh and I'm better educated than a footballer
Generate more gst for the government

The real world

Besides
He met his missed as a Collingwood player
Who knows might have helped

Iimo t's a moot discussion there's no way he won't play

Loves the club and that's not him

Scrappy win, but sewing up a finals position is something.

De Goey exceptional - anyone suggesting he should be morphed into a midfielder simply doesn't know football.

Cox had his best game for 18 months, Quaynor was poised, and Treloar looked more composed with ball in hand. Crisp & Daicos also very sound.

Grundy continues to play poorly, Mihocek needs to lift if he wants a decent pay-cheque & C.Brown/J.Thomas were ghosts.

Onto next week.
No love for magden
Now that amazed me

Just while we’re still all lauding Mason Cox for his game last night, why not enjoy my only other memory of him kicking a goal on the run after a bounce lol. 4 years ago against Geelong!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting discussion about Sidebum.

My son was born in 1996, I was a young up-and-comer in my field and had been recently promoted to run the development on a telecoms software project. The day after my son's birth I went back to the office and worked without a day off for 21 days. It's one of my biggest regrets.

I resigned from that job on the 22nd day. I prioritised my wife and son in that instance and will understand if Steele does.

That doesn't excuse him from being a complete knob during the year but we should take his wife (and baby) into account in this situation. If they decide as a couple that he should play, well awesome for us.
Did you have any real camaraderie
You know like a team
Like a long term relationship with your fellow employees and employers
Did you have a sense of responsibility to your workplace or workmates
Or did you have and we're showing dilegence at work and that commitment to further your families future

Strongly suggest that a sporting team would be a different environment to day a office
Rekin
Very few professions would be that tight

Software development teams are fairly tight, especially on projects that are exciting. It wasn't your typical corporate environment because it was a creative process.

The core team had been together from day dot and were great people. It was a very tough decision to walk away.

It's not the same as a sporting team but on a general principle family > work.

Did you have any real camaraderie
You know like a team
Like a long term relationship with your fellow employees and employers
Did you have a sense of responsibility to your workplace or workmates
Or did you have and we're showing dilegence at work and that commitment to further your families future

Strongly suggest that a sporting team would be a different environment to day a office
Rekin
Very few professions would be that tight

Even if a new father doesn't take paternity leave, in ordinary circumstances they still get to see their newborn and partner at the end of each day.

Steele wouldn't have this. To re-join his teammates at this point would mean that he's willing to be completely separated from his family until late October.

He might well decide to do that, but no one should reasonably expect it of him.

Plan for finals without him.

Over-sight, Darky - I've given Madge plentys of plaudits lately. And he was again good last night.
Agree to a point, not sure I liked him pointing to his head when he had just dropped an easy mark. (Dropped a couple actually).

I imagine he did that as he thought Quaynor? should have kicked shorter instead to him?

I am not a fan of those displays. Go up and tell him later.

Just while we’re still all lauding Mason Cox for his game last night, why not enjoy my only other memory of him kicking a goal on the run after a bounce lol. 4 years ago against Geelong!

How's the crowd noise. Miss that

Agree to a point, not sure I liked him pointing to his head when he had just dropped an easy mark. (Dropped a couple actually).

I imagine he did that as he thought Quaynor? should have kicked shorter instead to him?

I am not a fan of those displays. Go up and tell him later.
I actually liked it - it shows leadership, and that Jack is thinking.

Granted he still should have hung on to the chest-mark.

From memory, the Gold Coast player (King?) got enough touch on the incoming footy to cause a deviation of its course so it became a much tougher mark.

Agree - but for me it was great insight - go short, to then free up Magden for the next over the option where he would have been free running towards the wing. Even if Magden marks we would have lost the rebound advantage the correct play would have given us.
That said - if Crisp misses the short kick probably a goal results, so his choice was understandable.

Last edited:
For the third consecutive year, Collingwood have qualified for finals in 2020 by overcoming Gold Coast by 22 points. The Magpies had to overcome a slow and haphazard start in the opening term where they lost field position, disposals and clearances, to ultimately grind the Suns over the next three quarters by playing a quicker and cleaner brand of direct footy that enabled Collingwood's forwards to take more marks and convert most of their opportunities. Gold Coast threatened numerous times to pull away or tighten the screws on the scoreboard, but failed to punish the Woods with several goals missed, while they also gave away free kicks in their attacking arc, which allowed the Magpies off the hook and were able to counter-attack with goals that made the Suns pay dearly for their poor conversion as the game went longer and deeper. Greater cohesion and conversion from Collingwood's forwards proved to be the difference in a dour and scrappy encounter for most of the night.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from disposals by +24 (325 - 301), handballs were won by +24 (136 - 112), contested possessions had a differential of +1 (117 - 116), while uncontested possessions were +38 (211 - 173), and +2 for intercept possessions (64 - 62). Marks had an advantage of +14 (82 - 68), with uncontested marks won by +8 (72 - 64), and Contested Marks were won by +6 (10 - 4), while tackles had a margin of +8 (55 - 47), and +4 for Inside 50s (45 - 41). Gold Coast won the hit-outs by +4 (35 - 31), clearances by +3 (30 - 27), centre clearances were won by +3 (10 - 7), while Marks Inside 50 had a differential of +3 (8 - 5). Kicks (189 each), stoppage clearances (20 apiece), and Tackles Inside 50 (7 all) were the only neutral categories from the match.

