Preview Round 18 Adelaide vs Richmond, Adelaide Oval, 4.40pm Adelaide time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep have to agree, terrific preview. The previews this year as a rule have been great. Thanks to everyone.

Tricky game this one. Trying to ease a couple of blokes in to give them some game time. I hope Astbury gets a run and gets through because he frees up Balta and potentially Grimes going forward. Broady has done nothing wrong but he's injury cover now it would seem.

It will be good to give Shedda some game time and get his touch up to speed. What depth we seem to have these days. All the injuries have given us a great chance to have a look and develop some great kids.

There seems to be a rumour about RCD every week now. MC is going to be fascinating. Who gets rested ? Who comes in to cover the injured talls ?

We can't fool around too much. This mob have their tails up and will be hellbent on spoiling our party. Very interesting couple of days ahead. Third spot has a nice synergy about it.

You could have atleast used the correct picture , We needed to remind people of the Yellow Jumper we wore on the day
you used the 2019 premiership pictures :rolleyes:
I didn't use any pictures

We are too professional these days to let this slip

Expecting one of those games which is horrible to watch but ultimately ends in us winning by ~24 points
I reckon could be the opposite and high scoring..
Crows are playing a really attractive fast moving game atm..
hope we do the same and it’s a goal fest

Is the Michael Roach Award based on H&A only or inclusive of finals? With Lynchy out with his ‘string Jack can catch up with 2 goals, take an outright lead with 3.

Win here would put the bow on our decimation of the crows by locking in their first spoon. They will be keen to avoid that and knock us out of top 4.

Can't see them thinking about priority picks at all.

We're gonna break them some more, They'll be merging with port adelaide after this

nah! They will merge with Collingwood and become the Adelaide Magpies wearing the black and white prison jumper. Just to repond when Port gives them s*## about their first wooden-spoon. Yeah yeah... But watcha think about our jumper...?

There is a big rumour going around that the Adelaide Crows have put a request in to the snowflakes at AFL that they demand

the Richmond club song not be played when the Mighty Tigers run onto the ground.

They are pleading on psychological grounds.

eat em alive tigers

Who would have thought that three years after the 2017 grand final, the two combatants would meet in the final home and away round in 2020 with one club playing for a top four spot and the other playing to avoid the wooden spoon?
Most pundits would have predicted that it would be the Crows playing for a home final and the Tigers slipping back to the abyss that was customary for the better part of four decades.
Not so.
Instead, Adelaide has since sacked its coach and tumbled down the ladder while Richmond has gone on to win one more flag.
Footy is a funny game.

wJSyjX49uc2u6G4lNo3lYpa2sJhMEGgfjvjCXCr4OyhaIvAGqoyU9XQgEa8JvLKQBi_JPukgnwrj7aGx6yNfwN7u8zrLcYQObB-_1cTCpEoFiBuUwWpDHi9CAaJ3qiQZa0wHwfND

KpUL3t71_NqqtNjE4aC7uBvXmYbapLvCLf7bCsugRnjKpB_AFrv1j2-tgTIlA0AZXvpd0Ub6ZkMPrjsvFOkG2H6xk5hjS31dEVVtq1D7DYRKBe2SMdvigyL1kFdc61W4xyBWYfJK

THE FORM
The Crows lost their first 13 games and had commentators saying they are the worst side since Fitzroy’s fateful final year in the competition.
Sound familiar?
Damien Hardwick lost his first nine games in charge, prompting similar calls.
However Adelaide has won its past three games and looks to have found some confidence in the game plan.
Plucky wins over Hawthorn and finals contenders GWS and Carlton (wasn’t that great to see!) has resulted in the easybeat tag being rested.
The Crows are scoring well and credit where it’s due, it’s actually good to see a bottom side trying for wins rather than playing for draft picks (because that’s worked out so well for Carlton and Melbourne hasn’t it?).
Richmond is in peak form, having disposed of fellow flag contenders Brisbane, West Coast and Geelong in ominous fashion.

CH-CH-CH-CHANGES
I’m tipping Tex Walker to be back in the team, which would most likely be his final game. And what a way to go out in front of his home crowd by beating the reigning premiers and knocking them out of the final four. I know we like to hang it on the Big Texan, but if it is his final game, good luck in the future big fella and don’t let yourself go too much.

s4sVBKAjWr5LesRRNJEPbJnIsDcfW6oceJRbFeJbvW69KoicU3kfvL3uFNDSRwrnC3isBwqtHimDcJtdpJwLnU1GMx7gjYoDWuVKZxrr5AKR9xn-naL3e6nbKdTe5_SJsHLKXJdf

Daniel Talia will be brought back into the line up to play his 200th game while Bryce Gibbs will enter the land of retirement.
Frampton is likely to get dropped, but let’s hope he plays.
Richmond will make at least two forced changes with Ivan Soldo out for the rest of the season and most of the next and Tom Lynch nursing a hamstring strain.
It opens the door for Mabior Chol to return after booting five goals in the scratch match.

xK2Is3WXRYxJYbtHYPvnJlt_b9xb1Xzu4BTMRQaBNOrfUmfjTwaDW2UrMyb0e-usiWzobVM5KTuO_u6AO2otbXznFO3puo_ZHcA5bI5tJJSUtkxUOGHHO3qbYcLKegCUtH1BiqI6

It’s likely Shane Edwards will be back and David Astbury is also available.
I think Jake Aarts will be the unlucky casualty and Astbury could actually spend some time forward.
Yep, call me loony, call me crazy, but don’t call me two phones.

SNAKES AND LADDERS
The big question is, will Adelaide even want to win?
A win will almost certainly deny them the number one pick in the draft, but the motivation of avoiding the wooden spoon would be too great.
Western Bulldogs will get the real No 1 pick anyway, thanks to their NGA pick.
And is there any real difference between pick and pick two? Pick one can almost be a poisoned chalice if the lad doesn’t have the mental fortitude to deal with it.
For Richmond it’s simple. Win and finish top four. Lose and finish fifth and face an elimination final.

BATTLE OF THE MIDFIELDS AND RUCKS
I quite liked what I saw of Adelaide’s mids last week. The Crouch brothers back playing together adds a little bit of muscle. Gibbs also provided a bit on the weekend, but he won’t be there.
Richmond will want the game on the outside which would benefit the speed of Bolton.
Richmond will miss Ivan Soldo and with Riley O’Brien having a good season, the pressure will fall on Nankervis to compete with some pinch hitting by Chol.

DEE-FENCE
Himmelburg will need to be watched closely, but Richmond has one of the best defences in the competition.
Balta will take the poorer version of Tom Lynch and Astbury, if he plays, might get Himmelberg while Walker, McAdam and Stengle will need to be watched.
This leaves Grimes to do Grimes things like stage for free kicks if you listen to Kane Cornes and Vlastuin to do Vlastuin things such as just be a total mean bastard and ninja warrior.
9EEkE0uoNO833AThT5O8F-6-oa27w4ibvhoEixuswzdobYpQobMX_9Brq8LPuotBgJVbzqUR5qZ7H4PhpA_XVkua0k2laknS1Im5B0NRhowkoMlYrz4gDkTnc7kw5g9SutFWs4OY

With no Lynch to worry about, Talia will take Riewoldt while Hartigan will probably get our resting tall whether it be Chol or … actually we have nobody else. The Crows will need to be careful not to go in too tall in defence.

THE DEPARTMENT OF YOUTH
The Crows have some exciting young players in Rory Sloane, Taylor Walker and David Mackay.
In all seriousness, I like the look of Lachlan Sholl and Harry Schoenberg and they will be able to add a number one pick next year.
It’s difficult to believe that Noah Balta, Shai Bolton and Liam Baker are all under 22.

un56quFYpK4BlgjLZ2R77sSANGv7QHkp1nTx7bOsULXS01V2xZu_wq5F3NigV6QiL1imBQIhGTdyoMfCzQHiZTN1Ua_bozYCRwt8WC8vkKm_YUKZXdcfqfwFKT5Anxf6CrEj7HCN

GAMBLE RESPONSIBLY
Tyson Stengle to kick the first goal and then barely touch it after that.
Other options include Shane McAdam, Jack Riewoldt and the poor man’s Tom Lynch.
Please remember to gamble within your means.

THE VERDICT
I expect Adelaide to put up a real fight.
They pushed Geelong and Collingwood before winning their three games in a row, which suggests they will do the same here.
But I expect them to tire after half time.
If Richmond can’t beat the team sitting 18th on the ladder, it doesn’t deserve a top four spot.

Richmond 3.1.21 5.3.33 8.6.54 13.9.87
Adelaide 2.2.14 3.6.24 5.7.37 7.9.51
GOALS: Richmond: Riewoldt 3, Castagna 2, Martin 2, Chol, Rioli, Lambert, Bolton, Graham, McIntosh. Adelaide: Himmelberg 2, Walker, Stengle, B. Crouch, Lynch, McAdam.
BEST: Richmond: Vlastuin, Martin, Cotchin, Grimes, Baker, Short. Adelaide: M. Crouch, O’Brien, Smith, Laird, Sloane, Sholl.