Adam Treloar (26 disposals @ 58%, 296 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 16 handballs, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 centre clearances & 4 Inside 50s) stood up under pressure, and straightened Collingwood's ball movement when he decided to be aggressive with his decision making.

Josh Daicos (21 disposals @ 76%, 301 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 11 handballs, 5 marks, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) displayed composure with his ball use, which has been a hallmark of his game for the entire season. Kept his width on the wing, and used it well.

Scott Pendlebury (19 disposals @ 84%, 186 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 12 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 7 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50's) recovered from a barren opening term (no disposals) to generate ball movement in the clinches, before finding time and space to kick the ball a bit more in the second half. Pendlebury knows how to find time and space every time.

Taylor Adams (18 disposals @ 72%, 299 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 7 handballs, 5 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances & 4 Inside 50s) found it tough early, but got better as the game progressed by finding time and space to escape pressure with neat ball use.

Jamie Elliott (16 disposals @ 75%, 272 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 3 score involvements & 6 Inside 50s) flourished again as a midfielder by providing territory and field position to allow his team more time to defend behind the ball. Elliott looms as a point of difference for the remainder of the season.

Tyler Brown (14 disposals @ 86%, 219 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) played his most assured game for the club. Brown was able to gather the ball cleanly, took some marks, and capped it off with a goal.

Levi Greenwood (14 disposals @ 50%, 161 metres gained, 6 contested posssessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) played with an uncompromising edge of hardness and toughness. Ball use needs work, but he has got the ingredients that will be required in finals.

Brodie Grundy (12 disposals @ 100%, 5 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 27 kit-outs, 3 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 marks, 8 tackles & 4 score involvements) got outplayed by Jarrod Witts for most of the night, but he was able to bounce back by winning his fair share of hit-outs, and locked the ball in with ferocious tackles.

Jack Crisp (23 disposals @ 78%, 356 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) generated significant transition from defence in his 150th game, and pushed up the ground to be an ultra-aggressive option for his teammates.

John Noble (21 disposals @ 76%, 262 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 2 score involvements & 4 Rebound 50s) has become a revelation as a small defender. Maintained possession effectively and took marks to slow the game down, especially when the Suns were running rampant.

Isaac Quaynor (17 disposals @ 88%, 372 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements & 5 Rebound 50s) provided damage off half-back with his desire to kick long to a contest or biting off a risky kick to open the play up for the team, and he worked extremely hard to take several marks behind the ball. Quaynor & Noble are complimenting each other brilliantly, like Crisp does with Maynard.

Brayden Maynard (16 disposals @ 88%, 452 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 7 interercept possessions, 15 kicks, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) was exceptional with his booming kicks out of defence working a treat. However, he did screw up two kick-ins that resulted in goals to the Suns. Aside from those two blunders, Maynard intercepted and linked up brilliantly.

Jordan Roughead (14 disposals @ 64%, 240 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 marks & 4 Rebound 50s) played with a bit more dare behind the ball by taking crucial marks before finding a loose target to maintain possession.

Darcy Moore (14 disposals @ 86%, 250 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 tackles & 5 Rebound 50s) pushed higher up the ground to imapct contests in the air, before using the ball effectively from defence to commence each attack on transition.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (16 disposals @ 81%, 199 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 7 handballs, 9 marks, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was the conduit option for the Magpies as a high half-forward that would lead up at the ball carrier and take several marks without failing. Hoskin-Elliott was also able to kick a crucial goal against the run of play in the opening term. Found form against the Suns, and will need to replicate that against Port Adelaide before the finals.

Jordan De Goey (10 disposals @ 60%, 218 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 2 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 7 score involvements & 4 goals) made an immediate impact upon return by scoring three goals in the first half when Collingwood were under the pump, before booting his 4th goal in the third term to keep the Woods in touch with the Suns. De Goey was the ultimate difference in a night where goals were at a premium.

Mason Cox (8 disposals @ 88%, 138 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 4 hit-outs, 5 kicks, 3 handballs, 7 marks, 4 Contested Marks, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) finally strung a game together for the first time in 2020, by providing a contest at all times, took some great marks, and kicked two telling goals. His second goal in the last quarter was amazing, and the Woods never looked back once he kicked that goal. Replicate that standard for the remainder of 2020, Mason.

Collingwood's next game will be against Port Adelaide on September 21 at the Gabba. The plan against the Power is to dominate field position, clearances & Inside 50s over four quarters. That is how the Power play their best footy, and the Magpies will need to beat them at their own game to collect the points in Scott Pendlebury's 314th game. Pendlebury will pass Tony Shaw (313) for the most club games, and will ultimately pass the captaincy record previously set by current coach Nathan Buckley who captained the club 161 times. Scott Pendlebury will lead the Woods out for the 162nd time as the club's skipper, meaning he will break two records in the same game. The team result will be more prevalent than the individual accolades that Pendlebury will have. Get it done against a powerful (excuse the pun) team before the finals.

Agree - but for me it was great insight - go short, to then free up Magden for the next over the option where he would have been free running towards the wing. Even if Magden marks we would have lost the rebound advantage the correct play would have given us.
That said - if IQ misses the short kick probably a goal results, so his choice was understandable.

I think the kick came from Crisp...Madge had a good point..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back