THE FINAL WORD ACCORDING TO TUGGA
Fhn3naEdm4Mgto3wlLbyb49GfFz5XwxGqk3XB502H5PLmPADIn4G_y16NzmbhpDYwTqCwSf_WjQ8hgDOiVN-Oemqa3xKbt4Rhc0W24ZrzawUxeVi6GSymvrJRTtbEICSxRbveARf

Rt8krVyM0k73hhVu7rkeXPQQ-nnKT472rP4FaW5yEih070Pn6XkeEHPY1dsqczCACArpCA3LeNTih2G4qYKoc9rZZotEYuLYBxMbRCg-dP1N1vgz3E5nRtH7k6iD6Fwc7UmqBj5A

THE FINAL WORD ACCORDING TO DUSTY

362cGXsLojRcc51AcK7uPhFoFnE62pJ34L_gC7tMuVNeUbd8bu4aINZoOMszERmQpJQ83-D9NOdWrDtMSieqL8nNy-eouyM-CdGTtvV_ZsuhikdN5NP23Jbf4P5soLhOJ6FNggAq
Saving the best preview till the last round 👏

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a dream last night that we kicked a goal 10 seconds into the game, then proceeded to only kick one behind (at the end of the second quarter) and finished the game with 1.1 7, losing by 23 points.

Thankfully, every time I have ever dreamt about Richmond losing a game, we have won it in real life. Therefore Tigers by 48.

I reckon could be the opposite and high scoring..
Crows are playing a really attractive fast moving game atm..
hope we do the same and it’s a goal fest

If they try play a fast style we will absolutely destroy them, win by 70+. they will resort to defensive flood after we get up by 30 in the first quarter and the rest of the game will be s**t

I think this is unlikely. All the talk is that Caddy will play that role, if anyone does.
Makes sense. Markov seems to have finally settled in down back, and Caddy could be used in a similar role. I honestly think Caddy could be a weapon come finals time. A competitive, strong bodied, potentially damaging option when the heat is on.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Good news on the injury front, seems we will have sheds, Lynch, Astbury and Prestia all back for finals

yep, its great news

i think prestia is going to be a bit of a risk, but im happy for us to take it as hes a gun

finals 22 is so hard to pick:

B: Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
HB: Short, Balta, Houli
C: McIntosh, Prestia, Pickett
HF: Rioli, Edwards, Lambert
F: Martin, Lynch, Riewoldt
R: Nank, Cotchin, Bolton
Int: Baker, Chol, Castagna, Graham

Unlucky: Caddy, Broad, Markov, Aarts, Ross

yep, its great news

i think prestia is going to be a bit of a risk, but im happy for us to take it as hes a gun

finals 22 is so hard to pick:

B: Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
HB: Short, Balta, Houli
C: McIntosh, Prestia, Pickett
HF: Rioli, Edwards, Lambert
F: Martin, Lynch, Riewoldt
R: Nank, Cotchin, Bolton
Int: Baker, Chol, Castagna, Graham

Unlucky: Caddy, Broad, Markov, Aarts, Ross

I think Rioli is a bit lucky there, Aarts just feels like he has offered more this season imo.

As for Dion I think we have to take the risk, the times we have looked poor this season have been when we were undermanned in the middle and especially without Soldo we need experienced bodies

Against port we basically had Dustin on his own off a 4 day break that is what lost us the game and why I think Port despite being on top are the least threat in finals, bring Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton and it is an entirely different ball game

Then despite the fact we beat the Cats and West Coast. Cats had no Selwood or Ablett and the Eagles were missing a few as well iirc. Their respective fans are banking on their ins to even the ledger but discounting our big ins to come back and make theirs irrelevant.

I think Rioli is a bit lucky there, Aarts just feels like he has offered more this season imo.

As for Dion I think we have to take the risk, the times we have looked poor this season have been when we were undermanned in the middle and especially without Soldo we need experienced bodies

Against port we basically had Dustin on his own off a 4 day break that is what lost us the game and why I think Port despite being on top are the least threat in finals, bring Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton and it is an entirely different ball game

Then despite the fact we beat the Cats and West Coast. Cats had no Selwood or Ablett and the Eagles were missing a few as well iirc. Their respective fans are banking on their ins to even the ledger but discounting our big ins to come back and make theirs irrelevant.

Agree with all, except i believe rioli was back playing near his best against the cats and has been in decent form of late...

id trust his finals resume over what Aarts can offer, however i do like Aarts so wouldnt be too fussed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back